Puppy swallowed rawhide!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Puppy swallowed rawhide!

ragamuffin68 is offline Village Mayor

Default Puppy swallowed rawhide!

My puppy Bunk swallowed a piece of rawhide. When it happened he let out the most horrible noise I have ever heard him make. We called the vet and she told us to monitor him the rest of the night. He ate dinner and has been active for the past few hours but I never thought these things could do such damage.
    I can't imagine ever giving him any rawhide every again (the piece he swallowed was for small dogs).

Any thought?
    Do people generally give their dogs rawhide?
    pugspicious likes this.

bnwebm is offline Village VP

Not pugs. Pugs have a particular problem digesting rawhide, and it can become impacted in the digestive tract causing an obstruction. You're better off with meaty bones or antlers, which don't cause such problems.

pugspicious is offline Village Puppy

My pug love, unfortunately, prefers rawhide...he's been without for nearly a month. I've been taking him to Petco to "socialize" a bit; although, I was unbelievably proud of him the other day when he pulled a rawhide out of the bin and looked at me as if it were perfectly acceptable and he deserved it:) I didn't let him get the rawhide, because it was made from chicken and/or beef which he seems to be highly allergic to. Usually he just stands behind me and does nervous circles...that's why I was so happy he took an interest in himself. Anyway...from what I know...the pigs ears and raw hide situation is not good. I did buy some rawhide chicken braided bones for Quinton when I first got him on July 17th, but I kept noticing his choking on them once they got soft from his saliva:( We're working on a substitute. I've given him the all natural peanut butter packed "occupied" toy, a packed gong toy, bison marrow bones, and deer antlers...but nothing seems to occupy him the way rawhide did....I kind-of feel bad. Please tell me if you find a good alternative.
    Proud mommy of Quinton Barkley

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

lihuesue is offline Village Senator

No to rawhides! I've been trying to find an article in reference to rawhides.... they are the worst! The rawhides will not digest and can cause blockages, resulting in expensive surgery or even worse. The rawhides are made with lots of chemicals too (during the tanning process). Best to stay clear of any type of rawhides.

Personally, mine like beef tracheas, but they are spoiled... most doggies love bully sticks. I would love to be able to give mine raw beef bones, when I have, it always resulted in a fight. I also read any treat package very carefully... companies are getting sneakier and sneakier... I will not give my doggies anything made in China (not since the bad dog food)... I see packages of chicken jerky strips... marked all over "distributed by so and so, USA" and in real small print in the crease of the bottom of the bag it will say "Made in China" or "Material Sourced from China". I get most of my doggie's treats from Best Bully Sticks. I buy in bulk and it's a lot less expensive, sometimes I split an order with others. They usually run a 7% sale every month and most times I'll post the sale code when I get their email.
    bnwebm and ragamuffin68 like this.

lihuesue is offline Village Senator

Quote Originally Posted by pugspicious View Post
    My pug love, unfortunately, prefers rawhide...he's been without for nearly a month. I've been taking him to Petco to "socialize" a bit; although, I was unbelievably proud of him the other day when he pulled a rawhide out of the bin and looked at me as if it were perfectly acceptable and he deserved it:) I didn't let him get the rawhide, because it was made from chicken and/or beef which he seems to be highly allergic to. Usually he just stands behind me and does nervous circles...that's why I was so happy he took an interest in himself. Anyway...from what I know...the pigs ears and raw hide situation is not good. I did buy some rawhide chicken braided bones for Quinton when I first got him on July 17th, but I kept noticing his choking on them once they got soft from his saliva:( We're working on a substitute. I've given him the all natural peanut butter packed "occupied" toy, a packed gong toy, bison marrow bones, and deer antlers...but nothing seems to occupy him the way rawhide did....I kind-of feel bad. Please tell me if you find a good alternative.
    I'm not trying to push Best Bully Sticks, just trying to help out. They have a section for Hypoallergenic Dog Treats and Chews and another for Vegetarian Dog Treats and Chews. I've been buying from them for years and have always been satisfied and I know my doggies are getting good treats!

Maybe a Lamb Ear would be ok for your puggie....

As with any type of treat, please, please always monitor your doggie while chewing!

Smart Pugs is offline Village Senator

We don't give any of our dogs rawhide, just Bully Sticks, Antlers & pigs ears
    Pugpillow and bnwebm like this.

Smartie, Audrey, Noah
    and Chihuahua siblings: Kirby, Shadow, Zeta and Fizzy Dave

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I don't do rawhides either.

I give bully sticks (I chewed part when it gets too long as it's soft....and I toss it when it's about 3" long), sows ears, and they still like the stuffed cow hooves sometimes!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

ragamuffin68 is offline Village Mayor

Wow, thanks for all of the replies everybody. I will definitely stay away from the rawhides in the future!

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by lihuesue View Post
    No to rawhides! I've been trying to find an article in reference to rawhides.... they are the worst! The rawhides will not digest and can cause blockages, resulting in expensive surgery or even worse. The rawhides are made with lots of chemicals too (during the tanning process). Best to stay clear of any type of rawhides.

Personally, mine like beef tracheas, but they are spoiled... most doggies love bully sticks. I would love to be able to give mine raw beef bones, when I have, it always resulted in a fight. I also read any treat package very carefully... companies are getting sneakier and sneakier... I will not give my doggies anything made in China (not since the bad dog food)... I see packages of chicken jerky strips... marked all over "distributed by so and so, USA" and in real small print in the crease of the bottom of the bag it will say "Made in China" or "Material Sourced from China". I get most of my doggie's treats from Best Bully Sticks. I buy in bulk and it's a lot less expensive, sometimes I split an order with others. They usually run a 7% sale every month and most times I'll post the sale code when I get their email.
    Love a Sale!! Bulk might work for me with 4 pugs + fosters.

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

No rawhides here either. I can't even use bully sticks. Zoey really likes bully sticks and will chew them quite quickly and try to swallow quite large pieces. Marrow bones only for us.
    bnwebm likes this.
    Pug Mom to Chester
    Zoey, Eddie and Roxie have moved on to the bridge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast