Anals, once again..
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anals, once again..

katzintheclouds is offline Village Puppy

Default Anals, once again..

Okay guys, this anal gland thing is getting insane. I know how to do them myself, I used to be a tech so I can do it at home (Even though i'm worrying that it'll make him afraid of me!). I always give him a treat afterward, which helps. But it seems like just when I get caught up, and a few days pass, I make the mistake of letting him fall asleep on me & BAM. Anals. I did them just a week ago, and had not smelled anything until today. Then suddenly, voila, right on a new blanket of mine. I proceeded to check them again, to find that the left one was empty now but the right was very full. I went ahead & expressed it but it's really getting to me.

What foods have you guys tried that have helped? I'm willing to go to anything at this point. I switched away from Beneful to a higher fiber, but it obviously isn't working. It's given him more frequent bowel movements & it's obviously making his stools softer, but I honestly think it's counter productive.

Has pumpkin worked for anyone?

Melody is offline Village Mayor

What age does this usually start happening?

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Pumpkin worked for us for awhile but we're back to having full glands again. Tinker doesn't leak but she scouts around on the floor doing donuts.Lisa swears by raw as do several others here on the village.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

katzintheclouds is offline Village Puppy

Melody, this started pretty much at the time I got him which was around 7 months. I'm having a hard time dealing with it now, I'm usually prepared for it but there's always one time that I get caught up & allow him to sleep with me and BAM. As far as the raw diet goes, how expensive does that get? With the pumpkin, did you do just canned with regular food & did you do the frozen pumpkin?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

We add 1 Tbsp to their food once a day. We get the canned and freeze it in an ice cube tray, and thaw one chunk for every dinner. It's made a big improvement for Leto, and he's a real stinker (literally). Just be sure you get pure pumpkin, not pie filling! :)
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I buy the canned organic pumpkin pureed and put it in either a plastic container or a glass container and use a tbsp with each meal. I think the can is 15oz.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

8cherryberry is offline Village Puppy

I found pumpkin helps with Audrey. We cut up a pumpkin, cooked it and blended it then put it in an icecube tray and she gets an pumpkin cube every day or a couple every few days. I found BARF didn't help Audrey, and the only way to control hers is with a good dry biscuit. I'm currently trialing her on Holistic Select and she's gone a bit over a week without any problems. We also add benefibre (clear, tasteless) powder into her water which dissolves. Her last visit to the vet for expressing was 2 weeks ago. I can link you to the thread I started about Anal glands if you like, plenty of great info in there

edit: here is the thread I started https://www.pugvillage.com/forum/pug-...anal-sacs.html
    Last edited by 8cherryberry; 01-18-2012 at 07:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread