Feeding: How many times a day? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Feeding: How many times a day?

Melody is offline Village Mayor

Do you fill your water bowl up 3-5 times a day (depending on how much she wants) for a 7 lb pug? I'm quite certain she's getting enough water. It's just scheduled. I've talked to many dog owners (I live in a 247 unit condo building with more dogs than people) outside of PV the last few days and the consensus is that PVers are over-reacting. I have a very happy (but wild), spoiled dog.

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Do you fill your water bowl up 3-5 times a day (depending on how much she wants) for a 7 lb pug? I'm quite certain she's getting enough water. It's just scheduled. I've talked to many dog owners (I live in a 247 unit condo building with more dogs than people) outside of PV the last few days and the consensus is that PVers are over-reacting. I have a very happy (but wild), spoiled dog.
    A lot of dog owners are sadly ignorant to the needs of dogs. What we are telling you is that we have all managed to potty train our puppies without witholding water. Potty training really isn't rocket science and, if done properly, is over in a matter of weeks. A dog should be able to drink whenever it's thirsty. Just pretend for a second that we are talking about a small human child, say a one year old. Would you ever dram of witholding water from a thirsty toddler, just so you don't have to change nappies at night? Probably not.

When you get a dog, it is your responsibilty to change your life and routines to accomodate the dog's needs. What you're doing is compromising her needs in order to suit you.

Also, I do not believe any small puppy is happy spending long periods in her crate without being able to see her owner. Dogs are pack animals and don't like to be separated from their pack. Pugs were bred for human companionship so are exceptionally attached to their humans.

It doesn't seem that you really want advice from experienced pug owners. It seems you just want to be told that you're doing the right thing.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

If she is actually getting through 3 to 5 bowls of water a day I would be concerned. How big are the bowls? My pugs probably drink 1 1/2 bowls of water each throughout the day. They get about 3/4 of a bowl through the day flooding their food and then will each drink another 1/4 to 1/2 bowl at random times. They are both fully grown adults. I'd be interested to know how much water other pugs drink. If she was allowed to drink at will she might actually drink less; if she is very thirsty each time she gets water she may be drinking more in her relief at getting water than she actually needs to.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

**Do you fill your water bowl up 3-5 times a day (depending on how much she wants) for a 7 lb pug?**

ummm ... no. My dogs range from 13 pounds to 85 and none of them drink close to 3-5 bowls of water per day. IF yours is - then there is an issue with her health that needs to be addressed. They have 5 gallon buckets in their pens that only need a scant quart to top them off in the evenings. Even the eight cats only drink about 3/4 of a large dish per day total.

If you are going to 'shop' opinions, I wish you all the best. Experienced and concerned dog owners of this forum, who see their dogs as more than a decoration, more than a pet, more than 'just a dog' are concerned with doing the right thing for the health and well-being of the canine companions that share their lives. If that is 'overreacting' ... well, count me in with the nervous nellies.
    Hellas likes this.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Melody is offline Village Mayor

Her bowl holds 1/2 cup of dry food. I don't know how much that is in liquid. She usually drinks three bowls, but she drinks more when she's been playing hard or walking. She pees and poops on schedule. She's a healthy dog. I've appreciated your advise, but I think me and my vet have a handle on things now. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123