Yelping for no reason. Need Help!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yelping for no reason. Need Help!

gallegosdavidm is offline New to the Village

Default Yelping for no reason. Need Help!

My pug as of late has been yelping for no reason, this happens more often when myself or my girlfriend are stepping backwards toward him. He yelps as if his foot has been stepped on but trust me we are not stepping on our pug. He has also reacted this way when giving him treats and showing him a new toy. This happened last night again and when i picked him up he was shaking and reacting as if he were scared, every time we reached for his foot he would yelp again. We finally got him calmed down laying on his back and i did a thorough examination of his feet and legs. I could find nothing externally wrong and he didn't seem to react when i flexed each of his joints. Any ideas and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Name: Clover
    Sex: Male
    Fawn

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

I would take him to a competent vet, and ask for a spinal exam looking for disc injuries from jumping up or down from furniture. Eye check too. In the meantime, I might crate him to limit movement, if something is inflamed or sprained, he doesn't need to move around and make it worse. Let us know what the vet thinks, please.

jstpugginalong is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by tall grass pugs View Post
    I would take him to a competent vet, and ask for a spinal exam looking for disc injuries from jumping up or down from furniture. Eye check too. In the meantime, I might crate him to limit movement, if something is inflamed or sprained, he doesn't need to move around and make it worse. Let us know what the vet thinks, please.
    I agree with Ellen 101%! The yelping and shaking are sure signs of pain so please take him to your vet and keep us posted on his condition!
    Prayers and Pug Hugs for you all!
    Teri
    Mom To
    RosieBearTrooperSadieHoss
    Fabulous Felines Quinn & Mia
    &
    My Beautiful Quarter Horses & Paints

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

gallegosdavidm is offline New to the Village

Thank you both. My girlfriend just reminded me that this started happening right after we got him back from the groomer. Is it possible his nails were trimmed too short? Is there any way to check for this? Is there anything else that you can think of that could have happened at the groomers?
    Name: Clover
    Sex: Male
    Fawn

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

His nails could be cut or more possibly a nail fractured so when he puts weight on it it hurt, like tearing up your own nail bed on the job. He also could have been smacked or if bathed, dried with a kennel dryer instead of toweled which can bother his eyes. He also could have been dropped on the floor.

shaynapug is online now True Village Royalty

I would take him to the vet for sure!!! Could have pulled something......Pinched something.....fractured something.

Please keep us posted!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

Poor little fellow. I would take him to the vet. How well do you know your groomer and has he been there before? Do you have a good relationship with this groomer so you could ask if maybe something happened and they would tell you?
    Pug Mom to Roxie
    Zoey (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015) and Eddie (October 2, 2010 - September 10, 2019) have moved on to the bridge

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

Sending good thoughts for Glover.

Is he limping at all? Definately sounds like he is in pain.
    Susan, mom to Bo, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

+ Reply to Thread