Anal Glands (Once Again). Very frustrated, ready to go crazy!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CountryPug
  • 1 Post By Tinker's mom

Thread: Anal Glands (Once Again). Very frustrated, ready to go crazy!

katzintheclouds is offline Village Puppy

Default Anal Glands (Once Again). Very frustrated, ready to go crazy!

Hey guys.

I've been gone for a little bit but I am back to ask some very serious advice about my pug. The anal gland issue has gotten worse and worse with him. I posted a little while ago about having to deal with frequent expression that he does around the house. When he relaxes, they express. They've done this on my furniture, on me, on my labrador. I know it's happening when he suddenly turns around and begins licking where they expressed. I don't want to be mad at him, I know it's not his fault & I know he feels bad about it but it's just getting to be too much. I work at a vets & know how to express them but even doing it every week has made no progress. I expressed them & just two days later, they expressed themselves on the couch. I talked with my own vet who works at the hospital I work at & she said if she were me, she would have them removed. I mentioned the problems I've heard from others about fecal incontinence after the surgery, but she swears that no one has ever had that that she has done the surgery with.

I have to admit, that at this point I'm seriously thinking about it. I hate the idea of putting him through it but honestly, there's more here than just annoyance of him letting go all over my house. I hate the idea of them getting to where they don't express or they rupture, or some other awful possible thing. I also think about when we go away on vacations & he's at the hospital or being cared for by a neighbor or friend. What if while we're gone they fill & he doesn't express them. I have to think about all this.

I want some honest opinions. Have any of you guys had this done? What have your experiences been? Have they been good?

Please let me know. I'm so desperate for answers.

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

I have no personal experience with this surgery, but I think there may be a few here that have. Is he on a good quality dog food, have you tried adding pumpkin or pure psylium husk? The surgery would be my last resort because of the risk of incontinence. I think some vets are more experienced with this procedure and may have better outcomes with it....hope that's the case with the vet you work for.
    Lola's Mum likes this.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

The freeze dried raw diet fixed Tinker's problems with the glands,you might want to switch foods and or add pumpkin or psylium before the surgery.
    Mom to Lucy likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

lisamak is offline Village Merchant

Another suggestion - Pet Naturals of Vermont makes a new product called "scoot bars" that specifically address anal gland issues. You can get them online at a number of pet supply shops. I've recommended them to a couple of customers and response has been good. Not sure how old your pug is? Norman would 'accidentally express' when really happy/excited/relaxed when he was younger but has outgrown it. If he's really young I'd be worried about the long term effects of the surgery and propensity towards incontinence, if he's 10 its one thing...if he's 2 not so sure, its kinda of like getting lasix but in a couple years you're just gonna need a different kind of glasses. Hope that makes sense :)

Lisa, Vince, Norman and Doug-Doug - the baking boyz from My Dog Ate It!

Find us on Facebook!

Follow Norman and the gang on Twitter!

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Pumpkin and pure psyllium husks!

Don't remove!!! My sister did both her dogs...one was fine...the other had problems the rest of her life!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

pumpkin does wanders for it
    and dogs love it besides
    all my dogs get pumpkin as part of their regular diet everyday
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Like the others, I would strongly recommend a raw diet and pumpkin/psyllium husks before considering surgery.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

+ Reply to Thread