what do you do to take care of your pugs teeth and/or breath?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tinker's mom

Thread: what do you do to take care of your pugs teeth and/or breath?

happypugz is offline Village Puppy

Question what do you do to take care of your pugs teeth and/or breath?

i notice there are many products and treats for teeth and breath? the treats i have been making have parsley in them and thats supposed to help their breath but i am also concerned with their teeth. ive tried brushing but they hate that... even though i bought liver flavor toothpaste. :( any advice. thank you!
    Pugs are like Pringles; you can't have just one!
    Yoshi~ August 23, 2002-February 28, 2014
    Penny dob April 24, 2004

Pug Auntie is offline Village Admiral

After a recent dental our vet wants us to use CET aqua dent. You add it to their drinking water. They didn't like it in the beginning but will drink it now with no problem. I don't know if it's working or not yet because I just started in May. I don't like using it though because of the food dye in it. I think brushing is the best thing to do if they will let you. I've started to try brushing again and I'm getting there a little at a time. But, they still run from me when they think I'm going to brush teeth.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I give Tinker raw beef bones occasionally and she chews her Nylabone every day and she hasn't needed a dental yet ( she's 7yrs).
    CSollers likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

mieu is offline Village Senator

My breeder recommended a brand called Ark Naturals, they make a tablet that you add to water and makes it fizzy--supposedly helps with plaque-busting

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Scootaloo's Page!

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

I second the raw marrow bones. Chewing in the bones scrapes tartar and plaque off of their teeth and the connective tissue (gristle) acts like floss to clean between their teeth. Ray's teeth were in pretty bad shape when we adopted him and are looking good now.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

Kat
    Kat is offline Village Governor

Ruby got a dental 5 months ago. Her teeth weren't awful,she is raw fed, but the way her jaw was set up some teeth didnt get the benefits of raw meaty bones. Since her dental I brush her teeth every other day, and I use a baby toothbrush and coconut oil. I don't like the ingredients in pet toothpastes, and Ruby absolutely loves coconut oil. And actually gets excited when she sees the toothbrush. Oscars jaw set up is good, and his teeth are pearly white at 1 year old, I don't need to brush his teeth because the raw meaty bones get the job done.

What's nice about coconut oil too is it is antibacterial, antiviral, and anti microbial. I swish coconut oil in my mouth before brushing my teeth, it helps to pull out toxins.

happypugz is offline Village Puppy

Great ideas :) I will ask my vet about the aqua dent too.
    Thank you!
    Pugs are like Pringles; you can't have just one!
    Yoshi~ August 23, 2002-February 28, 2014
    Penny dob April 24, 2004

pickles2001 is offline Village Governor

I was wondering the same thing! My vet said that Stewie's going to have to have his teeth cleaned eventually. This makes me nervous, since I know it can be risky to anesthetize pugs. (Not to mention how pricey dental cleanings are!)
    Beth, mom to Stewie (as well as kitties Moe and Georgie)

groverthepug is offline Village Admiral

Last edited by groverthepug; 07-26-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

I agree that raw bones are probably your best bet, but a good ol' brushing with some pet toothpaste is not a bad second :) Even better if you do both!

+ Reply to Thread