Eating TOO Fast
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating TOO Fast

Kellsbells is offline New to the Village

Default Eating TOO Fast

My pug Cabbage tends to gobble her food WAY too fast. Then she'll start to make this wheezing-choking-goose honking noise. I've asked my vet about it and he wrote it off as allergies, but I'm inclined to disagree because it most frequently happens when she eats and drinks. She's eating an organic/holistic food, never has skin rashes and for a pug she doesn't sneeze that much. She also does not have Stenotic Nares so the only thing I can think of is eating too fast. I tried a slow eater bowl but because her face is flat she really can't get to the food. Any suggestions on how to slow down her eating?

diesels.mom is offline Village VP

Sorry I have no suggestions. Diesel does the same thing actually but a lot of the time he'll puke it back up instantly because he's just eating way too fast.

MYPUGGIES is offline Village Mayor

One of my girls eats way too fast too. She doesn't throw it up though... she's just eats it too fast for my comfort. Someone suggested to me a long time ago to put a tennis ball in the food bowl, but Miko just takes it out then finishes at her usual pace. She finishes in half the time that it takes my other two! I don't have any suggestions. I'm looking forward to reading any ideas some will have. Thank you for posting this question ;)

Audra, Myla, Miko and Tank

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

DixiesMom is offline Village Governor

Tried raising her bowl? Our vet suggested it so I put Miss Dixie's up on a short step and she has to semi stand on her hind legs and lean her weight on her front legs to eat ... she has to take a break now and then.

Ooo I will definitely give the raised bowl a try. Thanks for the recommendation!

kellsbells, can I just add that I would DIE to live where you live. it looks so beautiful :)

Actually it's 46 degrees right now, we are all bundled up! But I see you live in Canada so I'll stop whining:)

haha nonetheless it looks beautiful where you live :P

I'm actually in the lucky part of Canada at the moment - lately the coldest it's been is -5 Celsius as compared to the -35 in Ontario!

Mountain Mom is offline Village Governor

You can buy compartmentalized food bowls at most large pet stores, designed precisely to slow eating down. Also, you could put some of her food into a Kong or puzzle toy so she'd have to work for it. I always save a bit of Joy's dinner to give her in a puzzle or Kong while I eat my dinner in peace! LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast