Where should they sleep?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where should they sleep?

GoldensPugs is offline Village Puppy

Default Where should they sleep?

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are bringing home our two pug puppies today, and we're trying to figure out where we should let them sleep. We really want to let them sleep in bed with us, but we're concerned about them falling off or trying to jump off and getting hurt because they're so small (they only weighed 1.4lbs and 1.6lbs last week at their first vet checkup). It's not too high, it's just a regular metal frame with a mattress and boxspring set on it, but because our breeder just lost one of her dogs because he landed on his head and broke his neck when he was trying to jump off a picnic table we're scared about letting them up on the bed.

Where did you puppies sleep when you brought them home? Have any of them ever had problems with falling or getting hurt from jumping off the bed?
    Mama to two spoiled puglets: Abbie and Lizzie

etceteraism is offline Village Puppy

How old are these pups? Those weights seem incredibly low.....I think Monty was around around 7-10lbs when we got him at 12wks (but he was the runt). I'd be worried if they are old/developed enough to be away from their mom.

That aside, originally we had Monty sleep in his crate because we wanted him to feel like it was his home. This way he would be comfortable going in it when we crated him when we were out of the house. He cried a lot the first couple of nights-filling a hot water bottle and wrapping that in one of my boyfriend's old tshirts really helped. It's the first time many of them have slept alone, so having something warm and familiar-smelling to sleep against is very soothing. I'd definitely recommend crate training from the start. It also helps with potty training, as dogs don't want to go to the bathroom where they sleep. I guarantee if you start them off in your bed, they WILL go to the bathroom on it-puppies can't hold it in the whole night. Be prepared to get up in the middle of the night for the first while-for us it only lasted a couple of weeks but for others it can last months.

Eventually, we started letting him sleep in our bed, but it became too disruptive-he insisted on sleeping between our pillows and sharing them with us. It was hard to get a good nights sleep and he refused to stay at the bottom of the bed, and he often stained the sheets a bit. Now that he's older, we don't need to crate him at night, so he just sleeps in a dog bed next to us. When one of us is out of town, he gets to sleep in our bed as a special treat (but really, it's more for us to have company instead of feeling alone!).

GoldensPugs is offline Village Puppy

They are 8 weeks old today. Their mom is really small, only about 13lbs, so that's the reason for their small size.
    Mama to two spoiled puglets: Abbie and Lizzie

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Mine was 1lb at 8 weeks, some puppies are smaller, I guess. We had her sleep in her bed next to our bed at first, so I would wake up to take her to potty when she woke up at night. I lifted her bed on to our bed because it helped me sleep better, and then she started sleeping on the bed in afternoon naps with my husband... Basically, she slept with us from very early on.

paxe is offline Village Mayor

I would higly recommend for you not to put them in your bed, they snore like hell hahahaha
    Onces you put them there you will never get them out lol.

I started out with a small travel crate next to the bed(due potty training) and a dry bed(it's a blanket that stay's dry on top incase of accidents)
    But then I had to slowely get him out of the bedroom to get some sleep.
    Since you have two it might be better to start right of in the hallway or livingroom wherever you want them to sleep.

And if you want them quickly potty trainned, every two hrs out of bed for a couple of days, then exstand the time with 15 minutes.
    If they had a accident go back 15 minutes untill they keep it dry the full 8 hrs.

+ Reply to Thread