Restless Pug Syndrome!?!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Restless Pug Syndrome!?!

AmberB is offline Village Admiral

Default Restless Pug Syndrome!?!

Ellie has been having a difficult time at night lately. Part way through the night she will start moving around trying to find a new sleeping position. She proceeds in the usual Pug fashion of circling. sniffing, scratching until she finds the perfect spot....then settles in, seemingly comfy, but then before I can count to 3 she's up and doing it all over again. Last night she did this for over 2 hours. Under the covers, on top of the covers, couch, bed, crate, on me, off me, etc, etc, etc.

Thinking she had to pee I tried to take her outside but she just sat in the middle of the living room in the dark....creepy-like..... Like she had no idea what she was supposed to be doing.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain and during the day she seems normal (for her anyways) so I don't think she's sick or injured. She seems relatively aware while she's doing it so I don't think it's seizures. She's not hungry and she's been played and exercised out too.

I've been joking around that she's got Restless Pug Syndrome but I just read that dogs can get restless leg syndrome. I hope that's not what it is since I have RLS and its no picnic.

My only other thought would be some kind of mental issue which is not out of the realm of possibility since she does have anxiety and paranoia....but she's not even a year old, could cognitive issues show up this early? Since I haven't witnessed seizures I don't think its PDE.

Obviously I will take her to the vet if it continues but I don't wanna jump the gun assuming the worst if she's just got a bout of insomnia or something.

Just thought I'd see what other Pug Villagers think about it.....experience anyone?

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

Maybe it's a tummy ache or perhaps with the changing season, she is getting too hot under the covers and too cold on top Hope you figure it out and she starts sleeping better!
    shaynapug likes this.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

Thanks! I hope she sleeps better soon too.......hubby and I are feeling abit sleep deprived!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

The only thing I can think of is that something is bothering her, tummy ache maybe. If you got up with her and watched TV or something, would she settle on the sofa or where ever you were sitting. Does she settle in the evening before bed?
    Susan, mom to Bo, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

Suri, I got up with her in the night and tried to settle with her on the sofa but she kept doing the same restless thing. I even brought a blanket and snuggled in thinking she'd just cuddle up with me but no such luck. If she did have a tummy ache she hid it well. I tried to palpate it to feel for tenderness and she didn't tense up or anything. Its a mystery. She usually is pretty sleepy at bedtime and goes to her crate to sleep for a few hours...then later she climbs into bed with us. Its only lately that after being up on the bed for an hour or two that she starts to get restless.

We are off to bed now so we'll see what tonight brings.... (wish us luck) LOL!

Rosemary is offline Village Admiral

Hmmm...... maybe after she has been in crate for a few hours and then goes to bed with you guys, she isn't really tired anymore? Like maybe she had a nice nap and it's hard for her to settle again?
    ~Rosemary
    Mom to Gromit the pug, Butters the yellow lab,
    Maisie the blind yorkie, and Callie the cat

Always missing Maddie & Bijou

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I hope you figure it out so all can sleep well. My guess would be a tummy ache or similar as well.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

MrsBatman is offline New to the Village

Hi Amber,

Did you ever find out what was going on? Last night our pug did something similar but it only lasted 10-15 minutes. Today we have been going on three hours of him not being able to get comfortable. Poor guy seems exhausted but just can't get comfortable for more than a two minutes. We will be heading to the vet in a few hours but I wanted to see if you had any solutions.

Thanks!

Sorry you are having a similar problem with your Pug. Glad you are getting him checked out just in case its something medical. We never did figure it out with Ellie. She still does it randomly and in fact is doing it this week. She's been getting up several times a night and just sitting in the living room, looking around like she's not sure what she's supposed to be doing.

Hope you get an answer and that your little guy isn't sick.
    Keep us updated if you can...

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Keep a journal....and try to video. Show it when you talk to your vet!

Seeing it being nothing major!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast