• 1 Post By 6 Beautiful Pugs
  • 1 Post By Jacqui
  • 1 Post By Tinker's mom
  • 1 Post By Lewjt

Thread: Spot on/under chin

Lewjt is offline New to the Village

Default Spot on/under chin

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on pugvillage. I've been reading it for a while now but before today, haven't needed to post my own question :).

I have an (almost) 2 year old male fawn pug called Einstein. I have had him from a puppy and he has always been the picture of health. Yesterday though, we noticed a small spot on the underside of his chin. I thought initially it may have been a tick, but after a bit of a google and a browse around on pugvillage, it didn't seem to match the description so I ruled it out. I have checked on it today and it seems to have got more red and angry looking. Rather than trying to explain what it looks like I have included a couple of photos, one from yesterday and one from today. He is his usual happy and playful self though!

He has his annual checkup in a few weeks but I will happily take him sooner if anyone thinks it would be beneficial.

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

http://twitter.com/Einstein_Pug/stat...646208/photo/1

http://twitter.com/Einstein_Pug/stat...043136/photo/1

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

It could just be a zit or an ingrown hair.

If you have an appointment within 2 wks or so......it can probably wait. If it gets bigger, I'd take him in sooner to have it checked out. They can do a needle aspiration if they are concerned....
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Just in case it's a histiocytoma or MCT, while you are waiting to have the vet look at it, I would give 25 mg. diphenhydramine and 50 mg. cimetidine (both over the counter meds you can get from your local drug store) twice a day until it either goes away or the vet checks it out and says it's okay to stop. They work synergystically to quell the histamine response. probably just a small infection, but it is best to be safe. Don't try to squeeze or pop it, if it were a MCT, you could cause it to get much worse if you did.

Take care,
    Lisa
    Nina_W likes this.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Jacqui is offline Village VP

Looks like the puppy zits that Logie gets from time to time - he's just over a year now, so don't be misled by the 'puppy' title!

We use the ear cleanser to gently wipe over Logie's face and folds and that clears them up. Our vet has checked them out on routine visits and is happy with that, advising us to bring him back only if it doesn't improve in a few days, which they always do. Occasionally a zit has bled a little if Logie has scratched it and our vet has also suggested they could be due to allergies, likely a contact dermatitis. Anyway, Logie's free of zits at the moment, so I'm not too worried.

There are a lot of advocates for using stainless steel bowls, too, as plastic bowls can harbour bacteria that cause the spots. By all means get your vet to have a look but it definitely looks like nothing serious to me.
    Nina_W likes this.
    Jacqui, mum to 3 human children and 3 furkids - Logie the pug, Luca the flat coat and Oskar the tabby cat

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! It looks like pug acne to me too. I second the stainless or ceramic bowls and clean his plastic toys if he has any. The vet definitely needs to look at it when you go. Glad to have you aboard!
    Jacqui likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Lewjt is offline New to the Village

Thankyou everyone for the responses :)

His water bowl is stainless steel and his food bowl is ceramic, so they should be ok. I think I will leave it a few days and if there is no sign of improvement, take him to the vets.
    Jacqui likes this.

DexterPug is offline Village Puppy

I just came on here to search for the same thing! Dexter has one on the edge of his lip and had two in his nose crease which seemed to get better with cleaning it with an antibacterial wipe many times a day. The ones in his nose crease are now pale and have shrunk but the one on his lip is a new one. We've got him in at the vets on Monday just to make sure everything is OK, he's due a check up anyway- I'll come back to this thread and update you, Like Einstein, Dexter is fine otherwise.

DexterPug is offline Village Puppy

Quick update. The vet said its pug acne. He said he could prescribe antibiotics but they can/ will reappear do to just bathe with salt water and to keep them clean.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Good advice from the vet :) I'm glad to hear it's nothing serious!

+ Reply to Thread