Feeding: How many times a day? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Feeding: How many times a day?

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

You are not teaching her to potty in the crate or the house ... puppies need water. dehydration causes a myriad of health problems. Night time is not the same as metabolism slows down when they sleep. If you cannot be home to take her out, then training pads are the way to go. As she grows and her bladder gets bigger, and housebreaking is reinforced (and pugs are hard ones), you will not have a problem with her thinking peeing in the house is okay.
    16ish weeks ... her tummy is still teeny and I'd lean towards three meals, not two.
    Wally 'n' Leto likes this.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Melody is offline Village Mayor

I will try keeping water in her crate. My husband is opposed. But pee pads are not a possibility, as she eats them.

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    I will try keeping water in her crate. My husband is opposed. But pee pads are not a possibility, as she eats them.
    Then perhaps you should suggest to your husband that it is both cruel and dangerous to deprive a dog, especially a small puppy, of water. Sorry to be harsh, but that's the truth. And of course she will pee. She is a baby and is not able to control her bladder. It's like being annoyed or surprised at a 1 year old child for needing a nappy. Puppies have very fast digestive systems and it's normal for them to poop and pee shortly after eating or drinking. Surely you were aware of this before you got the dog?

I know I must come across as a first-rate know it all. I'm really not, but I'm sort of in shock that I'm the only one who seems to think it strange to leave a small puppy alone and crated for hours on end. Where I'm from, that's not just frowned upon, it's illegal. It's unsurprising that the puppy eats the pee pads. Puppies eat everything. This puppy is left alone with nothing to do. What is she supposed to do for comfort and entertainment? I'd say better she eats the pee pads than is deprived of water. But ideally, you should find somebody to take care of her during the day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

I just called my vet. I probably should have done that in the first place. The vet said that as long as she's getting enough water, we should not leave the bowl in her crate while we are potty training. We can leave a bowl of water out when she's running around the house during play. We give her three to five bowls of water a day, depending on how much she wants. The vet said this is sufficient. I have a lot of trust in you all, but I have to go with my gut and what my vet tells me.

By the way, I work from home so while she is in the crate, I am here.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

It may be sufficient but I would ask you how you would feel if you were thirsty and had no means of getting water for the next 2 hours because it was not your set drinking time.

However you are not the first person who has said their vet has advised withholding water during potty training.

Is it necessary for her to remain in her crate whilst you are at home working? I work from home and mine have always been in my office with me, and I would take them out to potty very frequently, especially in the early days. She may be destroying her pee pads in the crate out of frustration at not being able to be near you.

I also think it is worth you experimenting with leaving water out for her. You say that as soon as she drinks she potties. However, if you are only giving her water at meal times you may be mistaken as to what is actually happening. Young dogs pretty much always potty after a meal - it is not physically possible for them to drink water and immediately pee it out any more than we can do that. So I think the stimulation of the eating is what is making her pee, not the drinking.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

I can't keep an eye on her while I'm working. She would have accidents and I wouldn't get any work done. She's also a very wild dog. I'm quite certain she doesn't eat pee pads out of frustration. I live in the city and she tries to eat every piece of plastic and trash on the ground. She's even given me a scare trying to eat rocks and glass.

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    I can't keep an eye on her while I'm working. She would have accidents and I wouldn't get any work done. She's also a very wild dog. I'm quite certain she doesn't eat pee pads out of frustration. I live in the city and she tries to eat every piece of plastic and trash on the ground. She's even given me a scare trying to eat rocks and glass.
    I'm very glad to hear that she's not alone.

What I would advice is for you is this: Build a playpen in your office where she can see you, big enough for her to play. If possible, put the crate there as her "den". Allow her to have a couple of toys that she likes and things to chew. She may be changing her teeth, so the need to chew is strong. Also, it is very natural for dogs and especially pups to experience the world with their mouths. Make sure there is nothing harmful in the pen. Schedule a potty break at least once an hour and always within 20 minutes of eating, drinking, sleeping or extended playing. This way, you will minimize accidents and she will quickly catch on that pooping and peeing is for outside. Taking the puppy out often is the only way to quick and painless pottytraining, trust me. This is what we did with our pug boy and he was pretty much pottytrained at 4 months. No hassle. Remember that this period will be over in a matter of weeks IF YOU DO IT RIGHT. It is so worth it. Neither of our two pugs has ever had an accident in the house after the age of 6 months.

Alla puppies are wild and playful and somewhat destructive. They are just little kids after all. I work from home too, and I used to have Winston's bed below my desk. I'd wrestle him with his toy stuffed lion with one hand while working :) Is it possible for you to play with her for 5 minutes every time you take her out to go potty? That will make her happier and possibly calmer. I always have to work an hour or so longer because I use some time on the dogs during the day, but it's worth it.

I still say that she should be allowed to drink when she wants. If you follow the potty schedule, it shouldn't be a problem.

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

**The vet said this is sufficient. I have a lot of trust in you all, but I have to go with my gut and what my vet tells me.**

In all honesty>> I'd be looking for another vet if I got that advise. I fired a vet for creating a situation that withheld food and water from Baxter the Dalbadore for over 16 hours when he was scheduled for a neuter.
    Housebreaking is not rocket science, has been done thousands of times by the long-time dog owners here - and none of it by withholding vital hydration. Your little one is a very typical puppy ... and requires time and patience and attention to her schedule and needs. Her physiology is not capable of holding her urine the way you are asking her to.
    Last edited by DappleDoxieStaff; 01-06-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    CSollers likes this.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

gunkdawg is offline Village Puppy

Seriously? Leaving food out all day is not advisable but water? Your pug isn't peeing the water it just drank, it doesn't work that way. I had to reorganize my house/office so that there were no items that my pug could get at on the ground. Poor pug.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast