Severe allergy situation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Severe allergy situation

KellyTN80 is offline New to the Village

Unhappy Severe allergy situation

I have been severely allergic to dogs for the last 12 years and in the last year I have been getting allergy shots twice weekly to eventually build up my immunity to them. My boyfriend has a pug, and they moved in 2 mths ago and I have been 100% fine allergy wise. Well, the last 3 weeks my body has been rejecting my shots due to the high dosages combined with a dog being in the house 24/7. My arms are swelling twice their size and hurt so bad it feels like my skin is ripping open. I have stopped the shots because of the pain, but the allergies are coming back. My allergies, without any shot in my system, will eventually get to emergency room status. We tried cutting back the dosage in the shots but that did not work either. My boyfriend and I are at a loss. We have no idea what to do. I can continue to get the shots, but be in pain up to 6 days a week until the swelling goes away (keep in mind when they are swollen, I cannot lay in bed, cannot wear a shirt with sleeves touching me, cannot lay my arms at my sides etc), but that's not feasible. He has had the dog 6 years and will not budge on making it an outdoor dog, or rehoming it with a family member. We do not want to break up because we fully intend on spending our lives together. We just need some ideas!

Kagknits is offline Village Governor

Have you tried taking Zyrtec? That's supposed to be good for pet allergies.
    Karen

Owned by Smushyface and Sammie

KellyTN80 is offline New to the Village

Yeah, I have been on Benadryl, Zyrtec, Clariten, and the RX versions of the last 2, along with non-drowsy, but they all knock me out for like 8 hours at a time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

AmberB is offline Village Admiral

Sorry ...that sounds awful. I have no advice on the allergy situation but just wanted to say that, unfortunately for your allergies, your boyfriend is right about not making the dog an outside dog. Pugs cannot be outside dogs since they suck at regulating their temperatures. Also, they are specifically bred for companionship so leaving them alone outside makes them very unhappy. Rehoming would be the better option although I couldn't imagine ever being able to give up my babies. Its a lousy situation. 8 (

In the meantime, maybe keep the bedroom a pug-free room so at least you have one "allergy safe-room".

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

I'm sorry you're going through this and I'm not sure what you can do to solve your problem, but I side with the BF on one point. Pugs should never be made to live outdoors. They are heat and cold intolerant and are bred to be companion/lap dogs. They have to live with their people otherwise you shouldn't have one.
    Good luck with everything!
    shaynapug likes this.
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana**

Kagknits is offline Village Governor

Sorry I don't have any more ideas or advice for you except to say that pugs are not meant to be outside dogs. They are bred to be companion dogs and would be very unhappy if left alone outside all the time. Good luck!
    Karen

Owned by Smushyface and Sammie

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

Kat
    Kat is offline Village Governor

Oh no that is unfortunate! Like others have said, pugs can not be outdoor dogs, they are very sensitive to heat and cold, and they need to be with their people. I don't have any advice, but I hope you two can figure something out that is fair for the pug and for you two.

cellophane is offline Village Governor

1) Do not allow the dog into the bedroom, ever. Since your problem is SO severe, you might have to limit other the rooms he is allowed in. It also depends on if you have carpet or not. Pugs are social dogs, but this seems like a life-and-death situation.
    2) Buy HEPA air filtration systems - I use and highly recommend the Winex Pet air filter, but there are cheaper models that will also do the job. You want the really good one, like the Winex, for the bedroom, and can get by with cheaper ones for the rest of the house.
    3) Have your boyfriend, or someone else, wash the dog at least weekly, with a special allergy reducing shampoo. Because daily bathing may dry out the coat, you could try rinsing the dog with warm clear water every single day to rinse off allergens/fur.
    4) Have your boyfriend use a Kong Zoom Groom rubber brush, and/or a Furminator brush, weekly or more, to remove loose fur from the coat, if you are allergic to dog fur. Make sure he does this outside, away from the house, or in the bathtub.
    5) Make sure you have a good HEPA vacuum, and your bf/other person (not you, and make sure you are away from the house when they do it) vacuums several a week. Even daily. Actually, just getting rid of the carpet if you can will help.
    6) Maybe try fish oils for the dog, so their coat is more supple, and will help reduce dander shed in the house and fur shed, which would make allergies worse? Dose would be 1 to 2 high-quality fish oil capsule per day, work up to it slowly to prevent diarrhea. Are you allergic to any of the ingredients in the dog's food? It might be putting you "over the top" if you are exposed to the allergens in his food as well.
    7) The most important: I have never tried it, but I heard sublingual allergen therapy, instead of shots, is highly effective. Not many allergists do this, however. Might be life-changing if it works.
    8) Definitely make an emergency appt with your allergist - I am concerned that your reaction to the shots might get worse and worse to a life-threatening point.
    9) What kind of allergies do you have? Can you take something like Singulair, which works in a different way than antihistamines?
    10) I know many people who have to wear nitrile GLOVES whenever they pet their own dog, otherwise they get hives. They also carry around several pairs in their purse to use whenever they have to touch the dog. At the very least, wash hands thoroughly every single time you touch the dog, otherwise you are spreading the microscopic allergens around your body/face/etc. Sounds drastic but this calls for drastic measures. Works for the people I know.

shaynapug is online now True Village Royalty

I cannot imagine....

It's unfortunate!!! You've been given great advice. You bf might have to make some hard decisions.......He will be in my thoughts!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast