Pug stomach twitching at night
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SiennasMommy

Thread: Pug stomach twitching at night

glitterbrain is offline New to the Village

Default Pug stomach twitching at night

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site but I just wondered whether any of your members might be able to help me with something. I currently own a beautiful one and a half year black Pug called Pablo. He's amazing and I absolutely adore him.

A couple of months ago (in the evening) I noticed that he started doing this twitching from his stomach. It's not like normal hiccups, as he looks slightly dazed and appears to be in some discomfort. He's completely aware of what is going on around him and the episodes last from around 15 minutes to 40 minutes. He did it around once every couple of months. Initially, I put this down to having changed his wormer from Milbemax to Drontal and the vet (having seen the video footage) said it was stomach cramps and this was possibly caused by the wormer. Anyways, last night, the same thing happened again, except this time he hadn't been wormed or anything like that. He whined, I went down stairs and, again, he kept twitching in the lower end of his body, pacing slightly, sitting up right and refusing to fall asleep. Eventually, it stops and he's fine.

I can't establish whether these spasms or twitches are neurological or abdominal pains. My vet didn't seem that concerned when I showed her the footage. I am currently keeping a diary of when they happen and, as I say, he's had three bouts of it in the last four months. Is anyone familiar with anything like this? Or does anyone have any advice which may be useful for me? I've looked through some old threads which seem to suggest similar problems but nothing is ever concretely diagnosed.

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

Welcome to the Village, Pablo and Glitterbrain. We're glad you're here (but wish your baby were doing better).

Pablo is in discomfort from these long episodes and the vet isn't concerned (especially since you have video which is a real help to them finding a cause)? First, I would find myself another vet (gee, I seem to be saying that a lot lately). Seriously, Pablo shouldn't have to be in discomfort that long. Get another opinion. I'll see what I can find on the internet and be right back.

Okay, here's what I found...
    Why Is My Dog Having Abdominal Muscle Spasms? - Blurtit
    JustAnswer
    You can touch her back lightly and see if she reacts - be gentle.
    http://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/3c...-whimpers.html

I would definitely get another vet opinion. These spasms/twitching is happening for a reason and if it's uncomfortable, it needs to be looked into. Your vet should run some tests and get to the bottom of it.

Please keep us posted as to what is going on as we care about Pablo.
    Last edited by SiennasMommy; 11-27-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    CSollers likes this.
    Sienna's Pictures and Bio - http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1302954 I love you, baby girl!

Help Lisa (6 Beautiful Pugs) and the senior pugs at the "Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch" through their Amazon Wish List http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi.../104M0QBM5XSWW

glitterbrain is offline New to the Village

Thank you very much for your response! The links you sent me were very interesting. The reference to constipation - may also be valid - as I've recently switched him from kibble to home-cooking (literally, in the last three days) and I noticed he was straining more than often. He's quite a sensitive little pug and he easily gets an irritated stomach. As you say though, it's best to get any discomfort looked at.

I'll keep a note of it and if he does it again, then, I'll try going to a different vets if they remain indifferent about it.

Thanks again SiennasMommy :-)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Tinker's mom is online now Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! So sorry to hear your pug is having problems. I agree to getting a second opinion and hopefully you'll get a proper diagnosis. Glad to have you aboard!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

omar zafar is offline New to the Village

Hi, Actually your pug needs medical checkup so you'll know what problem is ?

+ Reply to Thread