Anal Glands
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anal Glands

katzintheclouds is offline Village Puppy

Default Anal Glands

Hey everyone,
    I have noticed that my pug has a serious problem with his anal glands. I used to work at an animal hospital so I'm familiar with thesmell & what it means. I know that even though dogs are supposed to empty them on their own when they have a bowel movement but from my experiences at the hospital, I know some have trouble doing that and need them expressed. I noticed after a few weeks of having him, that he had an odor that smelled like full glands. As we all know, their cute little tails don't cover them & I found out the hard way that this combination is not the best when they sit on your lap or on furniture, etc. I've already had two incidences specifically where I've had to clean spots both on my couch & a blanket because I could smell it on there. When I got my pug, my aunt had mentioned that she heard they had a problem with some gland, and I never stopped to think it could be that. I thought she was talking about the smell that can sometimes come from their little wrinkled face since I know it requires cleaning every so often.

Does anyone else find this in their pug? I don't know if it's common in them or just harder to deal with because their tails curl up. I had to have them expressed by a vet about two weeks ago & I already smell it again. I am familiar with how to do it myself since I was previously a tech their, but I really don't like doing that to him especially in the house because it's an awful smell!!

Anyone relate? I'm sorry this is so gross but this is a place we can talk about this stuff right!

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

So now you know what it means to be "juiced" by a pug Some of us give a spoonful of plain canned pumpkin with their food or baby carrots or 1/4 teaspoon of pysllium husk. I've tried all of the above and still have to take her in every couple months, to have her anal glands done.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

A lot of Pugs have this issue, not ours luckily. There are threads on here on expressing their anal glands if the food supplements won't help. That's of course if you have the stomach for it. LOL!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Well I used to do that all the time at my old job with other dogs. It's not fun! But I am familiar with it, and wouldn't mind doing it at home except that my house will stink to high heaven afterwards. I've taken him to the vet that I used to work for so he could do it, but it seems like they got bad again after just a few weeks. It's just gross when they don't have a tail covering it. He's good for me so far though with doing it at home, at least enough to get the smell to go away! I can try the pumpkin thing, I know someone mentioned that before but I also know we told people at the vets to do that for constipated dogs.....so does that mean he'll end up pooing all the time, more than now? He's housebroken at this point, which makes me feel special since he's only 4 months old!

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

The pumpkin is supposed to firm up their stools, so the glands empty. I use pumpkin and stillhave to take Tinker in to have them expressed on a regular basis.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

We also use pumpkin. It helps a lot, but both our boys still need to have their glands done. We learned how to do it ourselves to save a little $$.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Join the club Rugby's a regular at the vet for that...I tried to do it myself, but hers are difficult to express (involves a finger, & I'm not goin' there!!!). So, off to the vet we go, once a month or so....She can't have pumpkin or anything else other than her prescription dog food because she gets urinary crystals & had to have surgery to remove a bladder stone. Our previous Pug had the problem, too....
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one. My Aunt said something about it when I got him, but at the time she wasn't sure what it was called, she just said "gland". Even though I worked for a vet, I didn't think she meant their ANAL glands, because that's just gross. But now I recall that one of the breeds to come in a lot to the hospital for techs to express them was owners of pugs...how fun! I'm comfortable doing it, but I'm afraid he'll get used to me doing it and begin to be afraid of me when I pick him up & put him by the tub as that's where I do it (so I can wash him quickly afterward). I know from experience that it's really gross, but I think it'll be the only way to not only save furtniter but also my arm from stinking! That no tail thing to cover their little butts works against them with this...

Thanks for all the help!

*Leenie* is offline Village VP

My Benny also has this problem. He has to go in and have them internally expressed.

Smart Pugs is offline Village Senator

Both our pugs have this problem - we expresses their glands ourselves - sometimes as often as once a week. We can normally pick up the smell before it's too late!

Smartie, Audrey, Noah
    and Chihuahua siblings: Kirby, Shadow, Zeta and Fizzy Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast