+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kcaudle
  • 1 Post By Snifter
  • 2 Post By 6 Beautiful Pugs

Thread: help needed

kcaudle is offline Village Mayor

Default help needed

Ok I am hoping all you pug experts can help me...

Avery my youngest pug who is almost five months now has a problem going on in his folds by his nose. It started looking like a skin irritation and now it has spreaded from below his eye to almost touching his nose. There is no hair growing in this patch. I have taken him to the vet THREE times now the first time they put him on oral antibiotics the second time they dident change the treatment and now the third time they put him on topical antibiotic. The thought was thrown out there of ring worm but the vet says it doesnt look like it and that would have spread to us or the other pugs most likely...So now they are thinking its a fungal infection of sorts. I wish I could get him to hold still enough to get a good picture...I will attach a pic to this post but like I said the bugger doesn't hold still very good... LOL... if anyone has experienced this let me know what you did for it..I dont have many options for a vet here in rural ND so to get a second opinion is about 2 hours away but I will if they are not treating him properly.. Thanks for any input...

And just for fun...I was calling sam for several minutes and I couldent find him so I started panicking..I went to the computer room and sat down to call my husband and turned around and this is what I found..The poor guy hates it here in ND he cant wait until Im done with nursing schoool so we can move back to more pleasant temperatures...

bnwebm likes this.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Poor little guy. I would guess it is fungal, but also wonder if it may be some kind of mange. Is it itching him at all? I would have thought the vet should do a skin scrape to see if there is any sign of parasites.
    Wally 'n' Leto likes this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Yes, my first thought too is that it looks like a small mange spot.

This is what I would do if he were mine. Clean the crease and bare spot out daily with a disposable make up pad soaked in the ear and nose roll solution I recommend:

1/3 c. white vinegar
    1/3 c. isopropyl alcohol (common 70% rubbing alcohol)
    1/3 c. witch hazel
    5-10 drps (give or take) tea tree oil

Put it in a an old diswashing detergent bottle with a pull top. You can also use this solution to clean the ears.

After cleaning and again in the evening, apply a little neem oil to the bare spots. Neem can be gotten very inexpensively online (Neem Tree Farms - Quality Neem Products - All-Natural Neem for People, Pets andPlants) or you can usually find it at health/natural food stores or vitamin shops.

My guess is you would see hair regrowth within two weeks. If so, you can cut the cleaning down to once or twice a week and the neem to once a day. When the hair is completely re-grown, you can eliminate it completely.

IF it does not go away with this treatment or gets worse, you will need to get a topical anti-fungal/antibiotic like Mometamax or Zymox...I would also have the vet do a skin scraping and woods lamp to check for demodex or sarcoptic mange.

Take care,
    Lisa
    shaynapug and Tinker's mom like this.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

kcaudle is offline Village Mayor

How would he have developed mange???

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Demodex mange is present normally in all dogs. It is only a problem when it gets out of balance, usually from a weakened immune system. It is not contagious.

Sarcoptic mange can be gotten from other dogs, coyotes, foxes, wolves. It is highly contagious.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Poor Avery. You've received some good advice already so I will just add my good thoughts for it to clear up and Avery to feel better soon.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

+ Reply to Thread