My pug acts so inappropriate at dog park!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: My pug acts so inappropriate at dog park!

winston2012 is offline New to the Village

Default My pug acts so inappropriate at dog park!

My pug tries to hump everything at the dog park, big dogs, small dogs, male or female it doesn't matter. He also excessively sniffs and licks other dogs genitals and anal areas. He's a year old but not fixed as I am thinking of breeding him possibly in the future. I can pull him off dogs and try to stop him but it only works for a short time as he is so obsessed with trying to get his hump on. This is a video of him trying to chase down and hump a much larger Ridgeback.

YouTube - Horny Pug versus Ridgeback 1

It gets to be embarrassing as often he is the only dog at the park acting so sexually aggressive. I was thinking of getting a shirt for him that says "sexual predator" lol. Any ideas short of having him fixed that could stop that behaviour?

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

Nope. My strong suggestion is, that unless you have a championship winning pug and lots of breeding experience, you get him neutered. Here are some links that may help you with your decision:

Breeding Your Dog
    Should I Breed My Dog?
    So you want to be a breeder?

and especially this one (click on the chart to enlarge):
    "Should I breed my dog?" Flowchart - German Shepherd Dog Forums
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

miss_emily is offline Village Mayor

Don't go to the dog park. Honestly most dog parks do not allow intact dogs. I will be very blunt, and I'm sorry it may push someone's buttons, but unless you are showing the dog or it show potential, it doesn't need to be bred. There are enough irresponsible breeding going on to give every person like 10 dogs in this world if not more. What would happen if he got stuck with another dog? Honestly, it's not even funny watching them try and hump and breeding because people 'like' your dog is extremely irresponsible. You are never guaranteed that specific dog's personality or look or behavior etc.

*off my soap box*
    Fla. Pugs, adenes and diesels.mom like this.
    *Emily*
    Frankie-Pug Mix

Come and visit our blog!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

Breeding your dog for the money or because you want 'widdle puppies' is the wrong reason to ever breed a dog.
    Breeding is time consuming and expensive and a lifelong commitment.

Neuter your boy and enroll in obedience classes to learn to communicate with him for a splendidly behaved companion ... not a 'cash cow'
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Beautifully_Chaotic is offline Village Governor

These posts seem kind of harsh to me, what if she was thinking of studing her dog out to a responsible breeder? Or becoming a well informed breeder herself, and she has a very healthy breeding worthy pug?
    Lena ♥Whiskey's Mom♥

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Beautifully_Chaotic View Post
    These posts seem kind of harsh to me, what if she was thinking of studing her dog out to a responsible breeder? Or becoming a well informed breeder herself, and she has a very healthy breeding worthy pug?
    Reality is harsh.
    A responsible breeder has access to amazing stock ... what has this pug done that would improve the breed if it is not even able to behave in a social setting?
    Having testicles does not make a dog breeding worthy.
    Miss Pugg likes this.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Beautifully_Chaotic is offline Village Governor

Not trying to argue here. Just saying we don't know all the facts. Hes practically still a puppy, ofcourse hes going to hump if he has testicles, until he is trained to do other wise. Thats no reason to say he isnt worthy of being bred. Im not saying that he is, just that we don't know.
    Lena ♥Whiskey's Mom♥

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

I just watched the videos. In the first video, why was the ridgeback being restrained by what looked to be a choke collar while the pug was permitted to run loose and hump it? Get that dog of yours on a leash!!! That ridgeback was being very patient. One day, some big dog won't be and that will be the end of the pug. He will not learn that his behaviour is unacceptable without being taught. Yes, he needs to be castrated (do you think he will hump less if you breed him? Errr. No.). Castrated or not, obedience classes to learn basic manners for him and handling skills for you are clearly indicated.
    Fla. Pugs and adenes like this.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

winston2012 is offline New to the Village

My boyfriend keeps strongly trying to convince me to get him neutered as he says he's probably always going to be inappropriate at the park otherwise and potentially get into trouble with larger dogs that don't like his antics. He made that video without correcting him so he could record how Winston behaves on his own. We've been correcting him everytime he starts getting that crazy look in his eye when he sniffs up another dog but he's just so obsessed it seems impossible to keep that off his mind. I am a little worried to neuter him as I've heard pugs are more likely to die under the effects of the anaesthesia. I've also heard that male pugs can get fat and lazy after getting neuter so wonder how his personality would change. My BF says it would be all for the better but I'm not so sure...

shaynapug is online now True Village Royalty

There is no reason for your boy to remain in tact! It's healthier to have him neutered......

I breed...and when my guys get older, I do neuter them.....I don't sell a pet without a spay/neuter contract.....His activity level will depend on you! He'll be less frustrated also!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast