Alar Fold Resection (AKA Nose Job)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Alar Fold Resection (AKA Nose Job)

Niki01 is offline Village Puppy

Default Alar Fold Resection (AKA Nose Job)

OK, so I was told by our vet today to consider getting the alar fold resection for Prim because of her small nose holes. They said it can cause future problems down the road.
    J was doing some research and found some stories about the Pugs nose falling off...
    Has anyone had this surgery done? And how well did it turn out? This is a HUGE concern for me. She doesn't seem to struggle too much with breathing or other things so I'm not sure that's a big issue. Please let me know what you think, or any experiences you have had.
    Thanks!
    Nicole - Prim's human.
    www.nicole-walters.com

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

I have no first hand experience, but the nose falling off sounds like a pretty drastic complication. When we were considering having it done for Wally the vet said sometimes it looks funny if you look too closely and pay too much attention to it -- like a person with a nose job.

How old is Prim? Wally's nose suddenly grew when he was 6 months and he didn't have any problem any more. If Prim is not mouth breathing, panting or gasping, I would be thinking pretty carefully whether or not it was truly necessary, unless she is having an anesthetic for a necessary procedure anyhow.
    taffiecandy likes this.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

better to open the nares and resect the palate than to take out the nose roll, it usually doesn't help much with breathing, just with chronic infections in the area.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Oh, I misunderstood... the alar fold is the nose roll surgery?? that never occurred to me as the surgery was described for Prim's stenotic nares. That makes no sense then. It was the nare surgery that was recommended for Wally. I have never seen a pug with a nose roll so big it impaired breathing....
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Quote Originally Posted by Wally 'n' Leto View Post
    Oh, I misunderstood... the alar fold is the nose roll surgery?? that never occurred to me as the surgery was described for Prim's stenotic nares. That makes no sense then. It was the nare surgery that was recommended for Wally. I have never seen a pug with a nose roll so big it impaired breathing....
    Nope you are right! I have never heard of the stenotic nares surgery referred to by that name and just ASSUMED (my bad) that it was the nose roll surgery.

I have never heard of a pug having any severe complications following nare surgery, however it should be done after the dog is full adult size, if needed.

Sorry....I really shouldn't assume...

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Lisa, I think we both need a little nip and to head to bed. :) (well, you can have a nip for me) We're obviously tired or something.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Beautiful Pugs View Post
    better to open the nares and resect the palate than to take out the nose roll, it usually doesn't help much with breathing, just with chronic infections in the area.

Take care,
    Lisa
    I agree!!!! I don't remember how old your girl is.....but as the heads grow....many of the openings get larger. Do nothing til she's about 9 mo old as long as she's eating, playing well..
    Pugpillow likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Niki01 is offline Village Puppy

They said they usually do it when they are spayed or neutered since they are already under. Im planning on having her spayed when she is about 6 months old but I'm thinking no on the nose surgery. They would cut a piece from the nose so the nose hole opening is bigger. She only snores at certain times such as sleeping. She runs around a lot and does not pant as much as she snores at night. So if she is not having big problems from running around like a crazy dog then I don't think it is something to worry too hard about.
    I keep hearing the same thing about there nose possibly growing more or growing into their noses. So i am just going to wait until she is a bit older.
    Thank you guys!

Also, what exactly is a nip? Are we talking drink, nap? LOL. Had to ask!
    Nicole - Prim's human.
    www.nicole-walters.com

Russ is offline Village Royalty
    Northern Virginia-Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

The nose roll surgery was suggested for Mz Tilly, but to keep the upper edge and hairs from rubbing the corner of her eyes. Same thing was suggested for Miss Angel. Not sure if we are all talking the same nose roll procedure. The nare and soft palate reduction are for sure 2 different procedures. I have quotes for all 3. Really the soft palate and nose roll would help tilly some, the nares are fine (at least externally).

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Niki01 View Post
    Also, what exactly is a nip? Are we talking drink, nap? LOL. Had to ask!
    A nip is a drink!
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana**

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast