Umbilical Hernia - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Umbilical Hernia

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

As a breeder, it is something that should always be mentioned!

If it's small....can live with it forever and not be a problem...... If larger, surgery is needed. Any surgery is scary...but this is an easy fix.

Breeder should refund some of your money as she didn't tell you about it and knew what you wanted him for!
    cellophane, Jacqui and Gina_78 like this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

No advice just wanted to say Hello and to PugVillage.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

cellophane is offline Village Governor

Was this an experienced/show breeder? Or just a hobbyist breeder? I ask this because a show/professional breeder WILL know what a hernia is, and that it is usually necessary to do surgery to fix it...minor surgery, but expensive nonetheless! A hobbyist breeder might not know about hernias...though they really have ought to have a checkup by a vet BEFORE being sold (as well as a health guarantee that if anything is found by a vet within 24 hours of sale that it should be covered...). If it was a professional breeder, than I suspect they were negligent in telling you about the hernia (and as everyone said, they should pay for the surgery). In any case, it is a small fix and won't affect his health in any way, especially now that you know about it, and it sounds like he has a lovely new home with a you as a very conscientious pet parent! Welcome to pugvillage, we need pictures of the new baby!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

lihuesue is offline Village Senator

Our Henry Lee came to us at age two, un-neutered and umbilical hernia. When we got him neutered, they also fixed his umbilical hernia. He is now 6 years old and doing just fine.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Normally a small umbilical hernia is fixed at the same time as neutering. Given that you are thinking of breeding you would obviously not be thinking of neutering BUT it is advised not to breed a dog with an umbilical hernia as it can be congenital and cause bigger issues down the line. So, if the breeder knew you wanted to breed him then you definitely need to bring the matter up.

As for whether it needs an operation urgently, only your vet can advise. My Toddy had a little one; it was not operated on because he is not neutered, but when he had surgery for a ruptured gall bladder they fixed it at that point.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

hayleynatasha is offline New to the Village

Thanks for the advice!! I've contacted the breeder I'm going to send some quotes for bet bills and hopefully they will be reimbursing the op of it comes to it. Would love to show you all some pics of Hugo but I don't know how to attach them to messages?? Haha

DexterPug is offline Village Puppy

Dexter has an umbilical hernia, we were made aware of it at the time of viewing and were given the vets details who delivered the litter through emergency c-section. The vet assured us that it was a small one and wouldn't affect his health and he was otherwise healthy. She did advise on signs to look out for as it's possible it could become strangulated (change in size and colour and discomfort when touching it).

The vet I use said it wasn't a problem right now and that they would fix it when we get his little bits seen to as if hernias aren't causing any problems the anaesthetic would be a bigger deal than a non problematic hernia.

We will get it fixed when we take him as it would be silly not to while he's asleep but it hasn't caused any problems so far, we can touch it etc and he doesn't bat an eyelid.

We haven't bought him for breeding purposes so that won't be a problem.

We think his little outie belly button is cute!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

lovemyGabrielle is offline New to the Village

Good evening
    Gabrielle is 14 weeks old and I thought she had a cute outie belly button when I purchased her so I didn't mention it to the breeder. Two weeks later it was larger so I had it confirmed with her vet that she has a hernia. I left a message with the breeder to see if her parents have the hernia or if it was from her mother biting the cord too close during labour. The breeder didn't respond probably scared I would want some money to cover the cost of the surgery which the vet said to save money he would perform when I spade her and the cost would be approximately 200 Canadian for the hernia surgery and pain meds,the total cost of both surgeries he quoted 450 Canadian. The vet mentioned that the hernia could cure itself. If anyone has any information on breeding Gabrielle I would love some feedback, I was wanting to breed my beautiful pug after her second heet, but if their is any risk to her health I don't want to risk it, so if anyone has experienced this situation with their pug can you let me know if you were able to breed her or is their some legal issues breeding a pug with a hernia ?(I have no knowledge with breeding just wanted to experience having puppies once and then I was going to have her fixed.) Thank you

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Breeding is risky!!!! No matter what.....that's the nature of breeding.

I am a breeder.......I don't know about the danger of breeding this girl over an above the normal dangers. You'd have to talk to the vet.

I would never breed just to have a litter......I only breed to try to have something nice to show. Breeding a pug is NO FUN!!! You must be prepared for the expense of the stud service.....the testing before to make sure she's ready....a possible c section..... A pug doesn't deliver on her own. YOu must be there to help and must be there the entire week before she's due as many do not go the entire pregnancy. You must be there to watch that she doesn't lay on babies....for at least the first week or two and be ready to feed every 2 hrs round the clock. My last litter I was up for almost 4 days as my girl's milk wasn't in yet and I had to tube feed 6 pups and then put them on their mom!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12