Is this normal? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is this normal?

cellophane is offline Village Governor

My 2 have a roached back. It is a fault in pugs to be shown. I suspect it comes from poor breeding, as my 2 came from a puppy mill and didn't get good nutrition/genetics. You can't do anything about it, except to keep them trim and slim, as you should for any pug. Doesn't cause a problem in my 2!
    CSollers likes this.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

No advice here, just wanted to say what a pretty girl she is!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Talos had it in a milder form as a younger pup, as she's grown her back has straightened out. It may yet change with time.

People who know about dog conformation have indicated that a roached back has more to do with short upper fore and hind legs, and that having proportionally short upper limbs makes for a less powerful jumping/running candidate. Pressing these dogs into sports that involve jumping and running should be done only with conditioning exercises to specially strengthen these parts of their bodies, but it may be best to not use these dogs for these spots, as it makes them extra vulnerable for joint/ligament damage and arthritis later in life.

If you're interested, follow along here and check out your pug's conformation:
    Official Pit Bull Site of Diane Jessup

Just remember, a pug will never be a working put bull, so don't feel like this is some moral evaluation. Rather a way to get some idea of how your pug is built, and what this may mean for dog sports (and or potential problems later in life).

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Napoleon_NZ is offline New to the Village

Please don't take this the wrong way. Is Gina a purebred Pug? She looks to have some other breed in her, too, judging by the shape of her face. The back arch looks very similar to a Greyhound.

Estrella_Luna is offline Village Admiral

She looks all pug to me and a cute one at that! Phoebe has a roached back as well. As she is getting older (she is around 7 1/2 yrs now) she is walking a bit stiff and we had x rays done. Some of her vertebrae have the extra nubs on them that are starting to fuse together and create a little bridge. The vet said it isn't too bad right now but we will monitor it. However, I don't think that is what has caused her back to be roached. It is just a seperate condition. I'm sure Gina is just fine :) She has plenty of growing to do yet !

Star ~ Mom to Phoebe the Pug and the feisty felines, Garbo & Jubei
    "Owning a dog is slightly less expensive than being addicted to crack.
    ― Jen Lancaster

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

She is cute! May be a result of poorer breeding or have something else in her.

The roach back is not supposed to be in a pug. It does happen. I would have the vet xray...to make sure that all is okay. Has she always looked like that or did it recently appear. If it's recent, might be able to do chiropractic on her. As long as she's not in pain....I wouldn't worry too much. You just want to know IF it's anything that be helped with supplements, chiropractic, or even massage by you!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Ronnirose is offline Village Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon_NZ View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way. Is Gina a purebred Pug? She looks to have some other breed in her, too, judging by the shape of her face. The back arch looks very similar to a Greyhound.
    I didn't ask about her breed. To me she is a pug. I asked if they was anything I could do. I have recently found out she is fine and not to worry as she needs to grow out more. (order from the vets).
    shaynapug and Loconn55 like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12