My pug puppy ate a grape! Help!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: My pug puppy ate a grape! Help!

Nelson is offline New to the Village

Default My pug puppy ate a grape! Help!

Hi, first off. My name is Lauren, and my sweet baby boy is Nelson. I'm excited to be a part of this forum!.

Unfortunately my first post is not a pleasant one...I was eating a fruit salad today, and I dropped a grape on the floor. Nelson immediately grabbed it. I chased him all around, but the little guy was so excited and quickly escaped my attempts to grab him, and he ate the grape :(....I know grapes and raisins are toxic to all dogs and can cause kidney failure. Will Nelson be alright from just 1 (relatively small) green grape? I am so anxious that I am a bad doggy Mama. I love him so very much and it makes me sick to think I may have hurt him.

(This happened about an hour ago...he seems normal so far)

Thanks guys! I hope everyone is having a happy memorial day weekend!

Lauren & Nelson

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

A single grape should not cause a problem. If Nelson is a very small puppy, maybe, but not normally.

It is a little late to induce vomiting. And besides, I wouldn't induce vomiting for a single grape.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

Raisins are worse because they are dehydrated. Takes about 7 grapes to be potentially toxic. Your little one should be just fine. Monitor him for 24 hours, try not to worry yourself to death, and holler at the Vet if he seems off ;)
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Nelson is offline New to the Village

Thank you both so much! I was really worried about him, (I still am), but he seems to be totally fine. He's being his usual adorable little self. We are going to be extra careful with grapes and raisins in this house from now on!

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! Hope he's fine with no ill effects! They're so fast it's amazing!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Please don't ever feel like you're a bad puggy mommy when your little adorable Pug gets into something they shouldn't--that is their #1 fun in life! We try really hard to keep our home puggy-safe, but Rugby delights in finding things she shouldn't have, & she will go & pick leaves off my houseplants, & come sit very defiantly right in front of me, hoping that I'll "trade!" (Usually works, too!). With other things that she considers "high value" (like Kleenex!)--if she gets ahold of it, we might as well let her have it, because she runs & lays under a chair to eat it & she'd rather choke on it than give it up. Most of the things (so far!) have managed to pass harmlessly out the other end. Like the tiny plastic light bulb off her Christmas Reindeer Antlers! If your Pug is anything like Rugby, she will give you plenty of opportunities to wonder "how the heck did I let her get hold of THAT??!! When she was just a little puppy, I had her out on her leash on the lawn & she saw a mushroom & that was it, it was gone! I brought her in the house immediately & called the Poison Control Center, (the regular human one--not the one for pets that you have to pay for) & the lady there was so nice, & told me how much hydrogen peroxide to give Rugby to make her vomit. I said "but how can I get her to drink it?" She said to just put some chicken broth with it. So I did that, & then barely got Rugby back outside before she started throwing up. So I could see the mushroom & she turned out to be fine. Then the nice Poison Control lady called back to see how Rugby was! Another time, she got into the Easter chocolates that my dear sister-in-law had bought & left up on a bed...the list could go on & on! We try to be especially careful not to take our vitamins or prescriptions around Rugby, because if anything gets dropped, she is already RIGHT THERE, just waiting like a little alligator to catch it before it hits the ground! You can only do your best, & keep in mind that Pugs are very food oriented, & love an occasional bit of mischief--it's just like baby proofing a house!

Did we mention that we LOVE pictures!!!?
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

If your puppy picks up something she shouldn't, don't chase her. If you can, try to grab something that is a suitable treat and persuade her that it is better than whatever she has in her mouth. She should drop what she has in order to take the better treat. If it isn't in fact a particularly good treat you may need to pretend it is super by perhaps pretending to eat some of it yourself and getting really enthusiastic. Or find a toy or anything pug safe and make a huge enthusiastic fuss over it. Yes, you will look like an idiot but it is amazing how you can grab a pup's attention with a bit of ham acting.

Clearly if she has something really, really dangerous you just have to try to grab it out but most of the time that ends in failure as it makes them even more keen to eat what they have. They think it must be a wonderful treat because you are so keen to take it away from them.
    Hellas, jaodo and emilina like this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Pug Mom Claire is offline Village Admiral

As everyone here probably knows by now, Pugs are notorious for eating anything and everything. Louie, as a puppy, once ate part of my kitchen drywall, and later part of a plug-in air freshener. I patched the drywall, and never used plug-in fresheners again. He did have the freshest piney breath for awhile !
    Rugbysmom and Nina_W like this.

rlgoo is offline Village Puppy

Default so i know its been a while on this thread

but i have a raisin question. this morning, my mother needed help with the dishes so i dropped my bag that had trail mix in it (for my lunch) in it...it couldnt have been for more than 5 minutes but my pug (Aldous) was not laying in the family room with my other two big dogs. i immediately went to the room where i dropped my bag and low and behold he was in there with my bag of trail mix. he had bitten a hole and spit out the plastic. dunno if he actually ate any raisins or not (there was no chocolate in it, just raisins and cashews), but i was freaking out. my mom gave him two teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide and he didnt throw up so she gave him one more dose and still nothing. he is just running around like normal and it has been about 2.5 hours since now... should i be concerned? will the hydrogen peroxide cause him damage?! i dont even know if he ate the raisins just that he was hovering like the little ball of deviousness that he is...

im pretty worried. when he was little (3 months old maybe.. now he is almost 2) i dropped a few grapes and he ate those and he wouldnt eat for a day or two but never threw up and kept peeing and stuff like he normally does...

so should i take him to the vet or just watch him and see what happens? i feel like the hydrogen peroxide could just make it worse since he didnt throw up the HP... help?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast