Where can I find the right chew toys?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By AmyR
  • 1 Post By Cheryl7777
  • 1 Post By Lu Ci and Ri Ki
  • 1 Post By z28susan
  • 1 Post By WinniePug

Thread: Where can I find the right chew toys?

WinniePug is offline Village Mayor

Default Where can I find the right chew toys?

I've bought Winnie hundreds of stuffed animals, beanie babies, and other chew toys to keep her busy for a few minutes. The problem is, Winnie will shred any stuffed animal in minutes! Once she rips a hole in the stuffed animal, she will commence to eating the white stuffing that most stuffed animals are filled with - why do toy makers put that white stuffing in these toys, knowing that most dogs will eat what's inside.

As everyone knows, eating that stuffing could have dire consequences, so my question is, Where can I buy stuffed animals that DON'T HAVE white stuffing inside? I would think that stuffed animal should be stuffed with cloth inside and out so there is no eating of anything dangerous.

I need to find something that will keep Winnie occupied for longer than a couple minutes - she loves bully sticks but she only chews on those at night, and I've tried giving her duck jerky and chicken jerky but those are dangerous for Winnie and she does not chew those, she just swallows the pieces that I give her (I'd NEVER give her a whole jerky strip at once because she would try to swallow it whole).

Does anyone know where I can find safe stuffed animals? I'm in Colorado, but I would order online if I can find some -problem is, they don't always tell you what's inside the stuffed animal.

Winnie gets frozen peanut butter, yogurt, etc., but those only last about 2 minutes. I think a marrow bone might work, but I don't know what to ask for at the grocery store(is that where I buy those?)

Working from home means that I need toys/chews that will keep Winnie occupied for a longer while (30-45 min), so I can work - she will sit at my feet and whine if I go too long without giving her attention (after about an hour or two).

I appreciate any feedback you can give me.
    WinniePoo, Winston, Silly, Silliness, Peanut head, Chubbiness, Chubby, ChubbyGirl, Big Baby, WinstonPoo....

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

I think you can get 'stuffless' toys with no stuffing whatsoever. You can over here anyway. They are still fluffy but without the stuffing, I'll see if I can find a link.....

Does she like the rubber chew toys? Or will she not entertain them?
    We did have this problem with Will when he was younger, we just had to look for tougher toys! :)

Things like this...
    www.ebay.com/bhp/no-stuffing-dog-toys
    Last edited by AmyR; 02-28-2014 at 03:41 PM.
    CSollers likes this.
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

Cheryl7777 is offline Village Admiral

You can get stuffless toys. All of my Pugs do the same thing. We can't have stuffies any more. If you get the stuffless ones they are flat but usually still have a squeeker in them. Because they are flat, we call them the Pugs's road kill babies. We buy them at Petco, some at Wal-Mart, Big Lots, and of the big box stores. You just have to look for them in the pet section mixed with the other stuffed toys. I bet if you google stuffless pet toys you will find a lot on line too.
    CSollers likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

I have to buy the stuffless toys as mine will all rip the insides out of anything else. I find them at PetSupermarket so a big pet store should have them. I have even seen them at Walgreens (a chain drugstore), too.
    CSollers likes this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

z28susan is offline Village Mayor

We get stuffing free toys for our pugs because they do the same thing. We get them at Petco, I'm sure other stores sell them as well... They love the stuffing free toys - and they still have squeakers in them too.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Susan

PuggieMama is offline Village Mayor

There are stuffless animals for sure. You can always check your local feed supply or whole sale to save money (that's what I do, they sell it here for a couple dollars less than the big box pet stores, so you're saving a lot, especially when you buy in bulk), but Petsmart, Petco, Walmart, Target, etc all have them. I know there's the problem of them ripping, so I often get them the braided toys (not the rope toys with the separate fibers/strings that they can ingest, I've heard a lot of dogs that have had very severe to fatal experiences with them, so I strongly urge you to stray away from those) my littlest one has a blue braided dog that he loves to death.

If you're looking for other alternatives, there's nylabones, kongs (my dogs love their kongs), the animals with a water bottle in them (though if your pug chews through plastic, you might want to stray away) and tennis balls. I use the tennis balls that have worn out from play so there's less fuzz, but the kong squeek toys are perfectly safe too since it's so durable (mines haven't ripped their tennis balls, both kong and regular) and most dogs love the squeak inside of the Kong ones. (:

WinniePug is offline Village Mayor

Thanks for all the suggestions. I look almost every week at my local PetSmart and Wal-Mart and the stores around here only have the stuffing toys as far as I can tell. I'll try my local PetCo as well.

I give rubber bones and various Kong toys to Winnie (some of those are expensive!), but she'll only chew on those if there is a treat inside (a dog cracker or peanut butter) and again, that will only last her about 2 minutes. She likes tennis balls. but after a day or two with those she loses interest.

Winnie LOVES empty 2-liter soda bottles (after I've removed the cap and the wrapper, the problem is, those things make A LOT of noise, so I can't really have her chewing on that when I'm on a sales call! After work, when I can give her my full attention, she doesn't need the chew toys because I smother her with attention - so much so, that she now looks away when I try to take her picture with my iPhone!

I will look again at different stores and will try the eBay link as well.

Thanks again, I will take Winnie shopping today for some (safe) stuffed toys. Wish me luck....
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    WinniePoo, Winston, Silly, Silliness, Peanut head, Chubbiness, Chubby, ChubbyGirl, Big Baby, WinstonPoo....

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

Tuffy's Toys, Durable Dog Toys, Unique Pet Toys - TuffieToys.com looks good too, maybe worth a look for you? I was trying to find something similar to some of the toys Will has, over in USA. They are in CA.
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Ellen posted that Walmart has ring bones in a 6 pack. I use beef bones from the freezer section of my grocery store some are too big but I use the smaller ones in the package. Tinker will chew on those for hours.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

+ Reply to Thread