HelP !! hElP!!HelP !! hElP!!HelP !! hElP!!HelP !! hElP!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HelP !! hElP!!HelP !! hElP!!HelP !! hElP!!HelP !! hElP!!

Gizurbad is offline New to the Village

Question HelP !! hElP!!HelP !! hElP!!HelP !! hElP!!HelP !! hElP!!

SO I HAVE A REAL PROB, MY PUG IS ONLY 3 YRS OLD & LATELY HE'S BEEN GOING INTO THESE BREATHING FITS, SOUNDS LIKE HE'S TRYING TO GET UP MUCUS. (IF I WAS COMPARING IT TO WHAT A HUMAN SOUNDS LIKE)
    DOES THIS SOUND FAMILAR TO ANY 1 ? I HAVE 2 ADMIT IT SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME. I HAVE A VET APPT SET UP, BUT I'D LIKE 2 KNOW WHAT 2 PREPARE MYSELF FOR &/OR IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN B4 I GET HIM 2 THE VET I HAVE SOME IDEA OF WHAT 2 DO, OR WHAT IT IS FOR THAT MATTER. ANY SIMILAR INFO RIGHT NOW WOULD HELP. FOR THE RECORD I'VE TRIED 2 FIRMLY PAT ON HIS CHEST ( ITS SUPOSE 2 BREAKUP MUCUS & HELPS HIM COUGH IT UP..IT DOES WORK, BUT OBVIOUSLY NOT FOR THE PROB I LISTED ABOVE
    Yours truly Rachel & Giz

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

It is good that the vet is checking him out but it could just be something as simple as a reverse sneeze. If you Google or check out You Tube for reverse sneeze there are some videos out there that may put your mind at rest. There could be soft palate or tracheal issues there though; I would have thought if it was reverse sneezing he would have done it before reaching the age of 3. It is not clear to me whether he is actually coughing up mucus or whether it just sounds like he is trying to.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Arrow thx

TY 4 UR REPLY, JUST SO ITS CLEAR IT SOUNDS LIKE HES TRYING 2 GET UP MUCUS, IF HE COULD. IF IT WAS REVERSE SNEEZING, I DONT THINK IT WOULD KEEP REPEATING, OVER & OVER & OVER. THESE EPISODES IM TRYING 2 EXPLAIN GO ON 4 ABOUT...3-5 MINS OR SO. A SNEEZE IS QUICK EVEN IF U SNEEZE 4-5X IN A ROW. THAT IS WHAT SCARES ME . HE LOOKS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE WHEN THIS HAPPENS LIKE HES SCARED TOO .
    Yours truly Rachel & Giz

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Ur pics really make me miss my giz as a puppy, he looked just like ur pug, a twin lol
    Quote Originally Posted by gizurbad View Post
    so i have a real prob, my pug is only 3 yrs old & lately he's been going into these breathing fits, sounds like he's trying to get up mucus. (if i was comparing it to what a human sounds like)
    does this sound familar to any 1 ? I have 2 admit it scares the crap out of me. I have a vet appt set up, but i'd like 2 know what 2 prepare myself for &/or if it happens again b4 i get him 2 the vet i have some idea of what 2 do, or what it is for that matter. Any similar info right now would help. For the record i've tried 2 firmly pat on his chest ( its supose 2 breakup mucus & helps him cough it up..it does work, but obviously not for the prob i listed above
    Yours truly Rachel & Giz

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

YouTube - Reverse Sneeze in a dog

Have a look at this - is it anything like what your pug is doing?

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Harlow's Dad is offline Village Puppy

I could be way wrong here, but when Harlow starts this I liken it to a combination of sneezing and hiccuping. To stop it I put my thumb over her nose, which forces her to breathe through her mouth. It usually stops immediately. Then I hold her to calm her down. Give it a try - it's worth a shot!

ashbee03 is offline Village Governor

sounds like a reverse sneeze like everyone else said. youtube it. when my pug first did it, it scared the crap outta me too because it's not what it seemed like. but after the video i saw ... it doesn't nearly scare me as mucch when it happens. and there was no need for a vet.
    mommy to my first furchild ; shylah !

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

As Snifter mentioned, what you describe does sound like a reverse sneeze, which is not cause for alarm although it is good you are getting him checked just in case you are dealing with an upper or lower respiratory bug or something else. Pugs commonly have a few issues related to the facial anatomy that predispose them to breathing problems.

Hope it is just a reverse sneeze and nothing serious.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

shaynapug is online now True Village Royalty

Reverse sneezing was my first thought too.....Glad you're getting him checked out tho!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Simbasgamma is offline Village Puppy

WE are currently going thru the thing . BUT .. after Simba eats he chokes and gags and throws up the mucus ! White foamy thick sticky stuff . I agree with the reverse sneeze ♥

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast