About to buy a pug - What should be guaranteed?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By mieu

Thread: About to buy a pug - What should be guaranteed?

jesslovespugs is offline New to the Village

Default About to buy a pug - What should be guaranteed?

Hello pug lovers!

I am speaking with a breeder right now about possibly buying her pug.

She seems reputable. She mostly shows her dogs and rarely sells them as companions.

She is willing to sell one right now because he has simply grown too large for the ring. I've seen pics of him and he is beautiful and he does look fully grown at 12 months of age.

My question is that she sent over the contract to buy him and the health guarantee seems lacking. She protects against life-threatening genetic disease until 12 months of life, but by the time I get him he will be just turning 12 months.

She is also stipulating that she will not cover any issues related to Brachycephalic Syndrome and Pigmentary Keratitis.

Is this typical of a pug contract? If her vet reports on the pug, which I am expecting soon, show that he is in good health and clear of any disease AND if she can furnish the health history report and genetics of his parents, should I be good to go and continue on with the purchase? I must add that we are connected now through Facebook and she posts regular pictures of her pugs and they all look well socialized (with people, other pugs) and well taken care of. I see that her being that transparent as a good thing. She is also very active on her profile and is friends with many other pug breeders, showers and it seems like people who have bought puppies from her in the past.

I'd appreciate your guys' thoughts. Thank you and happy Friday!!

mieu is offline Village Senator

I don't think there are any breeders who guarantee against that. A brachycephalic dog will have brachycephalic airway syndrome, that's unavoidable. Some dogs have it worse than others and need surgery, but there is no genetic testing for 'how bad' a dog has it. The only way a vet could 'report' how bad the airway is is to put the dog under anesthesia, which is very risky in a puppy and will show you nothing except the state of the airway at x weeks of age--puppies grow. Pigmentary Keratitis due to dry eye also affects something like 80%+ of all pugs.

Pugs are expensive breeds to own because of the high potential need for surgery. I would suggest insuring your pup, but if you can't afford the vet costs, another breed would be best. I do think that if she provides you with health reports of the parents I would feel more reassured, or if you could meet the parents to see how badly they struggle with breathing.
    shaynapug, CSollers and Hellas like this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Scootaloo's Page!

jesslovespugs is offline New to the Village

Default thanks for your response...

Quote Originally Posted by mieu View Post
    I don't think there are any breeders who guarantee against that. A brachycephalic dog will have brachycephalic airway syndrome, that's unavoidable. Some dogs have it worse than others and need surgery, but there is no genetic testing for 'how bad' a dog has it. The only way a vet could 'report' how bad the airway is is to put the dog under anesthesia, which is very risky in a puppy and will show you nothing except the state of the airway at x weeks of age--puppies grow. Pigmentary Keratitis due to dry eye also affects something like 80%+ of all pugs.

Pugs are expensive breeds to own because of the high potential need for surgery. I would suggest insuring your pup, but if you can't afford the vet costs, another breed would be best. I do think that if she provides you with health reports of the parents I would feel more reassured, or if you could meet the parents to see how badly they struggle with breathing.

Thanks for the reply. Its not a question of being able to insure my pug (i will be doing that) or paying for their medical costs when they arrive. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't signing a contract that was deficient. I've read many articles about what good breeders guarantee against in terms of genetic defects and I wanted to be sure that this breeder wasn't being dubious by saying she won't protect against these 2 diseases. I've owned a pug before, we had her for 17 years, so I know they are prone to certain diseases and injuries. Our luck with our last pug is that she was extremely healthy and only once sustained a slight injury to her eye. I know we were lucky

Anyway, thanks for your reply and letting me know that breeders wouldn't protect against those two diseases in a contract - I appreciate it!

+ Reply to Thread