Catheter for emergency meds
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Catheter for emergency meds

Libby2 is offline Village Admiral

Default Catheter for emergency meds

Has anyone had to administer medication via an anal catheter? I ask because my vet gave me a different method of doing it than the hospital did, and I was wondering if one way was better than the other in an emergency.

Bottoms Up!
    Spanky & Libby

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

No, but i would love to know how, do tell?

Take care,
    lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Well, when I got the supplies for the valium injection at the hospital, it had all these components. The syringe, the needle, the vile, the catheter, latex gloves, and lubricating jelly. Before our travels for the holiday's, I sat down to review how to go through all these steps and for the life of me, couldn't remember how to put the needle and the syring together, then take off the needle and then put on the catheter at the end of the syringe. The catheter is an extremely long, flexible tube, and you'd need someone to hold the dog still while you try to insert just a smidgen of it.

Cut to the vet appointment yesterday, and she just filled some ready-to-go syringes for me that have a longer point at the end then mine do. Then you just stick the point of that syringe in and done.

I can see two sides of this...one being the catheter would make sure the medication is all going in and the tube could help if there was any bowel obstructions in the way, but what a pain. The pre-filled syringe is easy, but that short nub makes me think it could splash out or something.

I don't have time to experiment if he's in a crisis situation and I should be packing him up for the hospital.

Bottoms Up!
    Spanky & Libby

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Sounds like your vet's method is far more practical.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Interesting. Is there a reason it cannot be given as a normal injection instead of through the catheter? How do you get the soft, flexible catheter past the firmly clenched puggy sphincter......and get them to remain still enough to even get it started? How far in do you have to get the catheter before depositing the medicine? What if you pull the catheter out and set him down and he poops it right back out?

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I know that there are suppositories that can be used for seizures......

I would think that the cath would get it up higher....but that might not be needed! I'd take both....and do the one that is the most comfortable at the time!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Beautiful Pugs View Post
    Interesting. Is there a reason it cannot be given as a normal injection instead of through the catheter? How do you get the soft, flexible catheter past the firmly clenched puggy sphincter......and get them to remain still enough to even get it started? How far in do you have to get the catheter before depositing the medicine? What if you pull the catheter out and set him down and he poops it right back out?

Take care,
    Lisa
    Exactly. And you brought up more questions I have to ask them. As far as real injections go, maybe I'm not qualified or something. Personally, I find that scary. But I could do it if I had to...I think. And the catheter goes oh, about a half inch perhaps. I have to look. And yes, it's a two person job imo. And right, what if he does poop it out? When he was in his seizure, there was all kinds of leakage everywhere.

My plan is to put all the equipment on the counter today and have my daughter take a picture on her phone. Hopefully then someone could tell me what Plan A should be.

Bottoms Up!
    Spanky & Libby

+ Reply to Thread