Horrible stinky pug breath!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hellas

Thread: Horrible stinky pug breath!

maxinesmomma is offline New to the Village

Default Horrible stinky pug breath!

I have the sweetest dog but her breath is just...wow! I have tried different dental bones, treats, diets, etc.... She still has the dragon breath. Anyone know how to make it less obnoxious?

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

In all likelyhood, she needs to go to the vet to have her teeth and gums thoroughly cleaned. Pugs often do have problems with their teeth and it not only smells, it's painful for the pug as well. I've known many a pug with terrible tooth decay, so it's best to nip it in the bud and get a fresh breath as a bonus.

I believe that throat infections/tonsillitis can also cause bad breath. At least that's what I've heard. I have no personal experience with this though.

Either way, I think you need to call the vet :)
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

Buddy's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Hellas View Post
    In all likelyhood, she needs to go to the vet to have her teeth and gums thoroughly cleaned. Pugs often do have problems with their teeth and it not only smells, it's painful for the pug as well. I've known many a pug with terrible tooth decay, so it's best to nip it in the bud and get a fresh breath as a bonus.

I believe that throat infections/tonsillitis can also cause bad breath. At least that's what I've heard. I have no personal experience with this though.

Either way, I think you need to call the vet :)
    That is my feeling also. My mother has a poodle that had horrible breath and it turned out to be tonsillitis, they took them out and he has had perfect breath ever since.
    Jennifer

Owned by: Buddy 11-22-03 - 4-17-14 RIP My Buddy, Oscar 1-18-09, & Sophie 4-08-10 - 10-08-15 RIP Sweet Sophie, Elmer Chihuahua 10-6-12, & Otto Chihuahua 11-28-14, 2 Fabulous Kitties, Wife to Chris and Mom to Ryan!

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites or women for men." Alice Walker

"Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!" ~Anne Tyler

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Rugby needs to go in for a dental, too...I hate doing it, she is 9 now, but the vet feels that as far as the anesthesia risk goes, it is worse for them to have bad teeth & gums. Rugby had her teeth cleaned once quite a few years ago, & even at her younger age, had to have 4 teeth removed. I think once they really start having stinky breath, the only thing you can do is take them in to get them cleaned at the vet. You'll probably be surprised at how nice they smell again afterwards.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Our dentist (she's a vet who does only dental work) uses minimal anesthesia (to the point where Wally kept opening his eyes and looking at her which she said royally creeped her out), so there is little risk from that, and gingivitis and mouth infections can migrate to the heart and cause carditis -- infection and inflammation of the heart muscle. Not to mention the pain of loose and rotting teeth and gums. Clean teeth are a must!!
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

+ Reply to Thread