I need Consultation regarding My Pug, Please Help
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tall grass pugs
  • 1 Post By Snifter

Thread: I need Consultation regarding My Pug, Please Help

raj40 is offline New to the Village

Default I need Consultation regarding My Pug, Please Help

Hello Everyone, I am from India and I have a Pug which is 3 months old. The problem with him is his weight. His weight is now 6kg. When I visited VET doctor he gave him a medicine which is for killing the worms inside his stomach, he said that due to the worms your pug is overweight.

I want to know when its weight will be normal ?

Is that worm medicine really helps ?

I am giving him drools and milk in food is that okay ?

Kindly help thanks

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

In this country, a worm infestation would produce weight loss, not weight gain. But the worm infestation will produce hunger pangs which might be leading to overeating. Please carefully worm your dog and dispose of poop pug and otherwide to prevent reinfestation. Please also know that fleas are a vector of worm infestation. Get with your vet to put your animal on a regular schedule of check ups for reinfestation. If you give treats, please subtract the treats from the daily food allowance and put down food at least twice a day for fifteen minutes. More than that will attract fall of dust, hair and insects. If the animal is hungry, fifteen minutes at regular times will cause the pug to clean the dish. Measure the food and always use the same measuring utensil. Do not free feed. I wonder about milk, I don't use it-ask your vet on this one. It seems redundant if you are using good kibble. What are drools?
    shaynapug likes this.

raj40 is offline New to the Village

Hii Thanks for your reply.

Mostly people here feed dogs with milk, the milk we use to feed him is without fat milk.

And Drools is a dog food as same like Pedigree is. Check this www. drools .in

Can you tell me more about reinfestation ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Dogs frequently don't do well on cows milk. It's not the fat content, particularly. If you can get hold of goats milk it would be better.

I have looked at the Drools website. Can't immediately see a full breakdown of the ingredients but it seems to be OK.

It sounds like the vet is suggesting he has a heavy load of worms inside him which is adding to his weight. That sounds a bit weird to me. 6kg at 3 months does seem pretty high - have you got a picture of him we can see? Preferably one side view while he is standing up, and another taken from above while he is standing up.

The body shape you are looking for in an adult is like this:

A puppy should be chubbier and some pugs would naturally be chunkier than mine when fully grown. An adult should have a defined waist, as in the picture, a pup not so much, but you don't want a pup that looks like a football with legs.
    Nina_W likes this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Little pups look fat when full of worms. It can also be deadly if not treated in young pups.

I don't know what kind of medicine that is..... Here we treat for 3 days and then again for 3 days in 3 weeks. You need to take stool samples in to make sure that he has no more worms.

I have had 3 month old pups weighing anywhere from 5-8lbs.......but it depends on your pup!

Feed twice a day.....I feed kibble so feed 1/2 C twice a day...with a bit of canned food in it. I do not free feed.

Glad that you caught that he has /had worms!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread