Cleaning nose wrinkle
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nina_W

Thread: Cleaning nose wrinkle

Martine3005 is offline Village Puppy

Default Cleaning nose wrinkle

Just got my 11 month old female pug (Bella) and im trying to clean her nose wrinkle but she hates it and wiggles loose. Dose someone have some advice?

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Patience.

Get her very favourite treat. Put it within easy reach of the couch or bed where you will be sitting to clean her wrinkle. Also get your cleaning supplies - a baby wipe, a facecloth, a tissue, whatever you use.

Then, fetch Bella.

Tuck her body under your left arm (if you're right handed, otherwise vice versa), under your elbow. Bring your arm up underneath her, between her front paws, and gently hold her head. It is important that you are calm, yet assertive. In this way, you can very effectively restrain her one handed, and you can keep her head still - but you must stay calm, and you must be firm, but gentle. With your other hand, use your preferred cleaning method on her wrinkle. Then, immediately after, feed her the treat, and let her go.
    Soon enough they learn to tolerate it. If she's very scared, just touch her face at first, then let her go. Build up slowly to a full on wipe - I know mine was hesitant about the facecloth I use at first, so I would not even try to put it in the wrinkle, I'd just gently touch her with it, then let her have the treat and let her go, until that was fine. Then I'd make a wipey movement along a bit of her wrinkle, until that was fine. Then, I built up to a full on side to side wipe, not going into the wrinkle yet. When that was fine, I found it fairly simple to move on to wiping in the wrinkle - nowadays she presses her face into the cloth, and often has a good face wipe herself before I can wipe her wrinkle. This was a process of a few weeks.

Always, always reward with their favourite treat directly afterwards. I have a special treat that she only gets after a wrinkle clean - doggy yogurt drops. They're really not good for her, all fat and sugar and nothing else, but she loves them, and their rarity makes them extra special.

I have taken to cleaning her wrinkle when I bath her, with a clean, moist facecloth, once a week. Some pugs need a much more frequent cleaning.
    Last edited by Nina_W; 12-18-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    puglover18 likes this.

puglover18 is offline Village VP

Quote Originally Posted by Nina_W View Post
    Patience.

Get her very favourite treat. Put it within easy reach of the couch or bed where you will be sitting to clean her wrinkle. Also get your cleaning supplies - a baby wipe, a facecloth, a tissue, whatever you use.

Then, fetch Bella.

Tuck her body under your left arm (if you're right handed, otherwise vice versa), under your elbow. Bring your arm up underneath her, between her front paws, and gently hold her head. It is important that you are calm, yet assertive. In this way, you can very effectively restrain her one handed, and you can keep her head still - but you must stay calm, and you must be firm, but gentle. With your other hand, use your preferred cleaning method on her wrinkle. Then, immediately after, feed her the treat, and let her go.
    Soon enough they learn to tolerate it. If she's very scared, just touch her face at first, then let her go. Build up slowly to a full on wipe - I know mine was hesitant about the facecloth I use at first, so I would not even try to put it in the wrinkle, I'd just gently touch her with it, then let her have the treat and let her go, until that was fine. Then I'd make a wipey movement along a bit of her wrinkle, until that was fine. Then, I built up to a full on side to side wipe, not going into the wrinkle yet. When that was fine, I found it fairly simple to move on to wiping in the wrinkle - nowadays she presses her face into the cloth, and often has a good face wipe herself before I can wipe her wrinkle. This was a process of a few weeks.

Always, always reward with their favourite treat directly afterwards. I have a special treat that she only gets after a wrinkle clean - doggy yogurt drops. They're really not good for her, all fat and sugar and nothing else, but she loves them, and their rarity makes them extra special.

I have taken to cleaning her wrinkle when I bath her, with a clean, moist facecloth, once a week. Some pugs need a much more frequent cleaning.
    Great tutorial!!
    Mommy to Milo ~ Apriil 1, 1997 - August 26, 2013 ~
    ~Always in our Hearts ~ Never Forgotten ~
    Mommy to Zuko born on November 9, 2013

+ Reply to Thread