Strange Rash on my Pug, Help!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Strange Rash on my Pug, Help!

mmay1992 is offline New to the Village

Default Strange Rash on my Pug, Help!

[IMG] [/IMG]My pug, Minnie, will be a year old in July and since we have had her she has had a few rashes. These rashes cleared up within a week though and were always on the sides of her face or the top of her head. Recently she developed a really bad case of the rash and I took her to the vet. The vet scraped off some of the rash and tested it for mites. This test came back negative. He prescribed heart worm and an antibiotic. After 2 weeks this rash has gotten extremely worse. Minnie is acting her normal self but the rash is now on her shoulder and it looks like an open wound. She also has it on her back leg and a bit on her butt. The rash starts as looking like dandruff and then it gets hard and scabs over. It seems to itch her but I am scared that she will get an infection from scratching. I have been mixing warm water and peroxide and putting it on the rash and then Neosporin. it doesn't seem to be working. The reason I haven't taken her back to the vet is because I am currently broke (like everyone these days). I have never experienced a rash like this before, has anyone else? Am i treating her the right way? Please help!
    Last edited by mmay1992; 04-14-2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Add Picture

AmberB is offline Village Admiral

Hi and to Pug Village! I am sorry Minnie is having such trouble....poor girl. There are some fantastic and knowledgeable people on this forum that can hopefully help you figure this out.
    Just to get things started...some of the questions that always come up when trying to solve skin issues are:

What type of food does she eat?
    Does her skin have an odor?
    Is she on flea control? (sometimes they are allergic to fleas)
    Does she come into contact with any plants or chemicals?

If you happen to have pictures of the rash that may help too.....plus we just love Puggy pics here! lol!
    pugsrule222 likes this.

Right now she is eating Purina One puppy chow and no plants! The vet said the heart worm would treat for fleas so no fleas and yes, it has an oder. Thank you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Hi & That looks very nasty & infected to me! If it were me, I'd be getting her back to the vet. I know it gets expensive--can you check into applying for care credit, or maybe your vet would take payments, or put it on a regular credit card if you have one? I know nobody wants to have to do that, but it sounds like your Minnie's problem is spreading. Maybe just a course of antibiotics would fix her up.

I'm sure others with more experience will be along soon to help you out. You might need to try a different food....good luck & please keep us posted how Minnie is doing.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! The area looks infected and unfortunately she needs a vet visit. Let us know how she does.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

yes, a vet visit is needed before it gets worse.
    Susan, mom to Bo, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Looks like an infected hot spot to me.

Shave the area. It will bleed. Clean the area well as you have been doing.

You will need to get her back to the vet for some antibiotics - both oral and a cream, I would think.

Hot spots will spread so you need to find the cause of the itching. It could be fleas or allergies. My Snifter had a terrible load of hotspots until we found it was a food allergy. Try switching to a totally grain free food. Grains are very common allergens.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Thank you everyone! She has been on an antibiotic for 2 weeks now, she is still taking them.

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

I understand that money is an issue, but Purina is a lousy dog food. Buy her a grain free kibble, the best quality one that you can afford and also only grain free treats. Staff at your pet food store should be able to help you out with that.
    Keep the area clean and shaved as Snifter suggested.
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana**

SiennasMommy is offline Village Royalty

Agreed with Sugarskullz. Hope your baby is doing better soon!
    Sienna's Pictures and Bio - http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1302954 I love you, baby girl!

Help Lisa (6 Beautiful Pugs) and the senior pugs at the "Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch" through their Amazon Wish List http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi.../104M0QBM5XSWW

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast