Demodex!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Demodex!

Jessie87 is offline Village Puppy

Default Demodex!

Hi there everyone, I'm so glad I found this "village"! I have some venting to do!
    My 5 month old puggy "buck" has demodex, a bad case of it. It started off with 2 small bald patches about a month ago and the vet said it's not demodex, then it got worse, pink spots on his cheek and the vet perscribed him antibiotics and steriods! all of a sudden his hair fell off and he wounded himself, we had no idea the steroids would make it worse
    I took him for a check up the same day he was due for his 2nd vaccine, the assistant gave him the vaccination then the vet walked in and said he's got demodex and prescribed him The dip treatment, and that night he scratched himself so hard it started bleeding and looked infected. My husband and i had our hearts broken just seeing him like that so The next morning we took him to a different vet and she gave him advocate treatment once a week and antibiotics for a week and Hibiscrub daily. I started the treatment 5 days ago and had to make him wear a cone so he won't scratch, the wounds have dried up and the crust is falling off, is that a good sign?
    I'm really worried that the hair won't grow back where he wounded himself
    We do everything to try and keep him happy while he goes through this.
    Last edited by Jessie87; 05-21-2012 at 02:34 PM.

TNPUGMOMOF2 is offline Village Royalty

It will grow back. My current foster has demodex and my pug, Hanky, had a horrible case of it. Yeah, steriods were about the worst thing that they could have given him. Vet is an idiot, but I do see your are not in the US. It will grow back. It takes time. Hanky was a big bleeding scab the first week of Oct when I got him, and by before Xmas he was great and mite free!
    Marci - pugmom to Lola, Bella, Hank & BIG brother Odin the English Mastiff.

Spud is offline Village Governor

I hope Buck gets better soon. I haven't really heard of the illness. I also clean Spud's nose roll daily but before that after a while it got dirty and he would itch and has broke the skin. Also has minor allergies I had to put him back on his allergy meds today because he started scratching again last night and broke the skin :headship: All the hair has grown back before.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your great replies and wishes :)
    I hope Spud gets better :) and glad to hear Hanky is good :)

The worst part is the itching, he goes insane wanting to itch but he has the cone on, any advice?

TNPUGMOMOF2 is offline Village Royalty

Well I would try benedryl. One pill in morning and one at night. If that is not working, then a prescription antihistamine of some kind. The scabs healing will be itchy, but it is just part of the process. Maybe a cortizone type cream to apply to the inflamed areas to help soothe a little.
    Marci - pugmom to Lola, Bella, Hank & BIG brother Odin the English Mastiff.

cellophane is offline Village Governor

My babies had pretty bad demodex when they were about 3-4 months old. Their heads and legs lost all their hair and they had scabs/bleeding wounds.
    Demodex is caused by a mite (parasite) that takes over when the dog's immune system is weak. So strengthening their immune system is important to help them fight the mites off. Make sure he has a high-quality food and give him dog vitamins to supplement, if possible. The antibiotics are given to combat any secondary bacterial infections but will not kill the mites themselves. It will take several weeks for the mites to be eliminated and for the hair to start growing back.
    Make sure he does NOT GET ANY VACCINES until the Demodex is cleared! The vaccines can "overload" their immune systems, which is what caused the Demodex in the first place. Since he shouldn't get any vaccines until the mites are gone, make sure he is not exposed to parvovirus, distemper etc until he can get his full vaccines done.

GotPugs is offline Village Senator

Demodex is quit common. Do all you can to "boost" the immune system. Also make sure your feeding a high quality food as well.

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

It should grow back. Give it some time.

The only place he doesn't have hair is around his lower abd and inner thighs.

Thanks for all the feedback :)

He already got his vaccine while he had demodex cuz of the idiot vet and his assistant! I hate them!!!
    We r doing everything we can to keep him healthy and happy while he goes through all this..the wounds have dried up and the crust is falling off, but he still wants to itch but he has the cone on. He is looking better little by little thank god!
    My thoughts r with everyone who has a dog going through this
    “The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.”
    ― Samuel Butler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast