Blood In The Poo! PLEASE HELP!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Blood In The Poo! PLEASE HELP!!

Dexter pug is offline Village Puppy

yeah just done some research on it and it could be a possibility. Where would i go from here then? Would it mean having another vet visit or is there anything i can buy from a pet shop to get rid of it?

thanks

AmyR is offline Village Ninja Pug

As far as I know, it would need treating with prescription only meds unfortunately. Is your pug insured? I only ask because sometimes you can claim back some of the expenses if so and some Vets even claim straight from the insurance companies so you don't pay. I've relied on that in the past! :)
    Is he crated overnight? If not, may be an idea to start??
    9 weeks is so young, I bet he's gorgeous!!!
    Good luck
    Amy
    ~ Will's mum and servant!
    And now mummy to puppy Charlie too! Who said pugs are addictive?! :)

Yeah Im going to check my pet shop on the way home if not ring my vet. Im looking at crating him in the night but at the minute with him pooing quite alot it would be a bad idea being in such a confined space. Thanks :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Been looking at pet insurance but unsure what sort of policy is best. Going to sort something out tonight. !:)

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Pet insurance will not cover this condition because it started before you took out cover.

I am glad you are going to put off the jabs - you should NOT vaccinate any dog that is showing signs of illness and if any vet suggests such a thing you should change vets.

If you started feeding a different food to what he had at the breeder's that could cause an upset tummy. The best way to stop the runs is to switch him to boiled chicken breast or poached white fish and cooked white rice. Feed in very small portions several times a day. This should improve things in a couple of days if it is a standard icky tummy. Make sure he is drinking plenty - diarrhoea dehydrates them.

Cut out the Weetabix. Wainwrights food is pretty good. If the chicken and rice helps firm things up then after a couple of days you can start to add Wainwrights back into the diet, but keep it mainly chicken and rice and increase the proportions of dry food gradually. Still feed little and often. Once you have got him onto all Wainwrights then you can start increasing meal size and decreasing meal frequency.
    Mom to Lucy and AMC7181 like this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Gina_78 is offline Village Mayor

Personally, I would be taking the pup to the vet and having the breeder pay the bills, because the pup must have some kind of garantee? Like a 3 month viral and a year+ genetic etc?
    We got a pup that came home pooping blood, and it pooped ALOT too.We phoned the breeder who told us to take the pup to her vet (which we did) and he didnt really take much notice either, he told us it was due to the stress of its new home and the change of food etc.The next day the pup was still pooping blood so we took her back to the breeder and told her to get the pup looked at herself and then get back to us...the next day we got our money back because the pup had parvo.There was no vomiting with this pup either, although she did sleep ALOT.

Dont leave anything to chance when it comes to toy breed pups, because they deteriorate super fast.Get his poop analized (I'm surprised the vet didnt do that right away with such a young unvaccinated pup!) and just make sure everything is completly ok.Cleaning up 10 poops a day isnt so bad if you know for sure that nothing serious is wrong.
    Did your vet actually give the pup his shots whilst he had those symtoms? Here, our vets deworm all pups a week before all shots throughout the vaccinating process and their poop is analized before shots too.They also take their temp and give them a good check up etc.If a pup is showing any signs of not being 100% ok, then they wont do them.Good luck and I hope everything is ok!! :)

Hello - Quick update

Yesterday once I finished work I went to a pet store, explained the situation and she said to try a different food and come off the weetabix. She said changed him to Fishmongers finest, fish and potato, sensitive diet. Gave him a small portion of it this morning and hes only done 2-3 poos instead of normally 6-7 by now. No signs of blood. Called another vet and they said to miss out a meal today and give him some boiled rice and a little bit of his biscuits with it, keep his meals small. Hes still active, eating and drinking. They said see how he goes today/tomorrow and go from there. He had his last panacur suspension yesterday and has a couple more days to go on his PRO-KOLIN. Hopefully this is the start of him getting better. :)

His poos are still diarrhoea however I would say they are forming better now and look bigger then usual as normally they would be really small and runnier

Gina_78 is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter pug View Post
    His poos are still diarrhea however I would say they are forming better now and look bigger then usual as normally they would be really small and runnier
    Is there a reason they keep telling you to wait instead of running tests? He could have giardia, coccidia etc.Why are they telling you to wait a few days? What are they waiting for to test him exactly? As a pup with no vaccines, they should be a little more concerned as to what he could have instead of telling you to wait it out..he´s 9 weeks old.
    Did he come with a health garantee? If he did, then they may be telling you to wait it out so that the garantee runs out and then they´ll insist on testing when it´s you who has to pay? I would deffinately ask them to be more active due to the age of your pup and because he isnt vaccinated for anything yet.You may want to get a second opinion to be sure, because all the time you´re worried, it prevents you from fully enjoying your new pup ;)

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

It is pretty standard for vets here to advise waiting if there is no sign of a problem other than runny poop. Pups in new homes often get a bad tummy from the stress of moving to a new home. If the standard treatment of bland food, little and often, works it does save the pup the additional stress of vet visits and tests. I am a huge advocate of getting to the bottom of a problem with tests but there is something to be said for a conservative approach at least for a few days. If the consistency of the poos is improving and there is no more blood then my instinct would be to carry on for the time being, but to take him back to the vet on Monday to start with tests if there is no significant improvement by the end of the weekend. If things start to get worse then of course he needs to see the vet sooner.

The lack of vaccines is not as big a concern as one might first think; he is very likely still protected by maternal antibodies.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast