Obsessive licking is causing infection in nose fold
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obsessive licking is causing infection in nose fold

Kookie is offline New to the Village

Default Obsessive licking is causing infection in nose fold

Hi there,

We are having a lot of problems with 8yo pug Matilda and I am hopeful that you may be able to give me some advice. Matilda is very obsessive and has lots of annoying behaviours as pugs do. One of them being her obsessive licking which whilst annoying is ok except now her skin in her nose fold is getting very red again and looks like it will probably get infected again. Despite a couple of vet visits and medication, antibiotics etc, we still can't fix the problem as she keeps licking the cream off. She has licked so much that there is no longer any fur in the affected area in her nose fold.

My husband is very good and cleans her nose every day with medicated shampoo and then puts her ointment on but Matilda licks it straight off.

We realise we need to go back to the vet yet again but I am wondering if there are any other things we can do and if any other pug owner has experienced a similiar problem? Has anyone tried putting something on the nose that may not taste good, that won't hurt her?

This has been going on for about 3 months and we are open to any suggestions?

Thanks for reading

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

to the village!!I don't have any advice but I'm sure someone on here has experience with this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Stazz is offline Village Admiral

You're not alone, my Leia has obsessive licking problems too. She has saliva stains on both her front legs, and she also obsessively licks inside her nose fold, she has a raw area ther that we're working on. Just keeping it clean and DRY is the most important thing. I'm not sure there is a way to stop the licking :(
    Stace
    Mom to Yoda & Leia

xxx

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

AbbyGus is offline Village Mayor

I know they can be obsessive with the licking but..

Could it be allergies? Does your current food contain any grain? Gus obsessively licked and chewed his feet but that has stopped since we switched to a raw diet. Grains can also contribute to yeast type rashes/infections. Grains aren't the only culprit either. We had a shitzu who had terrible allergies to chicken. Just a thought..

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

I was going to suggest possible allergies.

If she is licking off the antibiotic cream then see if oral antibiotics might be a better way to go, whilst just keeping the wrinkle clean and dry.

You could dry dabbing bitter apple spray around the outside of the wrinkle. Don't spray the face as it could get in her eyes and nose, but spray on your finger and then dab the liquid somewhere that is not already sore.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Boldie is offline Village Puppy

Grain free food/treats may be a tremendous help.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

I too, would suggest allergy/yeast issues. What foods/treats is she currently getting? Food allergies are the most frequent cause of skin/yeast issues and it will never go away completely until you get that figured out.

Most creams/emollients tend to keep damp areas damp and can impede healing. They also stimulate licking.

The following recipe is wonderful for nose roll and ear cleaning/healing/maintenance. Use it once or twice a day while it is inflamed and red, once under control, you can cut back to what your dog needs to maintain a healthy nose roll, usually once or twice a week.

1/3 c. rubbing alcohol
    1/3 c. white vinegar
    1/3 c. witch hazel
    10 drops (give or take) tea tree oil

These ingredients are all cheap and readily available at any drug store.

Mix together in a small pull-top squirt bottle (like liquid diswashing detergent comes in) and dribble onto Q-tips or make-up remover pads and swab out the roll until clean.

You can ask you vet for a prescription of Mometamax, which is a thin lotion that combats both yeast and most bacterial infections that grow in the folds. Just dribble a few drops onto a Q-tip and swab into the roll after you clean with the other solution. The irritation should clear up very quickly. The vet may want to sell you something else instead, like Vet-A-log, Polysporin or whatever, but ask them to order Mometamax specifically. I have not found an acceptable substitute.

It is highly doubtful her licking is really significantly contributing to the current problem, and at her age, she is not likely to stop as it has become a deeply ingrained habit that soothes her....think of it like thumbsucking. In young dogs, changes in diet, exercise and routine can sometimes nip these habits in the bud, but trying to stop licking now is likely to only stress her and you out more....making the problem worse. You might try offering her alternatives to keeping her mouth busy, like raw bones, Kongs stuffed with raw ground meat, or organic unsalted peanut butter or frozen, natural plain yogurt (if your dog tolerates these), deer antlers work well for some dogs too.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Molly N Odies Dad is offline New to the Village

Hi Folks,
    My Molly also has an obsession with constantly licking the tops of her front paws. She will also go into her ( I call it Butt Dance ) and at times it bothers her so much she cries out in discomfort. And no, it's not Impacted Glands as she had those removed years ago. Scratching her ears is another thing she does constantly. We have tried changing diets, used countless RX and OTC creams and powders. Our Vet told us, unless Molly goes through a battery of Allergy tests its hard to pin it down as to what is discomfort.

Any suggestions?
    Lou

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Have you tried switching her to a raw diet? Especially one with a novel protein such as rabbit, venison, bison, turkey, duck....something she has not been fed previously?

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Kookie is offline New to the Village

Thanks so much for all the wonderful tips. Tomorrow I am going to the shops to make the recipe suggested by Lisa.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast