Questions about false pregnancy
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions about false pregnancy

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Default Questions about false pregnancy

First off I would like to know if anyone has any experience with it? Now I'll explain. Sophie is wrapping up her heat now, she's just spotting, her swelling is almost gone and she's getting back to normal as far as behavior. But over the last few days her breasts have been swelling. She's had larger nipples throughout the heat but now everything is growing. Is this normal for the end of a heat or could she be experiencing a false pregnancy?

I did some reading online about it and can't seem to find anything about this happening during or at the end of heat. From what I read you can't spay during a false pregnancy, so I want to make sure. She still has yet to be able to get her shots or blood work for heartworm preventative because of the heat. That needs to get done first before we can schedule her spay. We have been waiting for her to finish up, she's on day 26 now. This could definitely set us back, if it is what's going on.

For those who don't know we just adopted Sophie a little over a month ago. We had her about a week and she started a surprise heat. Having boys I am definitely a novice! Thanks for the help.
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy 11-22-03 - 4-17-14 RIP My Buddy, Oscar 1-18-09, & Sophie 4-08-10 - 10-08-15 RIP Sweet Sophie, Elmer Chihuahua 10-6-12, & Otto Chihuahua 11-28-14, 2 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan!

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

She may or may not go into a false pregnancy....She could have had blood work while in heat...I think.....shots too if you're not breeding!

I would ask your vet. There is no hurry now as you should have 5-6 months before her next season.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

My vet, along with a few other people have said a big no on shots while she's in heat. So we are waiting on that. Does a false pregnancy last as long as a regular one, 63 days? My goodness! We would be getting close to the next heat if it did. I really hope that's not what this is. I don't want to repeat this. I really don't know how people do it. Guess I'm just not cut out for it. I can't wait until she's spayed.
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy 11-22-03 - 4-17-14 RIP My Buddy, Oscar 1-18-09, & Sophie 4-08-10 - 10-08-15 RIP Sweet Sophie, Elmer Chihuahua 10-6-12, & Otto Chihuahua 11-28-14, 2 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan!

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Mom to Lucy is offline Village Admiral

They usually go about 6 months or so between heats, so you should have plenty of time... the vet can do some bloodwork now, though.
    Christine Honorary Pug Parent. Wrangler of Bunny the crazy EP and Maverick the soon to be huge black Labrador. Mom to one human child, wife to a wonderful hubby, and entertained by a couple of fishies.
    Forever missing our Bugsy Francis - 04/13/05 - 05/24/17 and Lucy Loo - 10/13/2005 - 12/27/2020.

+ Reply to Thread