Please help stinky adopted pug!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help stinky adopted pug!

SHAYNE is offline New to the Village

Unhappy Please help stinky adopted pug!

I adopted a Pug a week ago, The only thing the organization could tell me is that she was a breeder at a puppy mill. She is around 3 or 4. She had a strong "puppy" smell to her. We have bathed her 3 times. The smell just keeps coming back. It appears to be coming from her nipples. But nothing is coming out of them. We I pick her up, she feels clammy or sweaty. Is perhaps her milk still coming out in very small portions? Or is the smell that she might have been is so bad it is taking a while to come off? Please let me know if you can help. It is almost un bearable. Thanks

bnwebm is offline Village VP

The quality of the food she was given, perhaps?

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Have you talked to the foster mom about the smell???? That would be my first step. I think if it continued, I'd have her checked out by a vet.

Bless your heart for adopting this little one!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Dogs with yeast and allergies are often "stinky". In the puppymill she was probably fed horrible food. I'm sure the rescue did better, but still a yeast prone dog needs top nutrition to be really healthy. Yeast feeds on sugars, so you want to keep a yeasty dog on low carbohydrate foods. Skip kibble for now and go to a canned, dehydrated or frozen food with no grains, rice, potato, sweet potato peas or tapioca. Because she is probably allergic as well, avoid beef and chicken for now. This is an excellent source for finding great dog food:

Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

Look for a 5 star food with little carbohydrate.

Also, her nose roll and/or ears may be infected and giving off odor as well. Do a search on here for tips on cleaning ears and nose rolls.

Most vets are not well-educated about nutrition and many are in bed with Science Diet and Royal Canin or other brands sold in vets offices. These are not usually the best nutrition and you pay a lot for a big bag of corn on some of them.

Another excellent thing you can use for yeasty dogs is a product called Nzymes.
    Nzymes - Nutritional supplements for pets and people
    Get the small yeast kit and follow the directions closely. I was very skeptical at first, but after hearing a lot of good things about it, I got some for my dogs and it really has lived up to the hype.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for adopting a rescue pug. We would love to see some pictures of her.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

Congratulations on adopting a pug. Listen to what Lisa has said, she knows her stuff when it comes to pugs. Good luck and have fun with her.
    Pug Mom to Roxie
    Zoey (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015) and Eddie (October 2, 2010 - September 10, 2019) have moved on to the bridge

Estrella_Luna is offline Village Admiral

I second the food comments. I adopted a pug and she was definitely a little stinky when I got her and very itchy. I got her some really nice oatmeal shampoo and conditioner and then changed her diet to a food that had fish oils in it. She is no longer stinky or itchy and has a soft shiny coat. However, I woudl suggest taking her to your vet anyway just to make sure she doesn't have anything else going on.

Star ~ Mom to Phoebe the Pug and the feisty felines, Garbo & Jubei
    "Owning a dog is slightly less expensive than being addicted to crack.
    ― Jen Lancaster

luluthepug is offline Village Governor

What they said! Yes, I'd be sure you are giving her the best possible food you can - and a visit to the vet would be a good idea.

We adopted a black pug named Lulu just 1.5 weeks ago - and WHAT an adventure THAT has been - but that is a story for another thread! Good for you for coming to the aid of this little girl - how is she doing? Lulu acts like she's been here her whole entire life - in that short time - and is sleeping under the covers with my oldest daughter. A true member of the family.

Enjoy your new addition - and please add pictures - we'd love to see her! What is her name?

And this Pug Village community is amazing - you'll see....!

Kara & Lulu
    I dip my pen in the blackest ink, because I'm not afraid of falling into my inkpot.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

owned by Walnut and the Baby Buddha aka Wally & Baby
    Penny (big, black, fluffy cat)
    our guardian angel, Lulu,
    and forever young kitties Max, Clara & Bessie

luvnpugs is offline Village Governor

All of my fosters had that stink. After the health improves the smell goes away. They all had yeasty skin. Most is due to neglect and poor diet. I feed them a good food and add a probiotic. Some have needed special shampoos and sprays for infected and yeasty skin, but once you clear up any yeast and infection, time with a good diet is all it takes. I have had my foster Tea Rose for over two months and after clearing up UTI's and skin problems, her skin is clearing up from the nasty black to pink healthy skin, fur filling in and most of the smell is gone! Its takes a while. Don't bathe too much either. It strips the skin of protective oils. Even a gentle shampoo. Zymox makes a great antibacterial/fungal shampoo and rinse. They also make a spray with cortisone for itching. Good stuff! I use the Zymox Otic for my Lucilles ears. No more yeasty ears! Good luck and enjoy your puggie!
    Mary Carpenter
    Rest in peace my sweet Sledgehammer.
    12/06/99-07/03/08

jstpugginalong is offline Village Admiral

First of all "THANK YOU FOR ADOPTING"!!!!! Second, as usual youv'e gotten some great advice from the Village's "experts" and all I can add is that if it were me I'd probably take her to the vet for a thorough once over and then examine her diet and possibly make some important changes! I also have a "rescue" boy and he came to me with the blackest tummy I'd ever seen! I took Lisa's advice and started him on Nzymes and within 2 weeks his tummy was turning a lovely shade of pink! I now feed all of my animals Nzymes and am considering using them myself!
    Good luck with your sweet girl! I predict many years of Pug loves and smooshies in your future!
    Teri
    Mom To
    RosieBearTrooperSadieHoss
    Fabulous Felines Quinn & Mia
    &
    My Beautiful Quarter Horses & Paints

SHAYNE is offline New to the Village

Thanks for all of the advice. I will try everything! She is adjusting well. We are working on the potty training.(she will only go on concrete) She is letting us hold her more. Also she is starting to play with the other dogs. (Only when she things we are not looking!) She is itching her hind legs alot and were she was fixed. We named her Pooky because she always has her tounge sticking out. Pooky is eating ALOT now. I think she will be fully adjusted soon. She follows us around like crazy. I will upload some pics this weekend. Thank you everyone for your support.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast