Rescue Pug -- No Curl in his Tail
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Rescue Pug -- No Curl in his Tail

Linkyy is offline New to the Village

Default Rescue Pug -- No Curl in his Tail

Hello,

I'm in the process of adopting a rescue pug from my local humane society. He came in as a lost dog, and I noticed his tail isn't the normal little cinnamon bun curled up on his rump. It's extended out with a slight curl on the end. They said he's been vet evaluated and everything, so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why his tail is like this?

Thanks!

lihuesue is offline Village Senator

Thank You for saving this puggies life! Could be from of all of the stress at the shelter. How long has he been at the shelter? Or maybe he hurt himself at the shelter, pulled a muscle or something like that.

I'd have him checked out asap by a vet, bring him home and give him time to settle in... could take a while, but I think once he feels safe again, that curl will be back!

My Murphy came from our local shelter and his coat was flaking and his tail wasn't fully curled... Once he got feeling secure, starting trusting us and getting some good food on a regular basis, his coat is beautiful and he's got a beautiful curl!

Murphy was like a maniac when we brought him home. He wanted to mark on everything and was just everywhere... he just could not relax. He was put in the x-pen for a couple of hours so he could calm down and get used to his new home. The other doggies were able to come up and sniff. We started by sitting down on the floor with him and had some treats. We were told Murphy was 5 years old when we got him this past Apr. 15th. He now has free run of the house and gets along with my other two Pugs and Rat Terrier. He loves everyone and plays with them all. There's something special about a shelter dog... Murphy is thankful for everything he now has... He didn't even know what a food bowl was... or what to do with toys... He is so much like a puppy because there's so many new things he's never experienced.

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

I agree, once he feels comfortable the tail will curl back up......he's apprehensive, not sure of what's going on, lots of changes......
    once the little guy feels secure, you'll see! The same thing happened with Paddy, the senior that my mom adopted. We didn't think his tail COULD curl when we first met him, but sure enough......it did. That's how you will know when he is happy!

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

When we first got Sienna, it was "tail down" for a few days. When she got to know her surroundings and that we were going to love the heck out of her no matter what, her tail curled like normal.

It wouldn't hurt to have him checked out by a vet, anyways. You want to know everything up ahead so you can nip any problems in the bud and he will be better off for it.

Thank you for rescueing this little boy and saving a life! You have the fantastic opportunity to give this little guy love, confidence and a great life...something he may have never had before. It is great to see them develop under your love and care into a confident loving pug.
    Sienna's Pictures and Bio - http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1302954 I love you, baby girl!

Help Lisa (6 Beautiful Pugs) and the senior pugs at the "Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch" through their Amazon Wish List http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi.../104M0QBM5XSWW

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

I agree with what is stated above , but there are rare cases when a Pug's tail just doesn't curl. Ray, my old guy's tail goes straight out then kinks to the left. Thank you for rescuing!!!!!!
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

cshecks is offline Village Puppy

It's unlikely but he/she could also be in some kind of pain - pugs are well known hide it and show virtually no sign of pain unless in absolute agony, and even then........I have recent experience with this. Just keep a close eye on the pug, I'm sure it's likely just a security/unfamiliar surroundings issue.

Linkyy is offline New to the Village

Thank you for all of your advice!
    I was thinking it was just stress from being in the shelter too, but I will definitely take him to the vet asap, I believe the first vet visit is either discounted or free, I'm not sure.

He is also 5 years old according to the humane society, and I was wondering if it was difficult at all housebreaking your rescue pug around the same age? And how you did it.
    I was also wondering what kind of food do you feed your pugs?

Thanks again!

Also, here's his picture on their website if you wanted to see him :)
    Lincoln Dog & Puppy Adoption

maryluvspugs is offline Village VP

awwww...adorable! Congratulations on your new family member and thanks for giving him a loving forever home!
    Mary

Charlie Brown - 14, Olivia & Emmett the Pugs 3

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
    -Roger Caras

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

He is adorable! Thank you so much for adopting him and changing his world. I'm like the rest, I think after he feels at home and safe his little tail will curl again. If you decide to rename him, don't hesitate to pick out something you like to go with his new life. They actually adjust very well to a new name as long as it's used frequently in a positive and happy voice. Not that Mr. Mug isn't a cute name, I'm just saying it works out fine if you decide on naming him something else. Keep us posted. We would love to see pictures of him once he is happily established in his new home.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Thanks for saving him, he is a handsome guy! I agree with the rest, give him time and love.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast