Spay Help!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spay Help!

Chanel is offline New to the Village

Default Spay Help!

Hello. I am a first time mommy so I really am in the dark when it comes to knowing what is normal after a spay. Chanel went under the knife (well laser actually) on December 18th. Although it was hard, I kept her relatively quiet for almost the entire ten days. I thought after that time we were in the clear because the site was looking good. Then, this past Monday, I noticed that the end of the suture site closest to her belly button was looking red. Since Tuesday was New Years, I promptly took her to the vet on Wednesday, where they looked at it and said it was scar tissue. Then, on Thursday, the redness had not yet cleared and it actually began to look more like a boil or something and began to ooze fluid. So Friday morning, I again took her to the vet and they said that it could possibly be due to the internal, dissolvable stitches irritating her. Now (and it was there when we took her to the vet as well) there is a hard, semi-large, bump under and off to the side of the suture site. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar to this. It doesn't hurt her when we touch it and she is acting completely normal (her crazy pug self!).

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! Tinker had a small hard lump in her incision for several weeks after her spay, the vet said it wasn't a problem and would go away and it did. Hopefully yours will be the same. Glad to have you aboard.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Isis had that...she was allergic to the internal stitches and her body fought them off. Some actually surfaced a month later! She was put on antibiotics and I soaked the infection and she was fine!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the replies and the welcomes! You guys are great to respond so quickly! I don't want to seem like that crazy pet owner and keep taking her in even though they have told me that everything looks okay, twice! But I don't want further complications down the road either. Should I just keep an eye on her? At what point would I know if she needs to be on antibiotics?

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

If the incision is red, warm to touch, draining, she's get's lethargic I would take her back in. You're not acting anyway but the way you should. Trust your gut about this too, if you think something is wrong, take her back. I bet if you ask your vet they would prefer you pay too much attention than ignore and have something serious be going on they had to address. You're doing a good job!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Thank you so much. I think Ill continue to keep an eye on it until Monday and if it has changed or worsened I will take her in again. It helps a lot to hear that I am not just being over nervous

Kat
    Kat is offline Village Governor

Happened to my girl too. And a suture actually started coming out of her through the bump she had. I just let her body run its course, and she was fine. I kept a really close eye on it though.

+ Reply to Thread