Your household's vaccination regime/stance
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your household's vaccination regime/stance

jules is offline Village Mayor

Default Your household's vaccination regime/stance

Hello fellow pug-lovers,

I know there's been a lot of discussion about vaccinations (and the search function has been really helpful) but I was curious as to your stances on vaccinations: how often, which ones, and what personal history lead you to these decisions.

My history: Sweet Pea

Sweet Pea is actually Maurice's litter mate who we adopted when she was nearly two. She's getting her DHPP and Bordetella shots next week (the rabies isn't due for two more years), and then I'm considering not vaccinating her again, save for the rabies every three years.

Dickens:

Dickens we rescued when he was about nine months old. He is getting the same round of shots as Sweet Pea next week. However I think he just turned two around the start of this year, so I may get him DHPP and Bordetella next year as well, and then proceed to only do the rabies every three years after that.

Maurice:

Maurice is the only dog in our household we got as a puppy. He just turned three late December, and has, up till now, received every vaccination "on schedule" as determined by the vet. I now realize that, particularly as a puppy, these vaccinations should have been given singularly and further apart.

When Maurice had finished his puppy shots, he went back and received the Bordetella and Rabies vacs at the same time, which is when he had his first vaccine reaction (to this day the scariest thing I've ever had in my life). After that, I opted not to do the Bordetella but still got his vaccines on schedule, including the rabies. It nows seems to foolish and irresponsible of me in retrospect, and I can't believe I subjected him to that again, but, of course, he had another reaction. I have a lot of guilt about this but it's conflicting because the threat of disease is so terrifying to me. I live in the Phoenix/Valley area and there is no shortage of disease and unvaccinated animals.

So Maurice is allergic to his rabies vac (which he will NEVER get again--when he's due next Feb I will get a medical waiver) and the antibiotic Simplicef. Relatedly, do I have to get him a medical alert tag through the vet or can I just have one made online?

Maurice is also on the Nzymes program, which is where I first learned about over-vaccination. Aside from the general concerns, over vaccination and over medication is at odds with the Nzymes healing process (which Maurice needs, given his chronic skin problems).

I got a postcard in the mail saying that Maurice is due for his Distemper vac, but I'm torn on actually doing it. Is it more dangerous not to vaccinate him, or to risk the side effects? The literature I've been reading suggests that, since he has been vaccinated as a puppy and at one year, he should be good for the rest of his life.

Instead of the distemper vac, I'm thinking of setting up an appointment to do the titer tests. Am I understanding correctly that this is a blood test to check the antibodies in his blood? Has anyone done this? How long does it take to get the results back?

Sorry for the massively long post, but I encourage you all to, in turn, write massively long posts. I'm curious as to your vaccine regimes and what brought you to them.

I'm trying to be strong and am struggling within my ingrained fears vs Maurice's experience and the new information I'm receiving.

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

I do not give Lepto, since Junior went into anaphlaxis and almost died from it.....actually I think he did die and they revived him. I am ultra paranoid about reactions to shots, so I always have the vet give an injection of benadryl first, then the shot, then we stay at the vets for about 1/2 hr to make sure all is well......we go home, and I don't go out. When Junior almost died, we came home from the vet and i was going to go shopping, but something told me to go get my mail instead.....I got the mail and was reading it and next thing I know Junior was in my face trying to get my attention. I looked at him and his whole face was blown up, he looked like a shar-pei. I immediately knew it was the vaccines and we rushed back to the vet, just in the nick of time. Had I went shopping, I would have came home to a dead dog. I now get the 3 year vaccines, and Louie is overdue for one.....he was due in September 2010. I'm in no rush to get them. The vet's office has mentioned that he's due, a couple times when he goes in for his nails, and I just say ok, or we'll get them soon, not today.....
    I will stall the vaccines as long as I can.....I think he's still protected. They don't lose protection on the one year date, or the 3 year date.....the protection is still there. I don't want to over-vaccinate.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

also on your question about titers.....I asked my vet about them a few years back. She told me, they are not that reliable (I'm not sure I believe her), and they are more expensive than just getting the shot (like that would deter me.....)

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

GotPugs is offline Village Senator

The less the better.

Wonka & Nilla is online now Village Dancing Jitterpug

I agree, Less is Better.
    Obviously they need puppy shots, so don't skip those. But I believe that the idea of annual shots for every possible thing is just a way for most vets to pad their pockets and that it's bad for our dogs to be excessively vaccinated.

We are on a three year schedule for Rabies (required by law). Everything else is kind of dependent on the pug. Nilla gets blood work done every year because she is on medication and she's also older than Wonka. Wonka currently has bloodwork done every other year. Both pugs have heartworm checks and physical every year. Along with the bloodwork panel we do Titers for both pugs. I know some vets say they are not accurate and can't guarantee immunity, but I think that's an old fashioned notion and, besides, vaccines aren't a 100% guarantee against problems either. Wonka and Nilla have both had at least one series of the DHPP as adults, but we tried to spread them out as much as possible. Neither pug has had the lepto shot in a long time (Wonka had it at a previous vet, before I knew better). But I recently heard that there have been confirmed lepto cases right in my area and my vet said there is a new SAFER lepto vaccine that they've had much better results with for small dogs.... plus, the new vaccine covers the serovars prevalent in my area, the old vaccine did not.... so I'm re-considering that and trying to decide if it's worth the risk. My pugs do hike along river trails and are in areas where there is a potential to get lepto so it's a hard decision to make - risky shot or risk disease.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

I will never vaccinate my pets again. Ever! Some of you may remember my story about my sweet Abby. My daughter is the one that posted about it. I have never posted on the boards but read quite a lot. Any way, like we all want to be responsible pet owners, when I got the notice Abby and Gus were due for their rabies shot I made the appointment and my daughter took them in. Gus was the first to have the reaction and he passed out and was unresponsive. My daughter rushed him back to the vet. While she was there Abby was left home and was having a reaction of her own. When we got back from the vet with Gus who came around ok, poor Abby was all swollen and she looked like a sharpi too. I think she had the worst reaction because she went longer without treatment. Gus had scared my daughter so bad she didn't think about Abby having a reaction. Gus and Abby were litter mates. So we got the swelling and the hives and all the allergic reaction settled down and thought all was well. Within 2 weeks, my sweet Abby started to display symptoms of PDE. It was the worst thing I have been through in a long, long time. At first it was just that she wouldn't jump off the bed or my chair that she like to perch in waiting for me to come home from work. Then we noticed she didn't act like she felt well and thought she was in some kind of pain. So once again we took her into the vet and was told she seemed to have hurt her neck. So we were given steriods and told to keep her calm. Yeah right the way Gus and Abby played, there was no calm when they got going. So a few days later she still didn't seem right to us and we were going to take her back to the vet the next day. That evening she had a massive siezure that lasted about 45 minutes. We rushed her to the clinic and met our vet there. It seemed to take forever for the medications to get her siezing under control. We had to leave her at the intensive care vet for 3 days waiting for the medications to clear out of her system. When we brought her home it was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever seen. She had trouble using her back legs, she paced the floor for hours until she dropped exhausted for a brief time and then she was up pacing again, she couldn't control her head on her neck very well and it wobbled like a new born baby, she would cry as if in pain. My family went through agony making the decision that we had to let her go. The vet told us it was most likely PDE and it was 100% fatal. I couldn't stand to watch her suffer so that I would have a little more time with her. So we made the decision to have one of the vets from our clinic come and put her to sleep at home where she would be with her brother, all our cats, and her humans. The vet that came was the worst vet I have ever dealt with. She seemed to be incompetent. Abby never wanted anyone messing with her feet and legs and she cried out when the vet started to insert the needle. My grandson had to hold Abby's head and I held her body so she couldn't jerk free. It was fast I do have to say that, but then the vet wasn't sure she was gone yet and I about freaked out thinking she might be put in their freezer waiting for cremation and might not be totally gone. So I insisted on the vet giving her another shot that would insure she had passed away. So the last few minutes of my baby's life were pain and fear. That was not the way I wanted or anticipated having the vet come to my house was going to turn out. I can tell you that we have changed vets as I never want that vet to touch any of my pets again for any reason. I have been told by 5 different vets that it was not possible that the rabies shot triggered the PDE. I realize PDE is a genetic problem and might have taken her any way, but from the research me and my daughter have done, I don't think it's that big a streach to wonder if the reaction and swelling from the rabies shot didn't trigger the PDE. I will always believe it did. All I know is that in December I had a pair of beautifully healthy little puggies and by January 20th I had one lost little boy puggie and a broken heart. Abby has been gone almost 2 months and there isn't a day that goes by I don't think of her and cry about her and regret that I had them vaccinated for rabies. Never again.

+ Reply to Thread