New pug momma... Need help with shots schedule
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CountryPug

Thread: New pug momma... Need help with shots schedule

PapayaThePug is offline Village Mayor

Default New pug momma... Need help with shots schedule

Hello!
    I'm a very happy new pug momma :) My furchild name is Papaya, he will be 12 weeks on Saturday. He just got his second set of shots last Friday, he did well, no reactions at all. The vet told me I should take him in 2 weeks for his rabies shot, we live in Arizona and all dogs must have the rabies shots at three months. However, I would rather wait until all the other shots are done. I've read many post about this issue, I know the vet will understand my hesitation. My only concern is... Can I take him outside on walks after his sets of shots are done? I want to wait until he is 6 months to get the rabies shot, so I don't know.I feel bad about keeping him at home all day, he is so energetic. We have a lot of wildlife outside and many other dogs so that worries me. Should I wait to take him outside until his last set of shots AND rabies are done? Should I give him the rabies shot earlier? Please I need help! I don't want to do something that might make my baby sick.

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

Personally I would try to hold out as long as I could with the rabies shot. I think the other one is more important right now. You should wait three to four weeks between shots and his last one should be at 16 weeks. It takes a little while for the antibodies to kick in so I would cautiously start taking him out after his last shot at 16 wks. Unless your pug is going to be hunting, I think it's okay to take him out before getting his rabies.
    cellophane likes this.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

mieu is offline Village Senator

Scootaloo was born on 1/30/13, we took her home on 3/24 which was about 7.5 weeks, so she already had a Parvo shot and her first DAP shot. Our vaccine schedule since has looked like this:

4/15 - DAP #2 (11 weeks)
    5/13 - DAP #3 & Rabies (15 weeks)
    6/8 - Lyme #1 (18.5 weeks)
    Few weeks later, Lyme#2

The vet said to wait on the Rabies till around 16 weeks, I wanted to get it done because all of the dog parks in our area have a hard rule that dogs must be at least 4 months old and licensed, and the rabies vacc is required for that. Thankfully she had no bad reactions, I made sure to do it on a day that my husband was off from work to make sure. Our friends have a Bug who had a reaction to the rabies vaccine, but he ended up just fine.

I took her out to piddle in our yard as soon as we first got her (thankfully she's the kind of dog that does her business within 30 seconds of hitting the grass, and wants right back in after her treat), but didn't start taking her for short walks until her third DAP shot.

I live in an area that has among the highest incidence of Lyme disease, so I felt it was worthwhile to avoid a lifelong illness.
    Last edited by mieu; 05-30-2013 at 06:37 PM.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Scootaloo's Page!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is online now True Village Royalty

NO...... I agree with you...I wait!

I do puppy shots: 8, 12, and 16wks. I wouldn't take him for walks til he has that 3rd shot....He can go outside in your area. I would take him to the pet store, but not let him walk around there either til he's done with those shots. Those are the ones that you worry about when walking.

The rabies shots are in case they come in contact with a rabid animal. I would wait at least 3 weeks between shots...unless it's a series of 2 like lyme or kennel cough if you do those.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

PapayaThePug is offline Village Mayor

Thanks so much for all your help :) I really appreciate it! We are going to wait until Papaya is 6 months to give him the rabies shot, I hope the vet doesn't report me. I'll explain my concerns again, hopefully that will be enough. He'll get his last set of shots in 3 weeks and after that I'll wait 2 weeks to take him outside. He'll be so happy! Thanks so much again! :)

mieu is offline Village Senator

The 3-month requirement is SO young, I can't believe it. You can barely bring a 3-month old puppy outside let alone in an area where it could catch and transmit disease. Here we aren't required to license until 6 months!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Scootaloo's Page!

+ Reply to Thread