Cleaning the face folds of a pug - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cleaning the face folds of a pug

pug love is offline Village Mayor

Yesterday at the vet I talked to my vet about cleaning the wrinkle and he gave me some pads that look like the astrigent pads we would use to wipe our faces. They were like 14.00 for 50 of them but I have been cutting them in half so they last longer. usually I use sterile water but he has a yeast infection this time so i went with the wipes he is on medication also for it.

barbs pug is offline Village Governor

Could we also use saline? I bought some, there are the size of a alchol wipe.

pug love is offline Village Mayor

Barb what I meant to say is that I have been using saline water lol. I think it works my other vet( I have like 3 for one dog lol) she told me to use that. Im just giving the wipes a try for now since his face is infected. He also only has a infection because he has been on lots of meds from his surgery.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

barbs pug is offline Village Governor

Gotcha!

danger is offline Village Puppy

I've heard a lot about stidex for sensative skin....I'm going to try it! :)

Funaek is offline Village Governor

Oh those wrinkles. Both adorable and frustrating at the same time. Sunny has a super deep wrinkle with double folds within which both like to catch tons of gross stuff. She also hates having her face attended to and especially hates wrinkle cleaning. I usually use a non-scented baby wipe to clean her face and chin every few days and then will use my finger with the wipe wrapped around it to swipe through the wrinkle. I'll then use several dry q-tips to wipe away any gunk (ew) and dry the skin there. If your pug's wrinkle is deep it helps to use your other hand to gently lift up the wrinkle from the forehead area. You can get in there and see better. That's how I discovered the secret second fold in Sunny's wrinkle.

Every now and then I'll use the wipes the vet gave me or the Malaket ones. But those are so horrible smelling that Sunny especially hates those so what I do is I wrap them around a q-tip to soak it in. I then use the soaked q-tip to clean through her wrinkles (she handles that much better and the smell is lessened). Then follow with wipe and q-tips as usual.

With my first pug I only cleaned out her wrinkle every now and then with q-tips or washcloth. Her wrinkle wasn't as deep though so she never really had issues with it. It depends on the pug.

Oh and I agree, treat immediately after is totally necessary.

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Royalty

Tuck has really deep folds and his have been a constant struggle for me. We tried everything and were consistent, they would work for awhile then he seemed to build up a resilience to them and would get infected again. But knock on wood we have gone almost a year without an infection! What seems to have finally worked is the F3/w wipes by Glen Haven from the vet, we cut them in half so they last longer as it's about $16 for 50 but we clean once every day and it seems to have worked.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

Harvey Krishna is offline New to the Village

I can absolutely guarantee you that your pugs need their faces cleaning. Of course they do, (it’s a ‘design flaw) because by design those nooks and crannies, wrinkles and face/nose folds, can and will trap all sorts of debris (it’s a ‘design flaw’) from food to dirt and everything in between. If you don’t clean them, they will be susceptible to chronic (smelly) yeast infections which is bad elnough for us humans but can you imagine how awful it’d be for the unfortunate pug whose face hasn’t been cleaned, simply because his/her owner didn’t think they needed it? All pugs need their faces cleaned. Always.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12