MCT and justanswer.com.....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: MCT and justanswer.com.....

plagalcadence is offline Village Puppy

Default MCT and justanswer.com.....

Hello Everyone,

Having a really tough time right now, I'm posting a question/answer I just made to justanswer.com...has anyone ever used it?

http://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/88...r-removed.html

Boyfriend is taking cadence to the vet right now as I am stuck at work.

Any experience with grade 1 tumors and a recurrence this quickly????

Loconn55 is offline Village Royalty

Dr. Chumley, my pug, didn't have his tumor graded, but after a month of treatment on his paw MCT with steroids, benadryl, cannabis oil and Tagamet, his paw looked normal again, and my two vets told me he'd been "cured."

But just a few weeks later, after I tapered him off the meds, the tumor popped up again, literally over the course of a few hours on Christmas Day, going from normal-looking tissue to a 1/4-inch open wound. I was shocked at how quickly it returned.

One vet had initially recommended amputating the paw because on a paw, you can't get the clear margins necessary; nearly a half inch around a tumor, I believe. I didn't want to do that, so the meds made sense, and worked beautifully. But he'd had a previous, less virulent recurrence when I tapered him off the prednisone and canna oil previously, so clearly the stalk of the tumor is still there. It's looking nearly normal again after 2+weeks of a prednisone push (high dose and then taper) and more oil and benadryl, but I'm not going to try to taper him entirely off because I'm afraid of another recurrence.

The Just Answer vet's advice seems sound to me. You might want to ask your vet about having Cadence on prednisone and tagamet along with the benadryl, and if you're in a legal MMJ state, consider using topical cannabis oil—for Dr. Chumley, that combination has quelled the 2 recurrences for us. I've also heard of good results with topical application of food-grade organic turmeric.

Good luck at the vet and keep us posted.
    Last edited by Loconn55; 01-18-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    See Lisa's (6 Beautiful Pugs) 'wishlist' for her grumble at the Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch and help them out at:http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi...ref=cm_sw_su_w

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

I think the vet was quite correct. And Loconn55's advice also good.

I currently have a boy with a grade 3 MCT, which is much more aggressive than the grade 1 your dog has. The original tumor was surgically removed with clean margins, but it recurred within a month or two. That tumor was consequently removed as well, and x-rays taken to check for organ involvement, which came back clean, but he then popped up with half a dozen tumors all over, those were removed and within days we found another half dozen. The vet and I elected not to put him through any more surgery. He is now being maintained with Tagamet, benadryl and prednisone, and is doing well although he is hospice at this point.

We also have had him on Kinavet, which is a chemo drug. The first time we used it, he only tolerated it for about 6 weeks. The second round he did great on for months and we figure it really helped hold back the cancer. The average lifespan after diagnosis of a Grade 3 MCT is only 3 weeks and Bear has lived 8 months and the vet feels he still has several months left.

I have another girl who had a grade 1, which was removed with clean margins a couple years ago and she has had no recurrence. I do have her on benadryl and Tagamet for life though, just to be safe.

Take care,
    Lisa

Take care,
    Lisa
    plagalcadence likes this.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

plagalcadence is offline Village Puppy

good news!

The doctor was certain it was not an MCT, even had the boyfriend ask if they needed to do an aspiration and the vet said definitely not! The bump was right over a suture hole so he said it was simply blood/fluids forming in the suture hole and not at all infected. He numbed it and looks like took off the head of the bump and sent us home with some medicated wipes to clean it with.

Thank god!

Am I the only one that takes their baby to the vet at the drop of a pin???

xox

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

Great news about your baby. Many if us run to the vet at the drop of a pin, anything for our pugs.
    Susan, mom to Bo, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

That is great news, however, please keep a very close eye on it. If it is not gone in a week, take him back.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Great news! Prayers the MCT stay gone.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Great news and no, your not the only one to take your kid to the doctor when their health may be at issue and they can't communicate what they are feeling...Same thing , IMHO.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

That is wonderful news!!!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

Am hoping for no recurrences. However, do a thorough check of Cadence' body every week to make sure they don't come back. If they do, get right on them while they are small. MCTs are nasty things.
    Sienna Foo Ming Geeting
    May 30, 2006 ~ January 11, 2021
    You will always always always be number one in my heart.
    I love you baby girl.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast