+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Snifter
  • 1 Post By Mountain Mom
  • 1 Post By ragamuffin68

Thread: Peeing in the crate

ragamuffin68 is offline Village Mayor

Default Peeing in the crate

For the last few days, Bunk has been peeing in the crate at night and while we are at work during the day. I began working full time last Thursday, however, the accidents have only occurred within the past three days.

Here what I think might be going on:
    1) Our dog walker might be giving him too much water before she leaves.
    I do not believe this is the case since he has been peeing at night as well (we take away his water bowl at 8:00 pm, take him out one last time at 9:30 pm, and take him out in the morning at 5:30 am).

2) He is anxious:
    This is a strong possibility since I spent so much time with him before I began working full time. However, he loves the dog walker that comes in during the day and since this has only been occurring over the last three days (I've been working almost two weeks) I am skeptical that this is the cause.

3) We gave him more room in his crate:
    I think this might be it. We changed the size of the crate (about two inches in width) at around the same time he began the accidents. It's really tough because he is getting bigger and we wanted to give him more room, but I guess this might be evidence that he is still not ready for more space.

4) I also think the peeing might be due to him have a few random accidents where we simply didn't get to him in time, and he just decided that the crate is an appropriate place to pee.
    This is a possibility, but only because of number 3. I don't think he would have done this had we not given him more space.

5) Health:
    He might have some health issue we don't know about.
    Don't have any insight on this one because I don't really know that much about dog health. A trip to the vet might suffice?

Suggestions and any other information is greatly appreciated :)

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Bunk is a young pup, right?

1) I don't believe in restricting water and mine have it freely available 24/7. Mine couldn't reliably make it through 8 hours at night until about 4 months old
    2) I agree with you it is probably not the cause
    3) This is highly likely to be a contributory factor, if he is able to soil an area of crate and not have to lie in it. You need to remember, though, that pups can't hold as long as an adult dog. If he is spending more than 4 hours max in his crate during the day and he is younger than 4 months then you may be asking too much of him. You also want to be sure that the dog walker is making sure he is peeing enough and not just playing when she walks him. You may find it easier to shut him in a pug proof room with an easy clean floor and leave the crate door open.
    4) Yes this is possible. Also, both of mine went through a dirty phase where they decided the crate was the BEST place to potty.
    5) Sudden inappropriate peeing in a previously house trained dog can be a sign of a UTI and a trip to the vet is in order to rule this out. I doubt this is the case here but I would never discourage a vet visit if you are anxious
    pugspicious likes this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Mountain Mom is offline Village Governor

Once you rule out any health issues you might try feeding him a few of his meals in the crate (with the door open). Dogs are also very reluctant to 'go' where they eat so this might help offset the effects of the larger crate area. When Joy was younger, I had to do this whenever I got her a new bed; otherwise she saw it as a new potty pad.
    pugspicious likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

ragamuffin68 is offline Village Mayor

Thank you very much for the advice. He has a really good dog walker and she text-messages me everything he does during the walk (he usually pees twice).
    pugspicious likes this.

pugspicious is offline Village Puppy

ok...I'd be anxious too, it's okay to feel that way!
    Can you collect a urine sample and simply bring that to the vet just to be tested and make sure it's not an infection? (Since your guy is peeing twice while you're gone, I don't think it is, but I'm not a professional and you might as well get it tested)
    My boy seems to poop (mostly) and sometimes pee when I'm not home:( He's a puppy mill rescue and we're very close...I'm a teacher, so when I'm off for several weeks at a time and then go back to work, he gets anxious (I think, because in our morning walk, I'd swear there's nothing left to poop...but I come home to it all smeared about. He gets super upset and on high alert when left in the crate...so I can't do that to him).
    What would happen if you put him in a crate that he couldn't soil in without having to be in his soil?
    All the best,
    Jen
    Proud mommy of Quinton Barkley

+ Reply to Thread