+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AMC7181
  • 1 Post By DappleDoxieStaff

Thread: Pedigree Puppy wet n dry

Aquamarie is offline Village Mayor

Unhappy Pedigree Puppy wet n dry

Hi all:

I have a 7 month old black female pug named Lilly, since she was 12 weeks old my husband and I have been feeding her Pedigree puppy wet n dry.
    Now in Australia Pedigree is kinda known as top stuff to some casue its expensive to buy in supermarkets, so it has to be good right? Well i just found out from a familey member that Pedigree is crap. I did reserch that
    Pedigree food is like the equivalint of feeding your child cake n cookies all the time. Now im totaly devestated casue i thought i was giving my staffy and pug the best food. I have looked into the best I can get here and its called Advance. Now its expensive so im not going to be able to afford it till next month and i have like 2 bags of puppy dry that needs to be used. So my question to all of you. What kind of health effects is this going to have on my baby girl, she weighs around 7KG i think thats 14 pounds. I feel like the worst mom right now... adivce on what could happen to her would be great, how to go about introducing this new food ect will be greatly apprciated.
    Proud mommy of Rocky my Staffy & Lilly my Pug

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Hi
    First of all, remember that it's a good thing that you learned this. Many people feed their dogs poor food their whole lives. There are a multitude of health risks connected with poor nutrition. They include the risk of allergies, yeast, anal gland issues, lack of energy etc.

What you should be looking for is a food that contains no grains or only a little. Dogs don't need carbohydrates and do best on food that is relatively high in fat and protein. If somebody tells you to give a dog fibres for healthy digestion, do not listen. A dog's digestive system doesn't work that way. They are meant to consist on a diet of mostly meat and bones and some stomach content of prey animals. I believe that Ziwipeak is a recommended as a good brand. I don't feed kibble, so I'm not really an expert though. I know there is a website where you can compare foods. The link has been posted many times on the forum. Check out old threads and you're sure to find it.

Don't worry about the two bags you have left. If you are switching to another kibble, you should always do the transition slowly and gradually. You may need to stretch it out over a couple of weeks in order to avoid a stomach upset. If, once the transition is finished, you have some of the old kibble left, you can always use it as a treat during training sessions.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

AMC7181 is offline Village Governor

I can't remember what we first fed our Pugs when we got them, but I'd bet it's not as good as what we're feeding now. We had been using Blue Buffalo kibble mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with various canned foods; several different companies, different proteins, etc. We're now switching over to homemade raw food. Variety is a good thing, despite the common thought that dogs should eat the same thing every day. We found it was easy to achieve variety using a mix of canned and kibble. I'm still getting used to the raw diet; it's (obviously) taking longer to prepare than the pre-made stuff, but I do feel good about knowing exactly what's in it.

Check out this article on the Whole Dog Journal. It will provide you with guidelines on how to select a quality food.

Hallmarks of Quality Dog Food (What to Look For) - Whole Dog Journal Article

WDJ also has lists of "recommended" kibbles and canned foods, but I'm not sure which of them would be available in Australia.

Good luck!
    Hellas likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by AMC7181 View Post
    I can't remember what we first fed our Pugs when we got them, but I'd bet it's not as good as what we're feeding now. We had been using Blue Buffalo kibble mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with various canned foods; several different companies, different proteins, etc. We're now switching over to homemade raw food. Variety is a good thing, despite the common thought that dogs should eat the same thing every day. We found it was easy to achieve variety using a mix of canned and kibble. I'm still getting used to the raw diet; it's (obviously) taking longer to prepare than the pre-made stuff, but I do feel good about knowing exactly what's in it.

Check out this article on the Whole Dog Journal. It will provide you with guidelines on how to select a quality food.

Hallmarks of Quality Dog Food (What to Look For) - Whole Dog Journal Article

WDJ also has lists of "recommended" kibbles and canned foods, but I'm not sure which of them would be available in Australia.

Good luck!
    Totaly agree about variety. I'm convinced that we are ruining our dogs' stomachs by feeding them only the same thing day in and day out (and not the best thing either)
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Please don't beat yourself up. The saying goes, "when we know better we do better" and now that you're aware I'm sure you will chose a better food for your doggies. We have members here from Australia and I'm sure they will be along to let you know what's available there and what some of the good choices are.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamarie View Post
    Hi all:

So my question to all of you. What kind of health effects is this going to have on my baby girl, she weighs around 7KG i think thats 14 pounds. I feel like the worst mom right now... adivce on what could happen to her would be great, how to go about introducing this new food ect will be greatly apprciated.
    As she is still young and has been eating "cake and cookies" most of her life, I would start as soon as possible on getting her intestines in good shape. The gut has good and bad organisms and the bad can overtake the good on a high starch/carb/sugar diet. The immune system is also in the gut so this is very important. Too much bad organisms can lead to "leaky gut" and can manifest as allergies/ear infections/itchy paws/local and systemic yeast infection/body odor...etc. To help the gut and immune system start giving her a good probiotic. A good dog probiotic will have many species of organisms not just acidophillus as this is not dog specific enough. An addition of a digestive enzyme is also a good idea to help break down the high carb content in Pedigree as a food with high grains/carbs can slowly stress the pancreas out. A supergreen supplement can also be of benefit like astathanxin, chlorella.

Since she is 7 months she can eat adult food so start looking around for that. And transition slowly, even if you need to get more Pedigree to mix with the new adult food. Some dogs can transition in 2 weeks, some can't. One of mine took a month. Crappie food tastes good and cheap ingredients/additives can have an almost addictive effect on some dogs. MSG found in alot of substances/ingredients is a neurological excitotoxin. Can be addictive.

You can read about the products I mentioned by clicking on the products at this site and then see if you can find something like them in Austrailia.

Healthy Pet Products | Healthy Pet Toys - Mercola.com

Many people fall for the marketing on the dog food bags, treats, etc. You also have to read ingredients in all things - treats, supplements, shampoos...

http://www.amazon.com/Excitotoxins-T...8991323&sr=8-1

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

See ... here's the thing - there are hundreds of thousands of dogs that eat grocery store kibble all their lives and lead perfectly healthy normal lives. Could they be healthier - yup. Are their owners negligent or cruel - nope. Their pet, their choice, and if it works for them, there should never be any recriminations or long-winded judgments. Feeding a grocery kibble that a breeder or former owner recommends is not cause for guilt or despair either. Changing to a better food at any point in the dog's life will better their quality. Feeding a grocery kibble is unlikely to cause long term disastrous effects, even in a puppy. Look at all the rescues on this forum. How quickly does their health improve the moment they get a good diet>> I have no clue what KC, Nemo, Peggy, DiNo, Mandy, or Remy ate before they got here. So ... they got fed a bit of bland diet with my kibble at the time and we went on. Never a bit of digestive issue ... nor do they indicate a problem with their stomachs from eating the same kibble.
    For years, without seeing the research, i have tried to avoid corn in my dog's food. It just made sense ... but then, I read the labels in my own food, too. It goes hand in hand. I fed Purina O.N.E from the moment it came out, until they changed the formulas, then moved to Diamond, then Nutro, now back to Diamond using the Naturals line. the Doxies dislike the lamb, the big dogs dislike the chicken ... so they get their preference every night. I happened on some Innova at half price last week. Bought it since Atwood's was sold out of Diamond Naturals. The Doxies sniffed it, tried to bury it. Gave me the Diss of the Doxies.
    Is Diam. Nat's the best kibble on the market> No. But it does rank a 4 star rating, it is in my budget, the dogs eat it well, and they look great. Raw is simply not an option, I don't believe in the current philosophy of feeding dogs veggies and fruits - they just do not have the enzymes (as with the corn) to digest and utilize the stuff completely.
    A dog's diet is important ... they (and we) are what they (we) eat - but I think oft times we over analyze and agonize and fret and fuss too hard over the choices we make. If we are doing the best we can as Humans and owners ... the dogs are pretty well content.
    Mom to Lucy likes this.
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

+ Reply to Thread