Harlow doesn't like anything but plastic bowls...
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harlow doesn't like anything but plastic bowls...

Harlow's Dad is offline Village Puppy

Question Harlow doesn't like anything but plastic bowls...

Ever since we brought Harlow home she has been extremely averse to using the stainless bowls we got her for food. She will use them for water, but not food. I think she doesn't like the sound of her collar/rabies tag dangling against them. I never even worried about it, but she's had a few instances where she has gotten a pimple or two on her little snout. Now that I'm looking it up, it looks like part of the problem could be from her plastic bowls right? Is it just the type of plastic? I was considering getting her some of These but now I'm not sure. Since I think it's the sound perhaps I can find a metal bowl wrapped in silicone or something.

Any suggestions? I hate to think she's getting pimples from something we can avoid. Should I just put food in the stainless bowls and figure that eventually she'll get hungry enough to overcome it?

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

Have you thought about getting the little plastic covers that go over her tags so they don't jingle.
    We feed our dogs out of ceramic dishes and always take the collars off because of the jingling against the dish, not that the jingling stops Zoey and Eddie from eating, lol.
    Pug Mom to Chester
    Zoey, Eddie and Roxie have moved on to the bridge

SallyAndTilly is offline Village Model's Mom & Photo Nut

How about glass bowls? Sometimes puppies don't like the reflections in the stainless bowls.
    Last edited by SallyAndTilly; 01-02-2011 at 06:43 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

we've tried both glass and ceramic bowls... it's the noise that gets on her nerves. I hadn't even thought about the plastic causing pimples... but now it's a big concern for me. I'm starting to consider taking the rabies tag and her id tag off the collar and moving it to the ring on the back of her harness. That may solve the problem, but as you can see, the id tag is pretty fetching and something worth showing off :)

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

We don't have a collar on our pug so her tags are on her harness. I use one of my dishes from my dishware that's desinated "hers" for food and a ceramic one for water.We had a plastic one for travel but it caused the breakouts you are describing.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Our guys don't like stainless or plastic, so we use ceramic. We always take their collars and tags off in the house for fear they would get caught on something. They are microchipped, so we have that security should they ever get out without their collar.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

good point about the microchip. I guess we could let her go without the collar in the house. Particularly since it's some stupid expensive swarovski crystal one my sister in law got her for xmas (that I'm paranoid she'll mess up somehow). The problem is that I'm not even sure if it's the sound now. I took the tags off last night but she still just sat there and barked at the food in the stainless bowl for a really long time. We eventually got her to eat it all after my wife sat on the floor with her and coaxed her to eat each mouthful. I just don't plan on that happening continuously. I'll give it another go this morning and see if there is any progress. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

crazypugmom is offline Village Admiral

One of my pugs was very neurotic and would not eat out of stainless or ceramic. I used plastic bowls for 11 yrs and would wash them after each meal. I never had a problem with pimples. He would not drink water out of stainless or ceramic either.
    Leslye, Chyna, Tinker, Ruffy and husband Tim &
    our angels Pugsly and Taz waiting for us in heaven

Northern Illinois Pug Rescue & Adoption

www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

http://www.dogster.com/family/766626

good news! She's eating out of the raised stainless bowl pretty well now. she still stops somewhere through and barks at it... but she's eating all her food and seems to be getting used to the idea. I hope she doesn't get any more pimples now!

+ Reply to Thread