Possible Salivary Mucocele
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Possible Salivary Mucocele

AMC7181 is offline Village Governor

Default Possible Salivary Mucocele

We were just about to go out the door for work this morning when my husband noticed that the right side of Peyton's face, near his jaw, looked very puffy. I gave him a Benadryl and off to the emergency vet we went.

They triaged him and took him right to the back in case he was having an allergic reaction that could cause breathing issues. They gave him some more Benadryl, too. He was back there for about 90 minutes and then the doctor came to see me.

She thinks it's an inflamed salivary gland - salivary mucocele. They did a needle biopsy and that's what seems most likely. She said that unfortunately the puffiness doesn't normally just go away; typically surgery is needed. They also ran blood work to make sure nothing else was going on. His white blood cell count is up, so we're on an antibiotic and hoping that it turns out to be just an infection instead of something requiring surgery.

We are to schedule a surgery consultation; usually it takes 2 weeks to get an appointment for something that's not urgent, so we'll be scheduling that now. He is going to be on the antibiotic to see if it helps at all; if it does, then we'll cancel the surgery consultation.

Has anyone dealt with this before? The vet said the surgery is delicate since there is so much going on in that area - lymph nodes, trachea, blood vessels, etc. - and even more delicate since everything is all smushed up in a Pug. It's very strange; he was fine last night, and nothing out of the ordinary happened. Any advice/experiences/information would be appreciated!!!
    Last edited by AMC7181; 07-22-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

No advice, just lots of well wishes!
    AMC7181 likes this.
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

No advice here, either, but I'm sure others will be along soon who may have some experience with that. Just wanted to add my hopes & prayers that Peyton will be fine! Please keep us posted!
    AMC7181 likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Sending positive vibes and best wishes for Peyton.
    AMC7181 likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug and Noodles the Frenchie
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Suri is online now Village Secret Super-Star

How is Peyton today? Has the swelling gone down at all? Sending good thoughts.
    AMC7181 likes this.
    Susan, mom to Desi, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy,Bo, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Seeing no surgery needed!
    AMC7181 likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Thanks for all the well wishes! Peyton's "turkey neck" is definitely smaller than it was on Monday. I can still feel some swelling right near his jaw line, where the salivary glands are.

We talked with the surgery department today and are now scheduled for a consultation on 8/8. We'll know then whether surgery will be needed.

I want to thank Murphy's mom, lihuesue, for providing a wealth of excellent information. Between her posts on Murphy's salivary mucocele surgery and the additional information she shared with me, I feel much more prepared for what may be to come. Thanks again!!!

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

I'm so glad you got the information you needed. It's important to be able to ask the right questions and know a bit about medications, etc so you can also help in deciding the best choice of treatment. I hope all goes will with the consult on August 8.
    AMC7181 likes this.

glebou is offline Village Royalty

Moe had this condition three times in very close succession. Antibiotics helped initially, but it came back twice. A strange spot - a stone or tumor - was detected on an x-ray. Recommendation was made that Moe's salivary gland be removed. Yes, it is very delicate and precise surgery. Because of his age and other health conditions, I evaluated his quality of life and decided to put him down. It was one of the hardest things I ever did. I just couldn't put the poor boy through one more thing. He was just barely 12 years old. I had hoped he would live to be 16.
    AMC7181 likes this.
    Gaye

Mom to Thomcat A. Becket (Archbishop of Caterbury), the Siamese cat, (and Edgar Allen Pug, Priscilla Ann Pug, Kewpie Doll Boudreaux, Moe Jackson Pug, RooBen Lancaster Pug, Anya Pavlina Pug, Jabaar Jefferson Pug, Gertie Rose Griffon, Pace the Poochie, Millicent, Dylan Thomcat, Snafu DeLaRue and Aubrey Augustus, waiting for me at the Bridge)

Gaye, thanks for the information about little Moe. I'm so sorry that he had such troubles and that you had to lose him so young.

It's good to know that even if the antibiotics seem to be helping now, something else may still be going on. We are planning to keep the consultation appointment with the surgeon even though Peyton's swelling seems to be improved. Peyton is 7, going on 8, and we're fortunate that he doesn't have any other health issues, so if the surgery is called for that's what we're planning to do.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share Moe's experience; thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast