Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mieu
  • 2 Post By Frodos mom
  • 1 Post By cellophane

Thread: Bacon is always runny at dog parks

rachyrachyrach is offline New to the Village

Default Bacon is always runny at dog parks

Good evening!

I have a 8 year old pug named Bacon. My husband & I have had him for 2 years from a local rescue. When it's cool out, I like to take him to a dog park to get some exercise and be around other dogs. The only problem, he has diarrhea! ...a lot! This only happens at dog parks so I'm thinking he is nervous. What's funny, he's very content sitting on my lap at the park. Actually he will help himself to any stranger's lap too! However when he's roaming around, he will sniff around and make his mess. Then roam around some more. He is not aggressive when he's around dogs but I have to admit he would rather be sitting on a human. Which is an embarrassing problem because my husband & I are chasing him around the park with a wet wipe to make sure he won't leave any gross streaks on strangers.

Any other time we take him out for potty breaks, he's solid (sorry to get graphic lol!). I guess this isn't really a pug issue, more of a socializing problem. I'm wondering if I'm pushing too hard to force him around other dogs? Anyways wonderful forum!

Image of Bacon at a dog park and my husband holding onto his pug handle aka tail:

mieu is offline Village Senator

I just tried a product that was recommended by a PVer it's called 'Diggin Your Dog Firm Up.' It's basically a bag of dehydrated pumpkin and apple fiber. Scootaloo had pudding poo for a week and after 24 hours this stuff started working--only a couple tsp in her food with water. It makes her poop orange, and they're not 100% firm just yet, but at least they're able to be picked up! She has a gut flora imbalance because of 3 weeks on antibiotics, so this stuff may help for Bacon! If you think it's mostly anxiety you might want to try something like Rescue Remedy.

Bacon is fully grown and will be capable of telling another dog when he's REALLY not interested. There was a dog at the park yesterday who was extremely shy and scared and just wanted to watch from afar, but it was clear he was happy to see the other dogs playing. He'd sometimes draw close or jump after them as they ran by, then would slink back to his owner. I think that bringing him to the park is doing more good than harm from a socialization standpoint as long as he is able to retreat when he wants to and isn't being bullied.
    Last edited by mieu; 06-16-2013 at 05:48 AM.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Scootaloo's Page!

Frodos mom is offline Village Admiral

I joined a dog park for 1 year it cost me 75.00.The only thing Frodo did was sit near me or under my legs!!!Really Frodo I said to him! He is more content to go for walks.My sister joined with me. Her dogs ran to the gait and barked to go out.We laugh about it now.My sister calls Frodo a nerd because he is a mommas boy.Gosh I love that dog.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and CSollers like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

cellophane is offline Village Governor

Does he get brisk exercise (long walks) on a regular basis? If he is just in the house and goes out for only short breaks, his digestive system won't be "used to" the extra activity of going to the dog park. Remember, exercise stimulates a dogs digestive system to "go". Also, he could just be excited as well as nervous, which increases the "going".
    CSollers likes this.

rachyrachyrach is offline New to the Village

Opps! Sorry I didn't reply sooner! For some reason I only got one notification that someone replied.

I think cellophane is right. He only gets short breaks, especially in the summer because I don't want him to overheat.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Nepags is offline Village Mayor

My black pug Olive wouldn't go near other dogs at the Dog Park. She only wanted my lap. So much for trying to socialize her! I finally gave up and just take her or walks -weather permitting.

+ Reply to Thread