She needs something to bite on - what should I get?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: She needs something to bite on - what should I get?

Gina_78 is offline Village Mayor

Default She needs something to bite on - what should I get?

Since we have Emma I have got a couple of those chewie bones for her to bite on.One was a regular nylabone and the other was a green mint flavoured bone with a knot on either end (aparantly indistructable).She almost choked on both because once they were wet, they softened, they ripped easy and she was able to get some big chunks out of them and as the pug she is, she wanted to eat the chunks and couldent break it down
    So what on earth can I get her? She seems to REALLY need to bite, and as the puppy she is, I get that and I want to get her something that wont hurt her.I´ve seen wooden chew toys but there´s no way I trust those either.What do you use for your pups?

wasabimom is offline Village VP

My breeder had told me both of those types of bones were a big no-no. I recently got Wasabi a bully stick and he LOVES it! He chews and chews no bits come off! The really helpful staff at a local specialty doggie store said it's the safest to give a small breed dog. I've also had success with a kong and peanut butter!

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Rope toys are good.

For teething time you can get a face flannel, dampen it, roll it into a sausage shape and freeze it.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

wasabimom is offline Village VP

Oh, not to cause trouble....breeder also said that rope toys were a no-no as well. If the dog manages to eat the rope bits it can cause a bowel obstruction in small dogs. Instead she suggested to cut the lower leg off a pair of blue jeans, make a knot and let them play.

Zxzm83 is offline Village Mayor

If you can get them over there, deer antlers are really good. Gomez loves them and they don't break apart in large chunks.

No way would I ever buy him a bully stick. Those things are just too gross for me. His slobber covered toys are gross enough as it is.

mieu is offline Village Senator

For somewhat-edible toys, I give Scootaloo elk antlers (the marrow is easy to get to, but crumbly and softens when wet. The hard outer bone can really only be worn down bit by bit by the scraping of the teeth) bully sticks and beef trachea. The latter two are fairly smelly, but the smell disappates quickly! I always take away the chews when they reach 2" in length and I never allow her to chew unattended, ESPECIALLY with a brand new antler. She's only interested in the antler filets which are length-wise cross-sections of the antler. When all the marrow is chewed out of them (which isn't easy to do but isn't impossible for a heavy-duty chewer) it would theoretically leave two long strips of hard bone which, if thin enough, can be snapped. Scootaloo ate the marrow down far enough that she was able to snap off a bit of the bone. She puked it up, thankfully...dogs can most certainly digest bone but I fear the sharp pieces. Start her off on a whole antler to see how she likes it...Scootaloo didn't like the whole ones because they're more bone than marrow.

I use BestElkAntlers.com and BestBullySticks.com. They ship quickly, the price is right, and the chews have great packaging and are always 'fresh!'

Scootaloo doesn't really chew anything that's non-edible. We bought her nylabones but she ignores them!

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, till the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Scootaloo's Page!

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by wasabimom View Post
    Oh, not to cause trouble....breeder also said that rope toys were a no-no as well. If the dog manages to eat the rope bits it can cause a bowel obstruction in small dogs. Instead she suggested to cut the lower leg off a pair of blue jeans, make a knot and let them play.
    Blue jeans idea is good.

You need to know your dog when giving toys or chews. Any time a new one is introduced you need to see what the dog does; if there is any sign that the dog might eat the toy, or whatever, then you know not to give that kind of toy or at least never allow the dog to be unattended with that type of toy.
    wasabimom likes this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

If you give bully sticks, remember that when the end gets all gooey and stringy to cut it off. Don't want your baby choking on it. Never give them chew toys that soften or elongate if unattended. Kongs are a good chew toy with peanut butter or plain fat free yogurt and frozen.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and wasabimom like this.
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana**

Kagknits is offline Village Governor

Bully sticks were my savior when Smush was a bitey puppy! She still loves them. I get the Odor-Free sticks from BestBullySticks.com. Their prices are so much better than any of the pet stores.
    Karen

Owned by Smushyface and Sammie

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

Please be careful with a bully stick. Zoey choked on one once. It was about 5 inches long, but she chewed on it for so long that the whole stick was soggy and then she tried to swallow it. She never gets anything anymore that goes soggy. Elk antlers have been the best for her.
    Pug Mom to Chester
    Zoey, Eddie and Roxie have moved on to the bridge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast