Anal Glands Once Again..
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MrsGreene

Thread: Anal Glands Once Again..

katzintheclouds is offline Village Puppy

Lightbulb Anal Glands Once Again..

Hey Guys!

I've read through the past posts about anal sacs but I wanted to introduce my situation & see if I can gather a good plan of action. I've gotten a little bit of an idea on what I can do through the various opinions/posts through the forum. I have a 9mth old pug, he's my first one. My other dog is a lab who never has any AG problems. I did not know know that/if pugs had problems expressing their anal glands when I got him, I just noticed one day, as I was sitting on the couch, that I smelled what I KNEW was anal glands. I used to work at a vets office so I'm very familiar with even the slightest hint of them. As I searched around like a crazy person, sniffing everything, I found the source and that day realized that I would probably have to deal with it. It's when he's relaxed & sleeping, always laying on me it seems. He sleeps in his cage but never expresses them in there, of course. It's irritating because we're always having a great time cuddling & then BAM. It makes me afraid to sit with him like that for long periods of time, which I DONT like. I want to be with him & have him cuddle with me, so I'm hoping I can figure something out.

I know how to express anal glands, I got paid to do it. But I know too that doing it all the time on a regular basis for maintenance is not good for him both physically & mentally. I hate to think that he'll be paranoid every time I touch the box of gloves or the lovely lube in the basket of pet care products that I have. The gland can fill up even faster if you do it too often which just seems pointless. As far as the pumpkin goes, I know that people have mentioned it & it's really a case by case basis. I don't have money to do a crazy, all-natural diet like some of my friends suggest but I can, if I have to, try to seek it a better, higher fiber food. Right now he's on Beneful.

Does anyone know any good, high-fiber foods out there available without prescription that have worked for them? Also, someone in one of these posts mentioned a supplement they added to the food. What was that? I'm hoping I can find something that can help me out because I don't like thinking that not only am I paranoid about cuddling with him & letting him sleep on me, I'm worried someone will come over & lay with him like that & ended up skunked like I was. I know you all understand so THANK YOU AHEAD OF TIME and thanks for once again, responding to an anal gland post!!

MrsGreene is offline Village Senator

Regardless of his anal issues, I would rethink the Beneful. Are you familiar with dog food advisor? They are a very good source of information about dog foods. They really do not like Beneful at all. It only gets one out of five stars! Beneful Dry Dog Food | Review and Rating

What I don't like about it, without even reading the review. is the huge amount of dye they add to the dog food. Seeing as dogs are colorblind there is one reason and one reason only to add all that dye--to make it pretty for the one with the checkbook.

Not only do they add dye, they add sugar, something dogs do not need in their diet at all.

Here is part of the review:
    Judging by its ingredients alone, Beneful Dog Food looks to be a below-average kibble.

But ingredient quality by itself cannot tell the whole story. We still need to estimate the product’s meat content before determining a final rating.

The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 29%, a fat level of 12% and an estimated carbohydrate content of 51%.

Protein content averaged 30% for the whole line. Fat was an anemic 12% for the group.

Moderate protein. Low fat. And above-average carbohydrates (as compared to a typical dry dog food).

In addition, when you consider the protein-boosting effect of the corn gluten meal, this is the profile of a kibble containing only a modest amount of meat.

Plus it’s difficult to ignore the unusual abundance of so many Red Flag ingredients.

Bottom line?

Beneful Dog Food is primarily a grain-based kibble using a modest amount of chicken by-products meal as its main source of animal protein, thus earning the brand 1 star.

Not recommended.

I do not know if the food has anything to do with his anal issues, and some dogs do fine on a poor quality food that is mainly ground corn, but it could not hurt to do a little research and see if it would be beneficial to switch to something more nutritious.

Here is a list of five star dog foods:
    Five Star Dry Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

And many are not much more expensive than the Beneful.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

We have issues too, and Wally is like your little fellow's. He likes to sit on my shoulder and look out the window, then he relaxes, and blammo! And I hate not allowing him to sit there, it's kind of 'our thing'. Pumpkin is relatively cheap, and if you get a big can just freeze what you don't use right away in an ice cube tray. And if you try one can and it doesn't work, you've only lost a couple of bucks. We have the boys on Taste of the Wild kibble -- gives them nice hard poops that naturally express the glands. Good luck!!
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

We also use Taste of the Wild, High Prairie Canine formula. We have been pleased. We also added Prozyme recently, and it is amazing how much my elderly Great Dane perked up. He has put some weight and muscle back on, and his coat is much improved and no longer as smelly and oily. We have been using it about three weeks or so. Dunno about anal gland issues, though...

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

we feed our Pugs K9 Kravings prepared raw food with a dollop of pumkin. We never have AG issues with this combination.
    K-9 Kraving Raw Diet Dog Food

Roseys Mom is offline Village Mayor

Just wanted to say that if you try canned pumpkin, it has to be "real" canned pumpkin...not pumpkin pie filling.! Some people recommend adding a teaspoon on top of their kibble every day. It's really high in fiber and is now actually found in some of the higher end kibble formulas.

Rosey has anal gland issues all the time. We have her on Nature's Recipe. She's doing well and it seems to be less frequent with the anal gland episodes lately, but it's not all together gone. I've probably tried every dog food that PetSmart has to offer. This is just one that she tolerates well. Our vet said another vet friend of his from Michigan State really recommended Nature's Recipe.

Our dear little pugs and all their little problems....good thing we love them so much!

@MrsGreene, Thank you so much for the info on the food! I had no idea. I will look more into it, maybe try the ones mentioned in here & in the article you said. I want to try to be as good to them as I can, not only for him but my lab as well!

Thanks to everyone for their info! I need that kind of stuff..I'm new to the pug life. How much does it cost to do the whole raw diet? Is there anything in the forum about the ins & outs of doing that? I'd be interested to try if it might stop this anal gland problem, at least a little bit. I'm going to look into the Taste of the Wild food, that sounds promising. I have some pumpkin, not the pie filling but the actual pumpkin. I hope that can do something..I had no idea about freezing it in ice cube trays. Do you then just give them the cubes to chew on or let them thaw out? I feel so clueless sometimes! But other than that, he's such a doll & I wouldn't trade him for the world. I know it's not his fault that the anal glands are a problem, that's just what comes with him. I know he doesn't purposely shoot them off on me, that would be insane. I'm familiar with the perils of it from working at the animal hospital, I just had no idea that these little guys had this issue. I hope I can try to not only get the food changed & try all those tactics but prepare a little better for when he's sleeping on my lap..I always tell myself that I'll do that & maybe keep an old blanket around for him to sleep on instead of directly on me or the couch (that was an awful one) but sometimes I just get wound up in something & let him snuggle, which is when it seems to happen. I was really upset the other day when I posted this because I got this awesome snuggie-type 3-in-1 snuggle throw (Which is AMAZING even though I look like a potato in it) & he got some on it. Luckily it cleaned really well & I was able to make it better. The only good thing about them being so little is that even though it's horrible, it's only a tiny bit (even though it smells like it's a lot more than that)

Thanks guys!

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

re: frozen pumpkin: we nuke it till it's just melted (about 25 seconds) and mix it with the food. :)
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Here is hoping that nice, firm poops will naturally clean those glands out, and he won't leak on you! I have never had a dog with leaky anal glands. I imagine it is very difficult to cope with.

+ Reply to Thread