Adventures in Anal Sacculectomy
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in Anal Sacculectomy

sidnzoeysmom is offline New to the Village

Lightbulb Adventures in Anal Sacculectomy

Hey everyone.

My pug, Sid, is getting his anal sacs removed tomorrow. I have searched the internet for first hand information regarding this procedure, and was unable to find exactly what I wanted, so I decided to throw my two cents in on what we're going through in case some other pug parent is having similar problems.

Sid was born on Dec. 10, 2008. We had pick of the litter, and after a lot of debate, we decided on the chunkiest, er... fluffiest pug there was. He has been a pleasure to own. He has been my companion through several of my husband's deployments and has wiped my tears during some of the toughest times of my life. We brought him home in February 2009. I would find little weird spots on our beige couch that smelled like rotten meat. (Sorry for that ) I referred to my pug library (as my husband refers to our book collection) and noted the issues that pugs have with expressing their anal sacs. I would just clean the spots and take him to the groomer monthly. It continued to get worse and worse over the following months. Then one day, Sid hid under my bed, wouldn't eat or drink. I rushed him to the vet where he was diagnosed with his first anal gland infection. He was treated and healed up wonderfully. The issue seemed to go away for awhile... other than the fish spots we would find on the couch... I added fiber to his diet and changed his food. Then came March of this year. Sid got violently sick. I was walking him and he was having a heck of a time pooping. He was pacing and pacing. It was pathetic. Finally, he passed the stool and looked absolutely miserable. I took him in the house and he started vomiting. He vomited about 7 times. I rushed him to the vet where he was diagnosed with yet another anal gland infection. They were super full. I felt like such a bad mom, but I had been having them expressed regularly. I was doing all I could. When I asked about having the anal sac removal performed there, I was shut down... They didn't want to do it because it <b>would</b> "cause incontinence." Hearing that made me extremely weary, so I just continued doing what I had been doing. In May of this year, we received military orders to Pensacola, FL and moved here June 1st. Sid's butt had been leaking daily. I took him to our vet on base who, while expressing the glands, found a "mass" on the left side of his rectum, and he referred us to a civilian vet. I took him to a WONDERFUL office here with the nicest staff. The vet came in and palpated, expressed MORE out of him, and told me that the mass is most likely scar tissue. Sid's fluid was full of blood, so she treated him with Clavamox for 2 weeks. She recommended the surgery. I asked her a LOT of questions and she patiently answered all of them. She also told me that she was not comfortable doing the surgery and she recommended a few surgeons in town, and pointed one out in particular that she thought I should check out. I scheduled a consult with this vet where I got my second opinion. I spoke with the vet tech who detailed the ENTIRE surgery and answered more of my questions. They perform this surgery about once a month, so that made me feel good about it. One of the surgeon's colleagues came in and performed a general exam and palpated and expressed the glands (again.) They were terribly full again. She told me that the glands are thickened and that is what was felt. She agreed that the surgery should be performed. We went over possible side effects, but made a joint decision in going through with it. I don't want my boy uncomfortable and sick. He chases his bum constantly from the irritation. It is heartbreaking.
    So, tomorrow is the surgery. I'm nervous... I can't help it. But I wanted to put our story out there... Real information from someone going through it. Please keep Mr. Sid in your thoughts and prayers. I am going to document every couple of days how the surgery went and what we are all going through.

Thanks for reading my novel! Take care and give your babies a hug for me. <3

Lots of love,

Casey

Estrella_Luna is offline Village Admiral

Oh wow. I have never heard of this but am so glad that you have shared this information. I will be thinking of you and Sid and wishing you the best. Welcome to the village and please keep us posted.

Star ~ Mom to Phoebe the Pug and the feisty felines, Garbo & Jubei
    "Owning a dog is slightly less expensive than being addicted to crack.”
    ― Jen Lancaster

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

My sister had two of her dogs done. The one went beautifully.....the other pooped a bit when excited...but in the long scheme of things...that's nothing!!

Seeing the surgery going very well and a good healing!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

MrsGreene is offline Village Senator

I will think very good thoughts for Sid, and for you. Poor little monkey, I hope he feels much better soon!

arthursmom is offline Village Senator

I am going through the same thing with my 9yr old female. She has had numerous infections in one of her glands and actually had a rupture in that gland that has made it almost impossible to express it. I also had changed her diet and added psyllium to give her extra fiber. Last week her vet tried doing an anal infusion under sedation to see if that would work but to no avail, so now we are looking at removal of the gland. You and Sid will be in my thoughts. I will be anxious to see how it goes for him.
    Carol
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Mom to pugs Romano and Momma Mia, and waiting at the Bridge my beautiful Golden, Meg, my heart pug Arthur (Bubbie), Miranda ,Winston,Frank and forever fosters Groucho, Cornelius and Gramps.
    [

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Hi & Ah, those durned anal sacs! The scourge of Pugdom....Rugby certainly has her "issues" with those things, as do many (probably most) of the Pugs on here. A few years ago, Rugby had one on one side rupture, then a month later, the one on the other side ruptured as well. I felt so bad for her--I know it really hurt her. We visit the vet regularly to have them expressed....

I will certainly keep your Sid in my thoughts & prayers tomorrow! I hope his surgery goes well, and that his recovery will be quick and uneventful. Please let us know how he does! Hugs to both him & you!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Welcome, and thank you for sharing your experiences with this. I fear we may go down this road with Leto one day. My thoughts will be with Sid and his medical team tomorrow, and of course with you too!
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Welcome to the village. Prayers for you and Sid that the surgery goes well and he has a speedy recovery.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

Wow, thank you for sharing yours and Sids story. I will be thinking of you both tomorrow. Best wishes on his surgery and a quick healing. I will be watching for updates.
    Pug Mom to Chester
    Zoey, Eddie and Roxie have moved on to the bridge

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

As you already know, it's a tricky surgery and I'm glad to hear you have done your home work, asking lots of questions and using a vet that's experienced with this. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers....keep us posted on how he does.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast