Whipworms, hookworms and tapeworms, need advice please. Never had a worm infestation before :(
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whipworms, hookworms and tapeworms, need advice please. Never had a worm infestation before :(

Raynebowpug is offline Village Puppy

Default Whipworms, hookworms and tapeworms, need advice please. Never had a worm infestation before :(

So I had written last week about our new pug Ellie. We dropped off a stool sample on Thursday night. I called the vet this morning, and she is positive for hookworm, tapeworm and whip worm. Based on what I have read online ( I know it usually makes things seem worse and more scary...) I am FREAKED out! I have 4 kids, 5yr and under. We have the 2 cats and both pugs.
    Most of all I am REALLY upset (and that's toned down) with her previous owners. They told me she had recently been to the vet, and was healthy. I feel like I should contact her owners and ask for the money its costing for this. I doubt I'll hear from them,. but I am really mad. I am besides myself with this. I do NOT want my kids to get these. I do not want to give her back to the people I got her from either. She is scared to death whenever I raise my hand to try and throw a toy for her, or playing catch with my kids, and she is scared when i sweep the floor and lift up the broom. So, logic tells me she was abused. I don't want her going back to them. She is a GREAT dog. She ran out the door yesterday, I quickly threw on shoes and grabbed her leash expecting to have to chase her down. I called her name, she stopped dead in her tracks and came running back to me. I have NEVER had a dog that does that.
    So my questions are, how likely is it that my kids will catch this from her? I read that whip worm is pretty much a dog only thing, its the hookworm that scares me most. Also, any suggestions for making sure the yard doesn't get infested? Or help on clearing one up? I wasn't picking up her poop right away, as I now know I should have. Will bleach kill the eggs? (I don't care about my lawn being perfect) I am taking her to my other side of the yard to do her business, and picking up immediately. I live in a mobile home, and we're on the end, so I am using the side that no one ever goes on now. With my other pug, how likely is he to get it, and should I treat him to be on the safe side? Should I treat the cats as well too? Sorry for the abundance of questions, I've only ever had to deal with round worm in cats before, so dog worms are a whole new world to me, and I am honestly spooked right now. I made an appointment for her tomorrow at 5, any suggestions for a good wormer to ask the vet for? I haven't seen this one yet, but my mom swears by him, says he is an AWESOME guy, but I like to be educated when going in there, just in case.
    Thanks in advance for any advice. I just feel sick to my stomach, and this so explains her breathing issues if the worms have migrated to her lungs.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

I have a close friend who is a prof of parasitology, I have forwarded this to him for advice. I'll keep you posted.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Thank you!!! And tell him I said thank you too :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Sorry about the delay; I hadn't forgotten you. I got the answer last night -- I didn't realize he was having cataract surgery last week. Here's the reply... looks like you don't need to panic. Hope for a couple of days of cold weather, and you'll be all good! :)

Sorry for the delay. There is no need to panic over this.

The tapeworm is most probably Dipylidium caninum. It may be transmitted to children if a dog nips a flea that carries the larval stage of the tapeworm, and then immediately licks the face of the child, and the child swallows the larval stage of the parasite. *Kids are not good hosts and generally get rid of the infection spontaneously. Parents tend to freak out when they see the worm in the stool of their kids, but the worm does not generally pose a problem. There are some good drugs that can kill the worm both in dogs and humans, should it persist (which is highly unlikely). There are some other tapes that can occur in dogs, but these are generally transmitted by dogs eating rodents or larger mammals (which is unlikely for a pug). *So the owner should ask the vet for the identity of the tape. Cats may also become infected, again without much problem. If it is Dipyllidium, flea control is advised. Fleas pick up the infection *from dog feces, or from eggs on the fur ofthe dogs, generally in the house, so once the dogs are trained, the feces in the yard are no longer available to the fleas.

The whipworm (Trichuris) is not usually a problem to other species, but I will check. I can't remember if the eggs are resistant to freezing, but I will check. In any event, regular treatments will usually keep dog infections and soil contamination down.

The hookworm (Ancylostoma caninum) can cause problems in humans, particularly small children who play on soil contaminated with hookworm larvae that hatch from eggs deposited with infected dog feces. The larvae can sometimes penetrate skin and cause itchy tracts, but they are generally stopped at the skin level and never get to the gut. Hookworms can occur all over North America, but are endemic year-round only where there are constant high temperatures and moisture. If the dogs are treated and checked before it gets warm, there will be no infection of the yard. If the yard is contaminated, a short spell of frozen ground will decontaminate the soil. Dogs generally *pick up the infection orally or prenatally.

People should also remember that most of these infections tend to disappear or at least get very low as the dogs get older and build up an immunity to the parasites. Most of these infections occur in puppies, however hookworms can can suck enough blood in a puppy to cause anemia and retarded growth if left untreated, so treatment is highly recommended.

Let me know if you need more information.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

Rely on your vet, take a list of questions, and follow a worming regime. Both of you will be fine.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Thank you for not giving up on Ellie and giving her back to the old owners.

Thank you Wally n Leto! That really helps me put my mind at ease! I got a LOT of crap from my dad, (yeah, he still gets on my case, even though I'm 27 LOL) I will tell him this, and he should mellow out a bit! :)
    I really doubt her old owners would want her back...And I would NOT want to give her back to them either...with all the things she had wrong with her, they were happy to sell her to the 1st person that wanted her. He didn't ask anything about my home, which should have been a BIG warning sign. Didn't ask if I had a vet I used, nothing. Thankfully, I like to think that I was meant to find her, we can try to figure out a way to get her health problems taken cared of. I am gonna be setting up an appointment to see what all she is gonna need done, going to a different vet that is recommended and used by the local pug rescue. Its a bit farther than my 5min drive, more like about a half hour, which isn't terrible. We have one day a week to do doc appointments for ourselves, kids and the animals. Next two weeks are already full, unless I can somehow figure out a way to squeeze one more appt. in.

+ Reply to Thread