Vaccine Question?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pugpillow

Thread: Vaccine Question?

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

Default Vaccine Question?

Max is due for his distemper but then his rabies is not due till November.
    wandering if it is ok to do the vaccines half way between the times and see we can do this one a year for the vaccines.
    saves on another vet bill too..
    Max vaccines are all out of wack since the first set of vaccines the past owner said he did get was a phoney set of vet records...another reason to watch with a rescue dog.
    he was neutered and then we found out about the false set of records and had to start with puppy vaccines.........
    so hence the time frame in the shots..

anyone got any thoughts on this?
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Does he need distemper vaccine? I'm not doing that anymore.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

NO.....vaccines should be given at least 3 weeks apart!

I do puppy shots....one adult shot by 2 yrs old...and that's it!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

OK thanks Diane...will do that...

I know that Zeus gets his adult shots at one time here.......and they do them every year with the pugs since they are smaller and can react... the bulldogs are on 3 year vaccines I believe. Gus is also due for his distemper and other ones but not his rabies..

will take Max in 2 times a year...until this all gets figured out with the shots
    I am sure that he is done with the puppy shots by now though
    will talk more to the vet when i see them too

I was SHOCKED as well as the vet at the FALSE vet records. I wandered since he had such a crappy past and called to ask the vet about them on the records and no such number...they said. then we checked an there was no vet by that name either............so the sheet was all a put on and faked...arrggg
    the vet felt that since we had no idea if he had any puppy shots or not to just start off from the start with them and that is what we did. all this came up over 2 years so that I am thinking that the puppy shots are done for now..............but will talk to the vet like I said more

according to the vet here all dogs need distemper no matter what the age..of the dog..
    so I just go ahead and do it

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

No, no, no, no, no. IF he needs the distemper, and he probably doesn't (especially if he had it within the last 3 years), make sure it is at least 3 weeks apart from the rabies shot. Despite what some vets are still doing, multiple shots should never be given the same day as it is too great an assault on the immune system, which makes it hard for the immune system to activate the antibodies against the diseases that the vaccine is developed to protect against. So you may be taking a risk of a negative vaccination reaction for no benefit. A waste of time and money.

If you are still doing annual vaccinations, stop! Rabies in Ontario should be done only every 3 years with a 3 year vaccine (the exception to this is for puppies who have the first shot at 3 months and an adult booster (with a 3 year vaccine) a year later. Then every 3 years.

DHPP = distemper, hepatitis (aka adenovirus), parvovirus and parainfluenza.

Of the vaccines in this DHPP combo, the only ones necessary are distemper and parvovirus (both very serious diseases, especially for puppies or dogs in a shelter environment). So you are better to get the DPv (distemper & parvovirus) rather than the DHPP. The problem is that many vet clinics still don't stock this and they need enough customers asking for it to make it worth their while to order it in. As they become more educated on the latest vaccination/immunology findings, it will be stocked more widespreadly. Just as the switch from one-year rabies vaccines to 3-year rabies vaccines took a while to filter into the veterinary world, so will the DPv gradually replace the DHPP. But it is up to us, our dog's primary caretakers to ensure we don't let our vets overvaccinate our dogs or try to intimidate us with scare tactics when we have more knowledge about updated research and expert guidelines through self-education.

The DHPP/DA2PP combo vaccine and the DPv are discretionary. Again it is very important for puppies to have these "puppy shots" - at 9-10 weeks, 9 - 10 weeks and 16 -18 weeks. And then one year later. Some experts say that this should be good for life but if you want to be "better safe than sorry" (a phrase used by many vets to support over-vaccination), then either have titer tests done (which may indicated you don't need to revaccinate) or revaccinate only every 3 years. People who understand immunology and canine/feline vaccination, think that being "better safe than sorry" means the opposite of overvaccinating - when in doubt, don't vaccinate but rather do a titer test to see if the risk of vaccinating is worth the benefit at any given time.

Here is a video that IMO should be mandatory watching for anyone, client and vet, who is involved in vaccination decisions: Small Dog Vaccination Danger Alert - YouTube . It is based partly on a study published in the Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association (http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...59&topic=10205) which found that after dachshunds, pugs as a breed are at highest risk of negative vaccine reaction. We have certainly seen too many instances of this in our rescue pugs and I have experienced it first-hand. It's very scary to watch a negative reaction, and it's very frustrating to see a healthy dog suffer (and sometimes die) because a vet you trusted to look after the best interests of your beloved dog either didn't know about or dismissed the gravity of inappropriate vaccinating.

Here is the latest (hot off the press fall, 2011) guidelines from the agreed upon authority, the American Animal Hospital Association which supports the information I have provided above. I'd put a lot of money on it that many vets have not yet read it; if you do, you will be more informed than your vet and a better caretaker of your dog: (https://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocume...Guidelines.pdf)
    Pat's Crew likes this.
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

thanks Hillary for that info

+ Reply to Thread