Witch Hazel Remedy!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By frankoliverlucy
  • 1 Post By DappleDoxieStaff

Thread: Witch Hazel Remedy!!!

frankoliverlucy is offline Village Mayor

Red face Witch Hazel Remedy!!!

I am so happy to say that day 3 of the withch hazel remedy I got from this site (I think it was Lisa's post) has done wonders for Franks Ears! All of the icky black Stuff is gone and the skin is nice and pale pink no longer red and inflamed.
    I am wondering if this actually kills the yeast or if I should still use an antibiotic cream as well??/
    Also we are on day 2 of the food change to Grain Free, but are still mixing it in with his old Blue Buffalo Kibble that has grain...
    Thanks Pug Village for the Awesome Advice!
    Bugoneal and Wally 'n' Leto like this.
    "I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons." ~ Will Rogers

Katie-
    Mom to Pug Children Frank, Lucy and Piglet, and Human Children Jake, Maddy Jimmy and John

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

Antibiotics cannot kill fungi (yeast) - they are designed for bacteria. If there is an infected scratch, that is where it will help.
    A little clortrimazole (Lotrimin - from the foot care aisle) sparingly rubbed may help. But really, the WH should be more than enough.
    frankoliverlucy likes this.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

The witch hazel mixture kills both yeast and bacteria. It is not an anti-biotic or anti-fungal, but a disinfectant and drying agent. It is also actually soothing for the skin and helps to keep the canal dry. AND IT'S CHEAP!! and easy to find. No need to go to an anti-fungal or anti-biotic unless it doesn't work....in which case I recommend Zymox or mometamax. Zymox is safer.

Glad it is working for you.

I did not invent the recipe, I came across it when I first joined here, and have been spreading the word ever since. It's great stuff.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

frankoliverlucy is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Beautiful Pugs View Post
    The witch hazel mixture kills both yeast and bacteria. It is not an anti-biotic or anti-fungal, but a disinfectant and drying agent. It is also actually soothing for the skin and helps to keep the canal dry. AND IT'S CHEAP!! and easy to find. No need to go to an anti-fungal or anti-biotic unless it doesn't work....in which case I recommend Zymox or mometamax. Zymox is safer.

Glad it is working for you.

I did not invent the recipe, I came across it when I first joined here, and have been spreading the word ever since. It's great stuff.

Take care,
    Lisa
    Thanks for passing it along, I found a few other "ear care recipes" online but all contained Boric Acid which can really change the PH and is not good to get into the bloood stream so I was a little worried.
    He seems to be tolerating the witch hazel nicely.
    I may be a little confused but why would my vet prescribe an antibiotic like otomax (which she has done in the past) for a yeast infection and not an anti-fungal?
    "I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons." ~ Will Rogers

Katie-
    Mom to Pug Children Frank, Lucy and Piglet, and Human Children Jake, Maddy Jimmy and John

GotPugs is offline Village Senator

Default To Keep Yeast Away............

Wipe out the ears daily with white vinegar it works wonders to keep the yeasty gunk away and also give a daily pro-biotic and yeast will never be a issue again.

If you need any meds Zymox is wonderful compared to anything I've tried over the many years.

+ Reply to Thread